Minimising the risk of scars?

Minimising the risk of scars?

11 posts
28 July 2011
Hi all,

I have some serious cuts on my leg and I'm worried about them scarring. Is there anything out there that can make the scars less noticable?

I know a few products claim to be able to do this, but does anyone have any expereinces or reccomendations for products?

Thanks,
Kirsty.

Posted 28 July 2011
Massage with a good moisturiser apparently. No personal experience though.

Posted 28 July 2011
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
dont let it dry out and dont pick

Posted 28 July 2011
flobelob
Photographer
flobelob
Without being alarmist, the sooner wounds that might produce scars are seen by medical people the better. 'Clean' cuts eg scalpel wounds, properly stitched heal with less scarring than rougher wounds, especially if tissue has been torn out and/or are at stress/flex positions. Vitamin K and E creams can help. Get them looked at!

Posted 28 July 2011
They are scalpel wounds and did not need stitching. There were 5 and they have all faded apart from the biggest one which I am worried will scar.

I will have a look at Vitamin K and E creams.

Thanks for all your replies.

Posted 28 July 2011
Bio-oil did the trick for me.  Faded my surgery scars after a month and my stretchmarks from my boob-growth spurt after a week ...

Posted 29 July 2011
Amber6
Model
Amber6
Bio-oil. Only worked slightly for me, but other people I know swear by it.

Posted 29 July 2011
dr_raj
Photographer
dr_raj
regular deep massage of the scar with something oily / greasy such as vaseline. silicone sheets from the pharmacy can help. go and see your GP sooner rather than later if the scar appears to be over-growing as he/she may want to prescribe or use steroid ointments or injections

Posted 1 Aug 2011
Araneae
Model
Araneae
Massage totally helps.  Get some jojoba oil, and give your leg a good massage.  If you have a partner, make them do it.  But the best thing you can do is to let it heal naturally and keep massaging it.  Scalpel cuts will produce very fine lines when healed and should be barely noticable.
As long as you don't pick at it and let it heal nicely you should get away with very minimal to no scarring.
Posted 4 Aug 2011
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

I have bought some bio-oil and massage it into the cuts twice a day which will hopefully work.

Thanks again =)

Posted 4 Aug 2011

Aloe Vera juice right from the plants and not only does it aid in fading the scar, it is extremely soothing.

Vitamin E Oil (You can buy the capsules and rub the oil directly on the scar)

Rose Hip Oil (This is touted as a great remedy for stretch mark scars)

Here's another remedy I found by doing a search:

You can reduce a scar by mixing 3 drops of lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia) with I teaspoon of a carrier oil like grape seed oil. Apply this mix to the scar in the morning and at night for about a month to help minimize its appearance.

I am not sure that you can get a quick solution from the natural remedies. There are products made specifically for scars that might work better such as "Mederma", "Scarfade", any type of product containing glycolic acid or alpha hydroxy acid, and laser removal treatments.

Hope this helps you.

I have had an 8" Hamhepatectomy scar since March, recently saw a coconut  remedy in chemists last week...cost £10.00 a pack....still debating whether to buy, as Photo shop does such a good job!!!

Take care.no

Posted 4 Aug 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join