Chaperones

It seems this conversation has now been locked
176 posts
3 Aug 2011
is it right or wrong to take a chaperone with you to a shoot?

I'm asking views on this because I don't know what to do.

I had a nasty letter off a photographer telling me I'd never be a model because I have a chaperone with me for my safety.

Moderator Edit : Past threads on this topic can be found here:-
~§~ Chaperones / Macaroons ~§~

Posted 3 Aug 2011
Edited by ForumModerator 4 Aug 2011
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
Your 19 you do not require a chaperone.
If you have checked ref's then there is no need.

Some chaperones get in the way, others get moody and stop photographers shooting certain things and others steal....
Whilst there are ''good'' chaperones I think they are too much hard work :P
Its also usually distracting for the model.

Also check the forums there are tons of posts on this

Posted 3 Aug 2011
i have always took a chaperone to all my shoots i agree its for safety reasons, in this day in age anything can happen not meanin to be negative but stuff happens. Theres plenty more photographers out there that wil shoot you and understand how you feel mj
Posted 3 Aug 2011
ciaran
Photographer
ciaran
http://modelbitch.blogspot.com/2011/04/should-i-have-chaperone.html

Posted 3 Aug 2011
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
maryjane1987

i have always took a chaperone to all my shoots i agree its for safety reasons, in this day in age anything can happen not meanin to be negative but stuff happens. Theres plenty more photographers out there that wil shoot you and understand how you feel mj

Even when you go to the shop?
I mean really if you think anything can happen this day and age you really should have one 24/7
Posted 3 Aug 2011
whicker
Photographer
whicker
Just do whatever you like.

Posted 3 Aug 2011
Edited by whicker 3 Aug 2011
jes
Model
jes
Groundhog day!

Posted 3 Aug 2011
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
whicker

Just do whatever you like.

True it will just put some people off working with you.
I think those door to door salemen/women need chaperones!
Posted 3 Aug 2011
whicker
Photographer
whicker
BaileyK

True it will just put some people off working with you.
I think those door to door salemen/women need chaperones!

I've been a taxi driver, but I probably wouldn't do it again without a security guard in the front seat. For real. It just takes once incident to rattle you.
Posted 3 Aug 2011
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
I have a policy of accepting a chaperone on a shoot as long as the model doesn't bring her boyfriend along. One too many nudges and winks for my liking. I've found that mums can be fine in the past. If you became a police woman you'd be out on the beat at night on your own a few weeks after completion of your training, (well maybe not these days, I'm not sure there are any now). I think, seriously, you have to take every shoot on it's merit. If you are meeting a stranger in an obscure location, on your own, you have every right to feel vunerable perhaps, so ask the photographer if he will accept a chaperone coming with you. Many will say they don't want one present. If you're doing a shoot in an established studio with a group of photographers it's most unlikely to be necessary.

Posted 3 Aug 2011
ciaran
http://modelbitch.blogspot.com/2011/04/should-i-have-chaperone.html
+1 Check references instead. You can take one IF YOU WANT, but it will put many people off shooting you. And it marks you out as an amateur - models who do this as their full time job can't finance someone else to travel with them and attend every single shoot.
Posted 3 Aug 2011
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
KerryW91
is it right or wrong to take a chaperone with you to a shoot? I'm asking views on this because I don't know what to do. I had a nasty letter off a photographer telling me I'd never be a model because I have a chaperone with me for my safety.
There seem to be a few people about (models and photographers) who get some strange kick out of writing nasty letters - ignore them. Chaperones - personal choice. I'm sure you will find some photographers who don't mind them.
Posted 3 Aug 2011
whicker
Photographer
whicker
Tansy_Blue

models who do this as their full time job can't finance someone else to travel with them and attend every single shoot.

And there is the rub. Its not just modelling. Lots of professions , especially those of us who work alone (shopkeepers, drivers, even perhaps teachers etc) probably would feel safer with a chaperone. However, it's just not economical.

So, yeah, check references, be cautious, be sensible.  Everything we do carries some element of risk.

Posted 3 Aug 2011
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
What if your 'chaperone' was ill on the day of the shoot & you could not find anyone else to go with you, would you cancel the shoot ?

Just one of MANY reasons some photographers wont tolerate 'chaperones'.

Posted 3 Aug 2011
It seems this conversation has now been locked