Eye makeup for dark brown eyes?

Eye makeup for dark brown eyes?

12 posts
7 Sep 2011
Hi!

I have really dark brown eyes, very thick eyelashes and quite heavy eyebrows (if I'm not careful they grow to caterpillar proportions). My eyes are also of the deepset variety so blues and purples tend to make me look bruised.

As a general rule I stick to bronzes, coppers and browns for shadow and black for eyeliner/mascara. I want to create a new look, one that will make my eyes stand out, but in a new way. Can anyone recommend any colours for me to try?

Posted 7 Sep 2011
jes
Model
jes
A soft pink/taupe on your eyelids then use a medium brown to shade the sockets and lower lashes.

Posted 7 Sep 2011
Oooh, I like the sound of that! Thank you!
Posted 7 Sep 2011
Fisherface
Make Up Artist
Fisherface
Also... try not to use too much dark eye shadow or liner near the inner on your eyes (near your nose) as this doesn't really suit your eye shape.  You may want to use a pencil or powder to draw your eyebrows in a little bit more, but make sure you don't overdo it!

Posted 7 Sep 2011
kelly_odell
Make Up Artist
kelly_odell
gold inner corner and green outer edge with dark brown in the crease .. use white waterline pencil and eyelash curlers
Posted 7 Sep 2011
Hmmm, I do see what you mean about the very dark liner at the inner corners, it does make my eyes look quite small. I shall remember that!

Is the waterline the bit on the inside of your lower lashes?

Posted 7 Sep 2011
Also, what's the professional opinion on Barry M eye powders? I have a couple, but was quite disappointed with them.

Posted 7 Sep 2011
Fisherface
Make Up Artist
Fisherface
JennyWren

Also, what's the professional opinion on Barry M eye powders? I have a couple, but was quite disappointed with them.

You mean the loose powders?  I don't like them... too messy for me.
Posted 7 Sep 2011
Yup, the loose ones. Thats why I wasn't too keen, I just ended up looking like a sparkly smudgy mess!

Posted 7 Sep 2011
Fisherface
Make Up Artist
Fisherface
Sometimes too much sparkle can look odd in images.  Glitter can come out as white or black dots. 
Posted 7 Sep 2011
Edited by Fisherface 7 Sep 2011
I have always used brown eyeshadow but when they did my make up for the daily mirror article then MUA used a kharky green as she said it would make my brown stand out more.My eyebrows are now plucked back to about half there natural thickness.

Posted 9 Sep 2011
NehaP
Model
NehaP
That's one issue for me, and I try using gold eyeshadow or dark browns and whatnot and it simply will not show up because my skin is dark alongside my eyes... Also mascara doesn't show up as well because of my dark skin, unless I wore falsies alongside mascara. Any suggestions?

Posted 25 Sep 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join