[ Chaperones, Yet Again] ">Is it a good idea ... [ Chaperones, Y...

Is it a good idea ... [ Chaperones, Yet Again]

It seems this conversation has now been locked
61 posts
2 Feb 2012
Blacklion
Photographer
Blacklion
Is it a good idea to allow boyfriends to chaperone models to a shoot?

For the first time, I have - not asked - but been told by a model she is bringing her boyfriend to a shoot. It's a 'time for' shoot and I'm wondering if this is a good idea? I have had make up artists attend shoots and on one occasion, a model brought her model friend. I would like to shoot this model and I'm very friendly with most, but is this a good idea and what experiences have we all had on this matter?
More great reading for those who don't look in General Chat :-
~§~ Chaperones / Macaroons ~§~

Posted 2 Feb 2012
Edited by ForumModerator 2 Feb 2012
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
Well, this has been done to death - so search for chaperone threads.

Sounds like you do most of your shooting from a home studio. Is there room in there for three people or is it going to be uncomfortable? If the boyfriend isn't in the studio with you (or stairs/bathroom etc.) are you happy for him to be roaming 'round your house unwatched, or are you expected to find some entertainment for him?

If he has to come along to drop the model off, it's not unreasonable for him to bugger off and watch football in the local pub while the shoot is progressing. You've got plenty of positive feedback... if the model is worried about you for some reason she can always contact someone you've previously worked with.

I'd tell them both 'no'.

Posted 2 Feb 2012
Bonno
Model
Bonno
Oh the chaperones again. OK, so I personally only took one when I first started out. And on one occasion with a photographer who was quite happy as it was a night shoot and driving 2 hours, so more for the dark driving than the shoot. On all occasions my chaperone had either dropped me off and gone off, or sat in another room quite happily on their laptop minding their own buissness. Alot of photographers feel chaperones are a bad idea, I understand after hearing a few reasons myself. However, I do not feel all chaperones should be tarred with the same brush. Same as photographers shouldn't be tarred with the same brush. I have modelled without a chaperone for ages now, but after recent news about a photographer that turned out to be extremely dodgy, who had contacted me on several occasions... I am now jubious myself. Also after having two bad experiences in the past. Before you say no, why not ask her to consider a female chaperone or come to some sort of arrangement? Not all chaperones are the same, like not all photographers are the same
Posted 2 Feb 2012
Photoflash
Photographer
Photoflash
I have shot many calendars, all over the world, mostly using amateur models, I never objected to chaperones or boyfriends as I had a large and heavy Manfrotto video tripod to carry, so the boyfriend carried it. I shoot on film, 6x12 and larger. Strangely enough on subsequent shoots with the same models the boyfriend was unable to be there!

Posted 2 Feb 2012
Edited by Photoflash 2 Feb 2012
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
Never had a decent experience with a chaperone really, don't see why I'm expected to allow it, and yet I'm also expected to "trust" two complete strangers around my stuff when i'm concentrating on one of them. This seems to be what models often overlook.

Go with your gut, but don't ever feel bad about saying no.

And as a final, you have FIFTY ONE good recommendations. That's a hell of a lot. If a model doesn't feel safe with that, perhaps it's something she needs to work out.

PS I don't count the person who brings the model and then leaves as a chaperone.

Posted 2 Feb 2012
Edited by Socialdisaster 2 Feb 2012
Pluckphotography
Photographer
Pluckphotography
Never had a problem with it myself, but there are plenty of stories of boyfriends 'intervening' when some shot set ups get proposed.
As its a TF shoot, my personal view is you just roll with it and hope for the best.
If youre just shooting fashion, glamour fashion and maybe lingerie it should be fine. I imagine its quite a tough thing for a bloke to deal with, if its his g/f being photographed with no clothes on.

Just tell her its ok, but make it clear what stuff youre shooting and ask her to confirm her bloke will be comfortable with that. After that, when the shoot is under way, get him to help out with reflectors and her hair etc. Even if hes not wanting to kill you, he'll probably get bored!

Posted 2 Feb 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
Depends entirely on the boyfriend, level of modelling taking place at the shoot, and on you as a photographer. I don't allow chaperones on the set. And the reason is that it tends to make the model compromise to not offend or upset the boyfriend. With new models I allow chaperones, but have them wai in aother room where they can't see or hear anything. Some models and chaperones find that strange.

