Pruning

16 posts
11 May 2011
flobelob
Photographer
flobelob
Really like the new Purestorm design a fresh look. Maybe 'controversial' but might a bit of pruning help further. I'm talking about deleting, obviously, free members who have not logged on for more than a year. It is hardly likely that they are active, or indeed perhaps contactable anymore. Browsing about casually there are even some last logins going back to 2009!

Posted 11 May 2011
HeadSnipper
Photographer
HeadSnipper
+1, I know the head count is everything, but some of the accounts that have not been logged onto for 1 year plus are a total waste of space

Posted 11 May 2011
mph
Photographer
mph
It is a portfolio hosting site - they might not want to be contacted. As long as one can see when they last logged on they are not much of a problem.

Posted 11 May 2011
SarahTakahashi
Photographer
SarahTakahashi
This has been discussed to death... Purestorm won't delete them because a lot of people don't use PS to contact models/photographers/make-up artists or the forums, some just use it as a portfolio hosting website and they don't need them deleted.

If these people wanted profiles deleted they could login and delete them themselves.

Posted 11 May 2011
HeadSnipper
Photographer
HeadSnipper
Easy guys, 'this has been discussed to death' - well no it hasn't people join this site all the time and would like to express an opinion - where's the problem, discussions can go on forever there is no time limit.
Secondly - why would someone want to post a portfolio and yet be uncontactable as they never log on? No shouting, this is a question not a statement.

Posted 11 May 2011
SarahTakahashi
Photographer
SarahTakahashi
Nobody was shouting and yes, this really has been discussed to death.

Why not? If you had a free membership on here you could host 8 images and show the link to facebook friends, future clients and the likes and say 'here's a sample of my portfolio'.

Back in the day purestorm was just that, a portfolio hosting website where you couldn't email anyone, there were no forums and no feedback systems. So PS -is- and -was- originally designed to be a portfolio hosting website but has since modernized.

So you don't need to delete anyone. PS has had issues when they have deleted users and they have noticed, even though they hadn't logged in for over a year, asking what happened to their portfolio and why they had deleted so to stop this happening PS doesn't delete them.

Posted 11 May 2011
flobelob
Photographer
flobelob
I don't see that Purestorm has any obligation to maintain portfolios, of non paying people, there is no 'contract' that needs to be fulfilled, indeed it would seem a lot easier to delete paying members portfolios, if they stop paying. Neither do I see it does PS a lot of good to have moribund references hanging about. If PS has/is evolving then surely that must include the parameters of inclusion.

Posted 11 May 2011
jbwalton
Photographer
jbwalton
HeadSnipper
+1, I know the head count is everything, but some of the accounts that have not been logged onto for 1 year plus are a total waste of space
Agreed
Posted 11 May 2011
Bob
Photographer
Bob
flobelob

I don't see that Purestorm has any obligation to maintain portfolios, of non paying people, there is no 'contract' that needs to be fulfilled, indeed it would seem a lot easier to delete paying members portfolios, if they stop paying.

Presumably you didn't see the ruddy great strapline at the top of the home page either? The one that advertises they offer free portfolio hosting.
Bob
Posted 11 May 2011
flobelob
Photographer
flobelob
Thanks 'Bob" I can read, can't see how that alters anything, does the title bar say this means one has a portfolio in perpetuity. There are actually some entries that have not been logged on since October/November 2008, having stuff like this simply clutters things up and dilutes the relevance of the site.

Posted 12 May 2011
Stibnite
Photographer
Stibnite
flobelob

Thanks 'Bob" I can read, can't see how that alters anything, does the title bar say this means one has a portfolio in perpetuity. There are actually some entries that have not been logged on since October/November 2008, having stuff like this simply clutters things up and dilutes the relevance of the site.

How exactly does it clutter things up?

You can sort your searches by most recently logged in date, so it really doesn't matter
Posted 12 May 2011
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
It might be useful to have a filter so you can block members who have not logged in for 12 months when doing searches?

Posted 12 May 2011
flashman
Photographer
flashman
There is a difference between a portfolio of 6+ images and one obscure camera phone image. It is the latter that needs tidying up especially when it has not been used since 2008/9 and the profile has no details. Some of these people probably created the account after a drunken night out and do not even know they have an account. These are the ones that need removing. Maybe Matt (or mods) could include a new sentance into the T&C that you must log in at least once every 6/12 months to keep your account active like a lot of other sites do.

Posted 12 May 2011
Edited by flashman 12 May 2011
TeddyB
Photographer
TeddyB
HeadSnipper

Easy guys, 'this has been discussed to death' - well no it hasn't people join this site all the time and would like to express an opinion - where's the problem, discussions can go on forever there is no time limit.

Yes, it has been done to death, already.  Then dug up and done to death, yet again.  And again.  And again.

Try doing a forum search on the subject, and you'll see what I mean.  To death......and then some!  I doubt that there's anything more on the subject, that a brand new member could add, that hasn't already been said, a dozen time already.

The simple answer is - Don't try booking any model who's not logged in during the last 30 days.  If you see a profile that you like the look of, and she's logged in today, then your more likely to get a response from her, than the one's who joined 5 years ago and never logged on again, from day 1, from those 5 years ago. 

Ok, end of subject, next discussion, please.

Ted   cheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Posted 14 May 2011
Edited by TeddyB 14 May 2011
HeadSnipper
Photographer
HeadSnipper
Never seen the T&C that states anything already discussed, cannot be discussed again. Bummer for new members the forums must be pretty useless.

Posted 14 May 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join