Skin Cancer

49 posts
26 Feb 2012
jodieF
Model
jodieF
My life has been turned upside down over the past few days because on Friday I was told that I had a suspected Melanoma. This is the most dangerous and uncommon type of skin cancer. I have been made an urgent appointment at the hospital tomorrow morning for it to be removed. When speaking with my GP on Friday, he said it was highly likely that it was caused by heavy UV radiation from the sun and also from tanning booths. I will admit that in the past few months I have been using tanning beds quite alot.

I can honestly say that the past couple of days have been the most scariest of my life. I cant think of anything else and I am petrified. So I just wanted to say to any models (or even photographers lol) who are using sunbeds to think twice. Photographers hate fake tan, we all know that, and that probably encourages models to use sunbeds instead. I know how convenient it can be, and sometimes even enjoyable, to just go under the lamps for 5 minutes and come out looking more tanned. But for me now Ive realised that they are just not worth it. Even with the small chance of it being benign (the doctors words, not mine), the wait to find out is agonizing.

Im not saying that we should start using fake tan instead - which is the safest option obviously - but Im saying that perhaps models should kind of embrace being pale and interesting for shoots, and if we really cant stand the untanned look surely something can be done in photoshop? I hate to sound like Im preaching and I was one of them people that thought 'oh it will never happen to me'. But I cant believe Im in this situation now, and if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone.

Posted 26 Feb 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Good luck at the hospital Jodie.

Posted 26 Feb 2012
sorry to hear that Jodie. I hope everything can be reversed for you and you can go on and lead a healthy life. Best wishes x

Posted 26 Feb 2012
For_Arts_Sake
Photographer
For_Arts_Sak..
I'm really sorry to hear that, and I hope that you'll be OK. Your advice is sound - and personally, I like models with pale skin as it tends to suit my style of photography better.

Ed

Posted 26 Feb 2012
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
sorry to hear your news. I hope all goes well at the hospital. I'd take it easy as these doctors don't always know everything. I once got told I had cancer and had an emergency op done 2 days later. after 2 months of tests and worrying it turned out I didn't.

let us know how you get on at the doctor's.

Posted 26 Feb 2012
Good luck Jodie I hope everything turns out ok for you. lots of love xxx

Posted 26 Feb 2012
AtkinRJ
Photographer
AtkinRJ
We've not worked together or met......yet, but I have just read your post above.

You are in my thoughts and prayers that everything turns out ok for you. Keep positive and keep smiling.

Richard

Posted 26 Feb 2012
Dom
Photographer
Dom
The very best of luck Jodie, hope all turns out well in the end.

Dom

Posted 26 Feb 2012
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Good Luck - Stay strong!

Posted 26 Feb 2012
landmproductions
Photographer
landmproduct..
Take a friend with you, as you will never remember everything thats told to you, it can be too much to take in, especially when your scared. Your sunbed advice is spot on, the damamge sunbeds can do is well known and documented.

Wishing you well

Posted 26 Feb 2012
RonA
Photographer
RonA
landmproductions

Take a friend with you, as you will never remember everything thats told to you, it can be too much to take in, especially when your scared.

+ 1  I don't know you but fully understand that this is a stressful time for you.

Good luck and stay positive cheeky

Ron
Posted 26 Feb 2012
N_A_Photography
Photographer
N_A_Photogra..
This is alful im sorry to hear this I hope it's good news let us know how you get on

Nikkala

Posted 26 Feb 2012
ratisha_photography
Photographer
ratisha_phot..
its scary

my auntie got sunburned in spain while tanning in the 90s and unfortunatly passed away after along battle with it but in one of her last converstions she said she wished she hadnt been so vain and listened to the doctors (who wanted to amputate her foot) but se opted for just chemo instead had she had the opperation to remove her foot chances are she would of made a full recovery

take care of yourself and listen to the doctors the only 100% way to overcome cancer (or pre cancer) is to have all mutant cells removed it may leave scars but your life is worth it in the end

good luck with your hospital appointment and i hope you get the all clear

ratisha

Posted 26 Feb 2012
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
My thoughts are with Jodie. I'm not having a go but you are laying the blame on the sunbed. Yes they are dangerous but so is the sun. You said you've only been using the sunbeds for the last few months. I'm not a doctor or claim to know what I'm talking about. Yet we must not forget how dangerous the sun is adding these sunbeds to the mix is by no means helping.

Proving what caused your condition would be impossible. Your warning against them is justified yet we cannot forget the sun. How many of us take the precautions that we're told to take when out in hot sunshine. I'm not a sun worshipper but as much as I try to cover up I don't cover up as well as I should.

I hope you come out of this with good news and well done for coming on here and warning against the use of sunbeds. I thought I was having a bad weekend but it is nothing to what you must be going through.

Posted 26 Feb 2012
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Wishing you all the best.

Posted 26 Feb 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join