Reply rates

34 posts
4 July 2011
Getting rather irritated by photographers who cannot be bothered to reply to messages. I am NOT talking about spamming people but replying to casting calls or making helpful suggestions when someone is looking for a location. Photographers keep moaning about models not replying. I usually spend some time on these messages giving the correct information providing links etc. it would be just polite to say no thanks or thank you for your mail.

A while back Matt was able to tell people what there reply rate was. This was just initial reply ,somebody has to end a conversation.

How about publishing peoples reply rates on their profiles and next to their avatars so one can see if there is much point in contacting someone and avoid
flakes and time wasters?
Posted 4 July 2011
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
catherinewilliams

Getting rather irritated by photographers who cannot be bothered to reply to messages. I am NOT talking about spamming people but replying to casting calls or making helpful suggestions when someone is looking for a location. Photographers keep moaning about models not replying. I usually spend some time on these messages giving the correct information providing links etc. it would be just polite to say no thanks or thank you for your mail.

A while back Matt was able to tell people what there reply rate was. This was just initial reply ,somebody has to end a conversation.

How about publishing peoples reply rates on their profiles and next to their avatars so one can see if there is much point in contacting someone and avoid
flakes and time wasters?

Thats all well and good but I have had numerous times when I have been sent 2-3 of the same messages!
I reply to them all as I heard about the reply rate but it is silly!
Posted 4 July 2011
I'm sure it could be tweaked so that you only had to answer the same person once in a day.

Also maybe it could not start counting for new models for a couple weeks when they get inudated with messages.

Posted 4 July 2011
I think its one of the perks if your a Gold or Platinum member,
you can see peoples reply rate as it appears on your port
Posted 4 July 2011
Edited by gin_and_tonic 4 July 2011
gin_and_tonic

I think its one of the perks if your a Gold or Platinum member,
you can see peoples reply rate as it appears on your port

oh didn't realise that ,should be avilable to all members.
Posted 4 July 2011
SerenDigital
Photographer
SerenDigital
catherinewilliams

flakes and time wasters?

Why should people be penalised because they get lots of unsuitable approaches from people?  For instance I have one guy who keeps emailing me every month or so, plus every time I place a casting call...  should I be penalised with my rating just because I've already told him I don't have anything suitable and *I* will contact *him* if anything comes up?
Posted 4 July 2011
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
SerenDigital

Why should people be penalised because they get lots of unsuitable approaches from people?  For instance I have one guy who keeps emailing me every month or so, plus every time I place a casting call...  should I be penalised with my rating just because I've already told him I don't have anything suitable and *I* will contact *him* if anything comes up?

+1. (except it's a girl in my case)
Posted 4 July 2011
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
My reply rate is 94%. The reply rate for catherinewilliams is only 80%, which is quite low in my opinion.
Posted 4 July 2011
I can't see why having checked through the last year there is nothing I have not replied to.

I can only assume it goes back to when Kruse was sending me up to 5 messages a day of drivel and abuse untill I blocked him.He did that to quite few people.As you probably know hes banned.

If people are sending repeated unwelcome requests prehaps you should warn them and if the don't stop either report or block them.

Posted 4 July 2011
Dekker
Photographer
Dekker
I reckon it is because ALL conversations must end at some point...so someone's reply rate is going to suffer. I can just see it now...

"Do you want TFCD work?"
"No thanks"
"Ok, no worries..."
"Thanks"
"You're welcome"
"You too."
"Stop it..."
"No you stop it..."
etc.

I reply to pretty much every mail I initially get...maybe replies to replies to be discounted from this. All we're interested in how often people actually bother replying in the first place.

Posted 4 July 2011
ChrisCobb
Photographer
ChrisCobb
catherinewilliams
How about publishing peoples reply rates on their profiles and next to their avatars so one can see if there is much point in contacting someone and avoid flakes and time wasters?
Mine is low, and will in all probability stay low. Does it make me a flake or a time waster? Does it make me unreliable? I don't think so. I've never cancelled a shoot, I've never no-showed. I turn up when agreed, finish when agreed, pay the agreed amount, no surprises or shocks. I post short notice casting calls - I've gotten nearly 40 or 50 replies sometimes - I'm not going to get time to reply to all before the shoot, and once the shoot has passed it seems a pointless exercise. I hate admin and am reluctant to do more just to appease people who want to see high reply rates. Every casting casting has resulted in someone being booked directly and several others shortlisted to be shot another time. People should stop looking for a reply to every application and realise that a no-reply is actually a reply of NO.
Posted 4 July 2011
LadylikeMedia
Photographer
LadylikeMedia
I echo what Chris says - I imagine my reply rate is shocking. Many castings get upwards of 50 replies, sometimes I have 2 - 3 a week depending what work I have on. I do not have time to reply to all the unsuitable messages, though I do try to respond to all suitable candidates. Unfortunately there can be a lot who have applied being out with age/look/travel range.

Posted 4 July 2011
PUNKuate
Photographer
PUNKuate
Mine is low too. Any photographer casting for paid work gets lots of responses from people they have no interest in, but if anyone messages me outside of casting calls or randomly cold calling for paid work, I reply to everyone.

Posted 4 July 2011
kpg
Photographer
kpg
Dekker

I reckon it is because ALL conversations must end at some point...so someone's reply rate is going to suffer.

I've had someone reply with a completely empty message before, and I assumed they were just trying to keep their reply rate high with it.
Posted 4 July 2011
lke
Photographer
lke
It's perverse and says more that those who think people with good reply rates are people who they should be working with. The industry standard way of telling some one they are not good enough is not to reply, as people are often too busy chasing the few who are good enough.

I don't know anyone who employs a secretary on the basis that they must get in touch with those who are not bookable, because they certainly don't do it themselves.

I don't know my reply rate, I hope it's low, and long may it continue to be so!

Posted 4 July 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join