Tayside and Fife

9 posts
26 Oct 2011

Hi Ladies and Gents

Are there any networking meetings in this area?  I know that there are ones in Edinburgh and Glasgow but as I rely on Public Transport I can't get that far and back from a meeting.

So I was wondering if there were any such meetings in Tayside (Dundee, Perthshire, Kinrosshire,) Fife, or Southern Aberdeenshire areas.

If not  are there any people from Tayside (Dundee, Perthshire, Kinrosshire,) Fife, or Southern Aberdeenshire (or any other part of the world that would like to join in) who would wishing to go to a networking evening or Weekend Day somewhere in Tayside?

I was thinking perhaps in Perth (Christies or Sandemansetc) or Dundee (Trades, Menies, or Pheonix etc.) as these are the most central towns and easiest to get to.  But would look at others with public transport links such as St Andrews, Arbroath, Montrose, Cupar( Fife) or Coupar Angus, Blairgowrie or Forfar Etc.

Initially it would be to see who would be interested in coming to the meeting.  If there are sufficient numbers we could look at expanding.

Anyone interested please reply and if you have any ideas about dates, times ideas to make it more useful please feel free to contact me.

Posted 26 Oct 2011
IMM_Photography
Photographer
IMM_Photography
I would be interested, if it were a weekend, live in dunfermline although work in Aberdeen during the week. Not chased about where as I can get places and offer a lift if anyone needs it.

Ian

Posted 26 Oct 2011
PUNKuate
Photographer
PUNKuate
pinkbuildingphotography

I know that there are ones in Edinburgh and Glasgow but as I rely on Public Transport I can't get that far and back from a meeting.

Why? The trains run until after midnight. I know there is quite a few photographers in the fife area, but I think lots of them just go to edinburgh since its only, what, 30? miles away? 

What about weekend events in edinburgh/glasgow... would that be any better for you? I know there is a guy called Duncan who's been organising some mini group shoot things recently at country parks and stuff. 
Posted 26 Oct 2011
PUNKuate

Why? The trains run until after midnight. I know there is quite a few photographers in the fife area, but I think lots of them just go to edinburgh since its only, what, 30? miles away? 

What about weekend events in edinburgh/glasgow... would that be any better for you? I know there is a guy called Duncan who's been organising some mini group shoot things recently at country parks and stuff. 

Unfortunatly Lynn that is not the case out here in the boonies.

It is a £25 return trip on the train to Edinburgh from Dundee and I think that it is £27 tp Glasgow which when you put other costs fod, drink, etc added to which the last train from Queen St to Dundee in 22:00 and gets in 00.48 really means that an evening in Glasgow is out of the question.

From Edinburgh it is not so bad.  23:09 gets in at 00:39 (this is the train ytou have to transfer onto if you are on the last GLasgow Train.)

Especialy when I have to get up a 6:30 for work.

With regards to Fife Dunfermline(Used to live there)   is 20 minutes from Edinburgh, Kirkaldy is 40 minutes.

However Cuper, St Andrews and the northern town are much further away about an hour and a half by car.  Bur Dundee is half an hour Perth 40 minutes.

I was just thinking that if there were enough local people in this area to make it worth while it would be nice not to have to travel for an hour and a half to get to everything. 

I think it is just a case of trying to get some local stuff rather than having to go all the way down to the central belt.

Aslo I looked at the things in Glasgow and again travel on Sunday is a joke.  Trains every two hours.  Difficult to get to the places once you are in Glasgow..

Posted 26 Oct 2011
Edited by pinkbuildingphotography 26 Oct 2011
I arranged a special Christmas night out a few years back, I think there was about 9 or 10 of us.. In Perth at the sandeman - a few of us even made it out to the loft for a bit of dancey dancey!!

It was arranged via another website (which rarely gets used these days).

People were complaining that the networking meets were always in Glasgow and Edinburgh which is a bit of a shame for the folks travelling from Aberdeen (as Edinburgh/Glasgow is hardly Central).. Anyway the turn out was not the best, I was the only model the other few who confirmed either couldn't be arsed or had problems getting there.. Despite that we all had a great night, I then arranged a night of bowling the following year in Coatbridge which had a better turn out (I'm led to believe) but unfortunately for most of the people travelling more than a walk or short car drive away we didn't make it due to the snow.

