Awwww, Im not kidding you!!!

Awwww, Im not kidding you!!!

38 posts
7 June 2011
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
Yet again, I come on to Purestorm castings to find another ad....asking for EXPERIENCED Mua,  Photographer desperate and getting all fired up because they have been badly let down by another MUA, Several shoots over several months...All wanted on a....yes...you guessed it....TF basis?????

I think Im going to scream!

In fact i'm thinking of leaving this site all together!!  If you are going to arrange a TF shoot then expect 50% of applicants to be flaky unexperienced make up artists (and before I get shot down...emphasis on the 50%...NOT ALL are like that!!) . What offends me is that some people think that its completely fine to put a casting out for a   'highly experienced' mua but then go on to say payment in images!! MONTHS of shoots??? No pay?? but want fully experienced mua??  IS IT ME??? or is this wanting your cake and eating it? They are taking the proverbial and Iv had enough of people making me feel like Mua's are just there to serve their purpose.

I'm at the point of dispair!!!! If you want a good service, for gods sake think about getting your hands in your pockets instead of offending all us hard working Muas with your constant take take take attitude!!!!!!!!

RANT OVER...now waiting for the backlash!! 

Posted 7 June 2011
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
It's the boundary between doing this professionally and as an amateur. I am not refering to behaving professionally or to producing images of quality but where there is a paying customer who wants the images. If it is a professional, paying 'shoot then the budget will include an appropriate amount for the team that is required for the 'shoot. Your work is done to a professional standard Gaynor and you do this as a profession. Unfortunately, as you say, some just want everything for nothing.

Posted 7 June 2011
Fisherface
Make Up Artist
Fisherface
It drives me insane!  The castings that annoy me the most are from new models who want an experienced MUA on TF and state that we will get "fabulous images" but they don't even know which photographer they're going to use yet!

Posted 7 June 2011
Edited by Fisherface 7 June 2011
iestyn
Photographer
iestyn
MUA`s are undervaled
Model`s are undervalued
Stylist`s are undervalued
Photographer`s are undervalued
blah blah blah we hear it everyday
This is an internet site where most members are amateur and cannot afford top class professionals but some will try their luck to see if they can get top class help for free, don`t stress it, just don`t reply to unappealing castings.
Why not stop being reactive to the castings of others and be more proactive and put up your own casting for paid work, your profile will get more views in a positive manor rather than just nosing to see who it is thats ranting today.

Posted 7 June 2011
PUNKuate
Photographer
PUNKuate
I think most of us don't really understand the difference between an awesome MUA and an OK MUA anyway, to be honest.

I know I wouldn't have a clue from looking at a portfolio. I've not developed the talent to spot the talent yet, which is why I wouldn't pay one.

Posted 7 June 2011
RobGolding
Photographer
RobGolding
PUNKuate

I think most of us don't really understand the difference between an awesome MUA and an OK MUA anyway, to be honest. I know I wouldn't have a clue from looking at a portfolio. I've not developed the talent to spot the talent yet, which is why I wouldn't pay one.

Most of us? Really?

Why is that then?
Posted 8 June 2011
wendyanne
Make Up Artist
wendyanne
I totally Understand where your comming from.I often feel the same way when i scan through the castings.

Posted 8 June 2011
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
A good MUA is worth their weight in gold. Best to ignore crazy castings.

Posted 8 June 2011
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
It is soul destroying Gaynor and drives me mad, but we just have to accept that it will always be like that on sites like this, try not to let it get to you I know it's hard as it seems more and more people are saying they want mua at last minute on tf basis cos they have been let down, as you rightly say if they are not paying they have to expect that from less professional people. Just keep smiling to yourself and doing the great work you do, you will get the paid work anyway even if not from here hun xx
Posted 8 June 2011
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Look at it positively ladies. If you can also lay on a professional photographer with "either studio access or outdoor kit and an industrial location at there disposal, heavy duty tools and building equipment and the ability to retouch images to a high standard" who is willing to provide TFP/CD to the model as well you might get some pretty decent naff images for your profile in return for your time and materials. Just check out the list for this Deal of the Millennium .
Bob

Posted 8 June 2011
gdsandy
Photographer
gdsandy
I am not sympathetic I'm afraid. It is okay to ask, it costs you nothing to decline to answer.

Experienced models work for trade, experienced photographers work for trade and occasionally experienced stylists do too, Why should make up artists be different? I shoot with some awesome MUAs, some making a lot of money on T.V. shows for trade. Why should you be so exasperated that you get or exalted that you mustn't be approached?

Posted 8 June 2011
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
PUNKuate

I think most of us don't really understand the difference between an awesome MUA and an OK MUA anyway, to be honest. I know I wouldn't have a clue from looking at a portfolio. I've not developed the talent to spot the talent yet, which is why I wouldn't pay one.

Not sure all photographers would appreciate that comment??? lol  I know LOTS of photographers who really know their stuff when it comes to understanding makeup!!
Posted 8 June 2011
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
gdsandy

I am not sympathetic I'm afraid. It is okay to ask, it costs you nothing to decline to answer. Experienced models work for trade, experienced photographers work for trade and occasionally experienced stylists do too, Why should make up artists be different? I shoot with some awesome MUAs, some making a lot of money on T.V. shows for trade. Why should you be so exasperated that you get or exalted that you mustn't be approached?

I too work on projects with photographers on TF basis?? But you are obviously not aware of the way MUAs are constantly being taken for granted on this site.  One model actually wanted an Mua to go and do her make up for a special night out with her boyfriend offering a glass of wine (cant drink as we are driving) and a kodak snapshot....still think thats fair??
Posted 8 June 2011
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
Bob

Look at it positively ladies. If you can also lay on a professional photographer with "either studio access or outdoor kit and an industrial location at there disposal, heavy duty tools and building equipment and the ability to retouch images to a high standard" who is willing to provide TFP/CD to the model as well you might get some pretty decent naff images for your profile in return for your time and materials. Just check out the list for this Deal of the Millennium .
Bob

and it wouldnt surprise me Bob!!
Posted 8 June 2011
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
Oh, and can I just add...I'm not after sympathy!!! I'm after a bit of respect!! I have done a massive amount of TF and think it can be a great thing, but not when the whole idea of it is abused!!
Posted 8 June 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join