How to slim down without developing too much muscle?!

How to slim down without developing too much muscle?!

22 posts
28 Jan 2012
NinaDee
Model
NinaDee
Hi everyone,

Need some advise, as whatever I'm doing is not working...

I'm currently a curvy size 10, aiming to go back to being a size 8.
My average excercise routine is 3-4 sessions of powerplate per week + 2-3 pole fitness (I've been doing this since october last year) prior to that I used to only do pole classes about 3 times a week.

I really started watching what I eat about 2 weeks ago, but prior, even though I never ate too much junk my eating habbits weren't healthiest.

I seem to be putting on muscle but not slimming down, as much ...

I know you can't pick and chose were to lose fat from, but my main areas are lower abs and thighs. I do aim my powerplate routine to help me with core and thighs, but also do quite abit on my upper body strength for pole.

Any advise???

Maybe I'm just being impatient but my weight doesn't seem to be changing
Posted 28 Jan 2012
paule
Photographer
paule
you're probably just toning what muscle you already have. To build muscle you really need to life heavy weights the isometric exercises you do will tone, but will build very little.

aerobic exercise: that makes you sweat, a little breathless.. though you can still talk will start to burn fat after about 20 mins... keep it up.

losing weight is not rocket science... burn more calories than you consume: including drinks.

You are what you eat.

Consider this: 1kg of fat is 7700 calories.. imagine how much food that is... it's a long slog and no shortcuts.

..you look great BTW... ( but each to their own )

Posted 28 Jan 2012
MattButlerPhoto
Photographer
MattButlerPh..
paule
losing weight is not rocket science... burn more calories than you consume: including drinks. You are what you eat. Consider this: 1kg of fat is 7700 calories.. imagine how much food that is... it's a long slog and no shortcuts.
+1
Posted 28 Jan 2012
NinaDee
Model
NinaDee
Thanks, I suppose I will keep it up. I have a weigh-in in another week ( 5 weeks since back from christmas break) so I suppose I'll see exactly how I've porgresses then. Probably just being impatient

Posted 28 Jan 2012
Running always seems to be the best way to lose fat.You will tone your legs a bit but not much unless you are doing a lot of hills.Obviously anything that raises your heart rate gets you out of breath and makes you sweat. cycling ,swimming dancing ect.

Posted 28 Jan 2012
joemurtagh
Photographer
joemurtagh
swim and jog ... will shred fat in no time.

want to loose it fast. take a rucksack for a jog with you with loads of spuds in it.

trained fitness instructor.
Posted 29 Jan 2012
Edited by joemurtagh 28 Jan 2012
Cardio will get rid of fat, cross trainer, rowing machine, treadmill and other non muscle bulking training. I happen to know as was speaking to my physiotherapist about my knee this week and the exercise I can do without developing muscles !

Posted 29 Jan 2012
kjoleweb
Photographer
kjoleweb
http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/ Just do opposite of what this article recommends.
Posted 29 Jan 2012
As mentioned, what you eat is more important than anything else (obviously exercising is important, but it looks like you've got that covered already).

If you're eating a lot of sugars and fats, stuff with additives and generally not cooking your own meals from scratch...switching this up will help tremendously. The view point about carbs will vary wildly...I tend to favour avoiding pasta, rice, anything wheat based (breads especially!), white potatoes. But others will say they're ok, just moderation.

One thing I can attest to though, is if you cut out bread entirely a positive effect IS seen regardless of whether an individual is active or living a relatively sedate lifestyle. So maybe bump up your veg and meat quota when eating, and reduce the carbs for a bit to see how your body responds to that.

Cutting out processed crap helps too. So fizzy drinks, sugar in tea/coffee etc.

Also...having muscle isn't bad...it actually helps burn fat when you're not doing anything as well.

I don't know what your definition of "too much" muscle is...but typically, serious muscle only really happens when you're hitting heavy weights. "Serious muscle" only becomes visible if your body fat percentage drops to the point where definition comes through...so like, marathon runners are skinny as anything but have serious muscle for what they do...as do sprinters (but their thighs and shoulders/arms are ridiculously impressive)

Posted 29 Jan 2012
everyone always says swimming is the best way to lose fat. irritating for me since I cant swim haha Ive been going on the cross trainer for 45mins 3 times a week for the past month or so and thats working wonders. also, drink green tea or jasmine tea; tastes like bath water at first but this also helps burn fat

Posted 29 Jan 2012
NinaDee
Model
NinaDee
Thanks for all the advise everyone. Like already mentioned I do more then enough excercise-wise, I think I just need to stick to healthy eating and hopefully this will do the trick. I've cut out all the carbs, and sugary drinks, and increased my protein and veg + fruit intake, also trying to not eat late. So now will have to wait and see
Posted 30 Jan 2012
Fraggle101
Photographer
Fraggle101
Bin the Power Plate and get onto cardio, reduce your Carbs a little and drink lots of water..

20mins on the cross trainer, then 20 mins on a bike, and 20 mins on the treadmill fast walking uphill..

Good luck with the goals..

Posted 30 Jan 2012
Fraggle101

Bin the Power Plate and get onto cardio, reduce your Carbs a little and drink lots of water.. 20mins on the cross trainer, then 20 mins on a bike, and 20 mins on the treadmill fast walking uphill.. Good luck with the goals..

+1!

Cardio, cardio, cardio and eating less/more sensibly.. You look great to me, but obviously it's however you are most comfortable! Just don't lose your beautiful curves and become boney or over do it too much..

On a side note... Do you still have your pet racoon?! I remember him being on a post aggges ago... I am so jealous!

Posted 30 Jan 2012
MikeRiot
Photographer
MikeRiot
Ellamae10
Just don't lose your beautiful curves and become boney or over do it too much..
+1
Posted 30 Jan 2012
Cody
Model
Cody
Remember muscle weighs more than fat so don't worry about those scales too much
Posted 30 Jan 2012
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join