To tan or not to tan!!

To tan or not to tan!!

27 posts
4 Nov 2011
jodieF
Model
jodieF
What with this awful weather we are having lately, and the winter months upon us, my lovely golden mediterranean tan is fading fast!! I hate looking pasty white at shoots and I know most togs absolutely loathe fake tan but I really dont think I can do a decent shoot without looking a little tanned. Im a regular sunbed user, but I have had so many this year already I dont want to go through the winter months using a sunbed every few days, (and apparently the reccommended amount to use a year is 40)!! So just wondering if anyone knows of a fab fake tan that can be used and obviously the key things are natural looking and without leaving streaks. Thanks!! Jodi
Posted 4 Nov 2011
the best "at home" tanning agents to use are spray (not sure what brand though), as youre much less likely to get streaks that way. of course, I believe if you want the best go to the best! a professional spray tan is always worth it.
I have started training in spray tanning (after years of being against fake tan), Im not sure on the best brand to go for "in salon" but if you tell the beautician you go to for a light natural tan, you'd be impressed at how natural it looks and how well it lasts. I myself dont think the tanned look suits me but my boss did mine a while ago and I was very impressed...no orange, no streaks and looked pretty nice actually!

Posted 4 Nov 2011
TonyNutley
Photographer
TonyNutley
Don't even think of what the 'best' is, don't have a fake tan at all, ever, they are most photographers biggest nightmare.

Being 'white' is absolutely no problem, photographers within reason can make you look any colour they want.

I'd rather a model had white skin, than almost any other variation, apart of course than a natural ethnic colour.
Posted 4 Nov 2011
Edited by TonyNutley 4 Nov 2011
... not to tan.
Posted 4 Nov 2011
clyde
Photographer
clyde
Def no to tan. and natural always best. I like most togs are not fans of fake in a bottle/spray/salon.

Posted 4 Nov 2011
unrelated but i saw a tanning shop called tangerine dream on tuesday.... made me
Posted 4 Nov 2011
1919_Images
Photographer
1919_Images
Theres no such thing as a 'natural looking fake tan' .

Posted 4 Nov 2011
River
Model
River
I'd just stick with a moisturiser with a gradual tan. Skin can get very dry in the winter with all the cold wind/central heating etc, so a moisturiser will be an added benefit. i've got the palmer's cocoa butter gradual bronze moisturiser and use it once or twice a week
Posted 4 Nov 2011
I'm naturally stupidly pale, and although when I fake tan I feel sexy, I love being pale and a bit different x
Posted 4 Nov 2011
NehaP
Model
NehaP
Don't tan! Natural = beautiful! Tans are really overrated, I don't know why people like them. My family and a lot of Indians think the paler someone is, the more beautiful they are!

Posted 4 Nov 2011
Finishingtouches
Make Up Artist
Finishingtouches
If done properly a tan shouldn't look fake a lot of models dont realise you can professionally have a tan done manually by a beauty therapist, spray tans are just a quick way of doing it and sometimes look fake and poop! A manual tan gives a flawless look if done properly. Taking in to consideration the things you have to do before and after to maintain the tan. To avoid streaks use a buffing mitt and make sure you exfoliate before hand, don't wear deodarant ETC. The product i tend to use and trust as a therapist is "ST TROPEZ" It's not easy to do yourself which is why i always recommend a professional If you have any questions please drop me and e-mail Dani x
Posted 14 Nov 2011
gheynen
Photographer
gheynen
Dont use fake tan unless you know exactly how to apply it! Most of the time I will refuse a shoot if the model comes in looking like an orange with dodgy patches around....it looks silly and does not add anything to the shoot except extra work for the photographer that will need to edit them!

Posted 14 Nov 2011
Belfast_Adult
Photographer
Belfast_Adult
Jodie,

As most have said, avoid it. You seem to have a great skin tone from looking at the photos on your profile.

However again as some have said, there may not be a problem if its done well. Most times its not, its patchy / streaky and has missed bits.

I do however understand you feel better about yourself if you have a glow.

I live in Northern Ireland, I see the sun once a year... Trust me you arent pale... Pasty Irish lad here lol!

Cheers,
BA

Posted 14 Nov 2011
Garnier Sunkissed Body Milk Deep is the best tan I've ever used, around £5 a bottle from Superdrug.
I swear by it. Only takes around 15 minutes to develop. Two coats of it = the best!

Always get asked if I've just come back from my holidays when I put it on and never had a photographer complain about it yet. frown

Posted 15 Nov 2011
sun beds, (not everyday obv)

Posted 15 Nov 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join