My explanation is this:
During the shoot I communicate a lot, and I compliment, cheer on and flirt withthe model to make her feel comfoprtable and to produce different expressions. Some chaperoning boyfriends find this offensive and think that I'm a dirty old fart hitting on their girlfriends... It often becomes uncomfortable for the model, for the boyfriend chaperone or the photographer. I know this from experience, and I don't even shoot to implied nudes...

I understand the model's point of veiw, wanting to stay safe, but it's probably better to find other ways to stay safe. And this is where the annoying part comes in. None of the models wanting to bring a chaperone ever asked for references. I have lot's of female model references that would vouch for me being safe and serious any day.

I turn down most models that insist on bringing a lifeguard to work.

J.

Posted 2 Feb 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
Photoflash
I have shot many calendars, all over the world, mostly using amateur models, I never objected to chaperones or boyfriends as I had a large and heavy Manfrotto video tripod to carry, so the boyfriend carried it. I shoot on film, 6x12 and larger. Strangely enough on subsequent shoots with the same models the boyfriend was unable to be there!
Chaperone = Sherpa(rone)...
Posted 2 Feb 2012
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
It's not often you get the chance to post before these threads are locked. There's lots of threads with this discussion. Use the search facility.
Posted 2 Feb 2012
TeddyB
Photographer
TeddyB
gerryquiff
It's not often you get the chance to post before these threads are locked. There's lots of threads with this discussion. Use the search facility.
Yes, Gerry is correct. This here thread, Mr. OP, expect it to get locked down, any time soon. The Mods are sick to death with chaperone threads. Try a search first, through the forum search option, there are already dozens of them. Morning Gerry! Was it 'minus something' outside, up there this morning? Ted
Posted 2 Feb 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
After one bad experience, I will never work with someone who insists on a chaperone.
Does the model's saftey count for me? Yes! Does my feedback reflect that I am safe to work with? Yes!

Should I need to bring a chaperone in case these people want to mug me and steal all my gear? No!
Do I bring a chaperone to my day job in case one of the females touches me up? No!

Having them there makes everything more awkward for everyone. Dads, Boyfriends, Family members etc are all problematic. The one that is the least problem is a female friend. But again, it all depends on the female etc.

Its not worth the hassle for me and wasting my time on a shoot where everyone isnt conmfortable with whats going on.

So in short, no! lol

Posted 2 Feb 2012
Blacklion
Photographer
Blacklion
I realise this has been discussed before. I have seen the threads in the past. The thing is this is the first time I've been asked. Initially, the model said she was bringing her model friend but then said her friend is busy. The model I'm shooting is 19 and hasn't had much experience in modelling. It's possible her boyfriend is also as young as she is, so they might not be mature about these matters don't you think? She intends for her boyfriend to be in the room while we shoot and to be honest I would think it rather rude to ask him to go elsewhere. And like you say Socialdisaster - wicked name! - I have 51 positive feedback and one day or another, the model really has to start thinking about attending shoots on her own.
Posted 2 Feb 2012
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
How badly do you need to photograph this beginner?

I don't do chaperones for over 18s;
I won't shoot an under 18 without a parent present (and only a parent).

However, if they want to pay me (well) for my time, then they can bring their complete family for all I care.

Posted 2 Feb 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
blacklion246
I realise this has been discussed before. I have seen the threads in the past. The thing is this is the first time I've been asked. Initially, the model said she was bringing her model friend but then said her friend is busy. The model I'm shooting is 19 and hasn't had much experience in modelling. It's possible her boyfriend is also as young as she is, so they might not be mature about these matters don't you think? She intends for her boyfriend to be in the room while we shoot and to be honest I would think it rather rude to ask him to go elsewhere. And like you say Socialdisaster - wicked name! - I have 51 positive feedback and one day or another, the model really has to start thinking about attending shoots on her own.
I'd pass. If she wants to model, I think she should invest the time to check up on a few references and leave the boyfriend at home. I don't think that's too much to ask. J.
Posted 2 Feb 2012
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
kjoleweb

During the shoot I communicate a lot, and I compliment, cheer on and flirt with the model to make her feel comfortable and to produce different expressions. .

Maybe why some models feel the need to  bring chaperones?

Had a shoot recently and the model turned up with her grandma!  She sat at the back of the studio and gave some good feedback,  then suggested it would be ok for the model to "show a bit more" - slightly surreal but a fun shoot!

Posted 2 Feb 2012
It seems this conversation has now been locked