P for professional

P for professional

75 posts
31 Jan 2012
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford

i've had a protracted discussion about the P position on my camera.

the argument made by other party was its called "P for professional" (no grin
when he said that) and one can't get much control over the camera when using it.

who feeds this bs to people ?

i'm willing to bet its a recent article in a photo mag by some
journo that has nothing better to scribe... (sigh)

Posted 1 Feb 2012
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I'd be willing to bet that while the 'P for Professional' joke is all well and good on forums, in the real world where genuine professionals have to deliver results without fail (journalists for example) it is pretty much guaranteed that P mode will give them precisely what they need (a correctly exposed image) and as such it is probably used quite often (though few will admit to it)
Posted 1 Feb 2012
Simon_P
Photographer
Simon_P
P for professional, it's true
Posted 1 Feb 2012
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
I use it sometimes, mainly for outdoor stuff (street photography).

But then I spent years toting 'round a series of Medium format cameras which were 100% manual (and metering with an L308 ), so I don't feel I have anything to prove!

I think if you're out and about, it's a great mode to have the camera in just in case something happens. Worst case scenario, the camera picks a reasonable aperture and shutter to keep you away from camera shake, and you get the shot.

I always set my cameras up to move the AF off the shutter button. So a shutter half-press just fixes exposure, and it's quick to click the top dial one way or the other to change the aperture/shutter relationship if I feel like it. This gives me the best of both worlds... I don't always want low depth of field - but if it works for a shot then I can get it without doing to aperture priority (or manual).

What I would really like is some way of designing my own program mode curves... 'cos I prefer to keep things sharp by upping ISO before I drop shutter speed too much. Canon could make some sort of editor to design them and upload them to the camera. If I could have maybe two or three custom curves, I'd use program a lot more.
Posted 1 Feb 2012
Edited by Andy_B 1 Feb 2012
paulford
Photographer
paulford
We have had this debate before, P = Professional, A = Amateur, B = Beginner. If you have Canon, Tv mode is for taking pictures off the Tv screen.
Posted 1 Feb 2012
Spike
Photographer
Spike
paulford
We have had this debate before, P = Professional, A = Amateur, B = Beginner. If you have Canon, Tv mode is for taking pictures off the Tv screen.
Bugger - I've been using "Tv" for photographing cross dressing models. Still use "Av" for packshots of HiFi & Projectors
Posted 1 Feb 2012
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Andy_B
What I would really like is some way of designing my own program mode curves... 'cos I prefer to keep things sharp by upping ISO before I drop shutter speed too much. Canon could make some sort of editor to design them and upload them to the camera. If I could have maybe two or three custom curves, I'd use program a lot more.
That's P mode with AUTO ISO then? I'll confess I've used both, just not together. I still have something to look forward to.
Posted 1 Feb 2012
digineil
Photographer
digineil
 P mode is not cool same as selective colour is not cool if it ever was laugh
Posted 1 Feb 2012
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Well I am waiting for "C" for Creative. With ISO likely to be one half or even a whole million in the next few years (Canon 1 Dx supposedly a quarter) I expect to be able to set the shutter speed AND aperture to whatever I want as a creative effect and the camera select the lowest ISO to give me a correctly exposed image! I can than play with the +/- settings (lol).
Posted 1 Feb 2012
stevephot
Photographer
stevephot
digineil

P mode is not cool same as selective colour is not cool if it ever was laugh

Selective colour is very cool, and even now in many Editorial  mags you will see awesome examoles of it.

Its just about knowing how to do it well....a bit like the vintage effect everyone is using at the moment...about 1% looks awesome the rest is just over done.

I have used P before when so much was happening there was no time to expose individual shots (but you need to shoot in RAW) so cannot use the Auto mode.

Posted 1 Feb 2012
Ricardo100
Photographer
Ricardo100
Selective colour is cool now is it? I might try that on the weekend ... * Facepalm *
Posted 1 Feb 2012
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
All the modes have their place, the trick is knowing what they do, when to use them, and more impotrantly, when not to. 

Most of my outdoor stuff is shot on P/TTL. I know how to use it, it works and delivers the results the clients are happy with.
Posted 1 Feb 2012
Ricardo100
Selective colour is cool now is it? I might try that on the weekend ... * Facepalm *
Selective colour is a popular effect in posters and suchlike (go to Covent Garden and see what the stalls are selling)...so if you wanted to make a living from photography then it might be worthwhile playing around with it. And there's no particular reason it can't be used to create a striking image for the sake of it either: (John Tisbury) (Paul Turney) Photography's an art form, there are no rules just guidelines - no limits just edges. Personally I think that lots of selective colour is trying to make a boring image slightly more interesting, in which case it's going to fail; the best selective colour is where the image was designed with selective colour in mind, or the image is almost selective colour anyway (like a brightly coloured bird against a grey sky) so the post-processing just enhances that effect.
Posted 1 Feb 2012
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
I often use P with the "shift" function on outdoor work. It's as good as any other mode if it gives the results I want.
My wife calls it "Pillock mode" for reasons best known to herself.

Selective colour.. Current ad for "The Fixer" TV prog.
It's just like any other aspect of Photography, a number of ??? photographers think it's cool to knock it, but outside in the real world it is still a good seller.

Posted 1 Feb 2012
Ricardo100
Photographer
Ricardo100
Thank you Tansy Blue for an education in Selective colouring and what Photography is
Posted 1 Feb 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join