What to wear on an outside fashion shoot

What to wear on an outside fashion shoot

34 posts
20 Feb 2012
Hello,

I have some outside fashion shoots booked this week and i don't know what to wear, I don't want look too casual and boring. I am based near an marina with yachts, so i was thinking perhaps a smart dress with heels and a biker jacket? and maybe woodland shoot i could wear my biker boots a nice top a parka coat.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Posted 20 Feb 2012
camerawerks
Photographer
camerawerks
Have you asked the photographer you'll be working with yet?

Posted 20 Feb 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
If it's a fashion shoot shouldn't a fashion... um, person... be providing the um... fashion?

Posted 20 Feb 2012
oh sorry my bad maybe i should of been a little clearer, its a general outside shoot, i was hoping to hear from models about what sort of outfits they would wear! didn't realise togs could offer advise here too!

Posted 20 Feb 2012
ajc07977
Photographer
ajc07977
SuzyLaura

Hello, I have some outside fashion shoots booked this week and i don't know what to wear, I don't want look too casual and boring. I am based near an marina with yachts, so i was thinking perhaps a smart dress with heels and a biker jacket? and maybe woodland shoot i could wear my biker boots a nice top a parka coat. Any ideas would be great Thanks

Your mix of items sounds like a car crash ... or should that be a bike crash ??

Do not try to mix up classy and trashy  n naff  (and GWC-fodder).

Then again ... if anyone is having to tell you this 
Posted 20 Feb 2012
Cody
Model
Cody
Sounds like the biker boots would go better with biker jacket
Posted 20 Feb 2012
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
The options are endless, at a marina, you can go with the theme, maybe a horizontal striped T shirt and a cheap sailor cap (around a fiver), with shorts or leggings. If you only want half length shots, what you have on the bottom doesn't matter.
Do the posh look, do the tarty look, it really is up to you and the photographer. As I said, go with the theme or oppose it.

A fashion shoot is a loose term. Jeans and T shits are referred to as casual but I can think or little less fashionable than a pair of jeans. The fashion boffins on here will tell you that fashion is not fashionable, but "high fashion" and to me, that is clothes hardly anyone wears in reality, which makes it far from fashion to a t**t like me.

You can mix a posh dress with a biker jacket, there are no rules, but treat that as an extra shot, besides, the jacket will be handy this time of year. This doesn't, in my mind, make it GWC fodder at all.

Only you know who the photographer is so look at what he has done well and maybe work along those themes as you are more likely to get good results.
If you ask a photographer to do a style and it isn't something he or she has done or done well, you are more likely to be disappointed with the results.

Posted 20 Feb 2012
I will wear what i feel comfortable in and i can assure i do not dress trashy! biker jackets are very in fashion at the moment!

Posted 20 Feb 2012
ajc07977
Photographer
ajc07977
mattharper

The options are endless, at a marina, you can go with the theme, maybe a horizontal striped T shirt and a cheap sailor cap (around a fiver), with shorts or leggings. If you only want half length shots, what you have on the bottom doesn't matter. Do the posh look, do the tarty look, it really is up to you and the photographer. As I said, go with the theme or oppose it. A fashion shoot is a loose term. Jeans and T shits are referred to as casual but I can think or little less fashionable than a pair of jeans. The fashion boffins on here will tell you that fashion is not fashionable, but "high fashion" and to me, that is clothes hardly anyone wears in reality, which makes it far from fashion to a t**t like me. You can mix a posh dress with a biker jacket, there are no rules, but treat that as an extra shot, besides, the jacket will be handy this time of year. This doesn't, in my mind, make it GWC fodder at all. Only you know who the photographer is so look at what he has done well and maybe work along those themes as you are more likely to get good results. If you ask a photographer to do a style and it isn't something he or she has done or done well, you are more likely to be disappointed with the results.

I'm all with you here cheeky

I just had visions of a 'result' that is not 'one theme or another' ... and EITHER the model or photographer should hopefully have some SIMPLE themes that are easy and low-maintenance (yet very effective).

Posted 20 Feb 2012
Edited by ajc07977 20 Feb 2012
Just to be clearer biker boots as in black boots not actually real motorbiking wear or leathers!
Posted 20 Feb 2012
mattharper

but "high fashion" and to me, that is clothes hardly anyone wears in reality, which makes it far from fashion to a t**t like me. .

You have to think of 'high fashion' differently to clothing. Fashion is change for the sake of change, for most people high fashion shows you this season's 'changes' - colours, fabrics, shapes and the 'normal' clothes take the individual 'changes' and break them up and water them down in to clothes to wear. If high fashion were boring, bland and wearable to start with then there wouldn't be much inspiration for the wearable clothes would there?

Even if a photographer is not interested in high fashion in some ways it is much more sensible to look at that than regular clothes. Why? Because yes that red velvet, assymetric dress with ridiculously oversized shoulders, tacky over the top sequin detail, mismatching shoes and plunging neckline with excessive gold accessories has just told you as much about fashion trends as 6 high street outfits and probably in a much more timely manner. It may look awful, unwearable and ridiculous to you but wait, the way that red velvet drapes with the gold jewellery, thats not bad and boom, you have something wearable, normal and fashionable. Those sequins are way to excessive but if they were just one the handbag.....another wearable fashion.
Posted 20 Feb 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
JadedRed

You have to think of 'high fashion' differently to clothing. Fashion is change for the sake of change, for most people high fashion shows you this season's 'changes' - colours, fabrics, shapes and the 'normal' clothes take the individual 'changes' and break them up and water them down in to clothes to wear. If high fashion were boring, bland and wearable to start with then there wouldn't be much inspiration for the wearable clothes would there?

Even if a photographer is not interested in high fashion in some ways it is much more sensible to look at that than regular clothes. Why? Because yes that red velvet, assymetric dress with ridiculously oversized shoulders, tacky over the top sequin detail, mismatching shoes and plunging neckline with excessive gold accessories has just told you as much about fashion trends as 6 high street outfits and probably in a much more timely manner. It may look awful, unwearable and ridiculous to you but wait, the way that red velvet drapes with the gold jewellery, thats not bad and boom, you have something wearable, normal and fashionable. Those sequins are way to excessive but if they were just one the handbag.....another wearable fashion.

You've hit it on the head.............some get it, some don't. cheeky
Posted 20 Feb 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
SuzyLaura

Just to be clearer biker boots as in black boots not actually real motorbiking wear or leathers!

I'll be pedantic, engineer boots. smiley
Posted 20 Feb 2012
i think its fun to mix things up!

well no they are not steely's but i could just put my old boiler suit on too lol

Posted 20 Feb 2012
starr8
Model
starr8
Think Jigsaw and Burberry. Three quarters jackets, leggings and boots. Hats are great, berets and chunky scarves.
If you are near a marina think navy and white, have a look at Crew Clothing as they have a great casual look.
Flat pumps, neck scarf and big jumpers..
Hope this helps,
Helen.

Posted 20 Feb 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join