I think there was a facebook group and they had a groupshoot in Perth about a year ago - I couldn't say how the turn out went as I was busy shooting elsewhere.
I have always said if I'm in Glasgow on the right day/time then I will attend one but I'm usually working in the morning and in the evenings when Mr Red comes home from work the last thing he wants to do is drive over an hour to meet a bunch of folks he isn't really bothered in meeting. We generally find (for us anyway) that people are much nicer in small groups, if there is people you want to meet the best way to do it is just send them a little message if you are going to be in their area. Maybe even message a few local photographers and ask them if they fancy chipping in on model costs and having a little social group shoot together? I can't remember who arranged the Perth groupshoot over on facebook.. I do think a couple of PS members attended though so if they see this they might well reply to you!

Posted 26 Oct 2011
Chrissie_Red

I arranged a special Christmas night out a few years back, I think there was about 9 or 10 of us.. In Perth at the sandeman - a few of us even made it out to the loft for a bit of dancey dancey!! It was arranged via another website (which rarely gets used these days). People were complaining that the networking meets were always in Glasgow and Edinburgh which is a bit of a shame for the folks travelling from Aberdeen (as Edinburgh/Glasgow is hardly Central).. Anyway the turn out was not the best, I was the only model the other few who confirmed either couldn't be arsed or had problems getting there.. Despite that we all had a great night, I then arranged a night of bowling the following year in Coatbridge which had a better turn out (I'm led to believe) but unfortunately for most of the people travelling more than a walk or short car drive away we didn't make it due to the snow. I think there was a facebook group and they had a groupshoot in Perth about a year ago - I couldn't say how the turn out went as I was busy shooting elsewhere. I have always said if I'm in Glasgow on the right day/time then I will attend one but I'm usually working in the morning and in the evenings when Mr Red comes home from work the last thing he wants to do is drive over an hour to meet a bunch of folks he isn't really bothered in meeting. We generally find (for us anyway) that people are much nicer in small groups, if there is people you want to meet the best way to do it is just send them a little message if you are going to be in their area. Maybe even message a few local photographers and ask them if they fancy chipping in on model costs and having a little social group shoot together? I can't remember who arranged the Perth groupshoot over on facebook.. I do think a couple of PS members attended though so if they see this they might well reply to you!
Thanks Chrissy it is giving me something to think about.
Posted 27 Oct 2011
Chrissie_Red

I arranged a special Christmas night out a few years back, I think there was about 9 or 10 of us.. In Perth at the sandeman - a few of us even made it out to the loft for a bit of dancey dancey!! It was arranged via another website (which rarely gets used these days). People were complaining that the networking meets were always in Glasgow and Edinburgh which is a bit of a shame for the folks travelling from Aberdeen (as Edinburgh/Glasgow is hardly Central).. Anyway the turn out was not the best, I was the only model the other few who confirmed either couldn't be arsed or had problems getting there.. Despite that we all had a great night, I then arranged a night of bowling the following year in Coatbridge which had a better turn out (I'm led to believe) but unfortunately for most of the people travelling more than a walk or short car drive away we didn't make it due to the snow. I think there was a facebook group and they had a groupshoot in Perth about a year ago - I couldn't say how the turn out went as I was busy shooting elsewhere. I have always said if I'm in Glasgow on the right day/time then I will attend one but I'm usually working in the morning and in the evenings when Mr Red comes home from work the last thing he wants to do is drive over an hour to meet a bunch of folks he isn't really bothered in meeting. We generally find (for us anyway) that people are much nicer in small groups, if there is people you want to meet the best way to do it is just send them a little message if you are going to be in their area. Maybe even message a few local photographers and ask them if they fancy chipping in on model costs and having a little social group shoot together? I can't remember who arranged the Perth groupshoot over on facebook.. I do think a couple of PS members attended though so if they see this they might well reply to you!
Thanks Chrissy it is giving me something to think about.
Posted 27 Oct 2011
Calandra_Images
Photographer
Calandra_Images
Would be interested in any networking events. Have not been to Edinburgh evenings so don't know if I would get to Perth. Please keep me posted if any prospect of something being organised, especially of a more practical nature,

Simon
Posted 27 Oct 2011
IMM_Photography
Photographer
IMM_Photography
I have ben unable to make the Glasgow or Edinburgh evenings as I work away, a weekend thing would be ideal for me.

Posted 27 Oct 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join