Help please! Brushes.

Help please! Brushes.

11 posts
3 May 2011
portfoliochris
Photographer
portfoliochr..
I have a full set of Sigma brushes http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Complete_Kit_p/ck001.htm

- some are natural bristles, some synthetic, and some mixed - which I keep on my make-up station for all models to use.
After each use, I wash in bareMinerals shampoo.

Question:

From a hygiene point of view, should I do anything else???

Posted 3 May 2011
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
I use an anti bacterial hand wash to clean mine after each shoot and let them air dry, in between use on shoots I use brush off brush cleanser and surgical spirit for lip brushes (if not disposables) hope this helps
Posted 3 May 2011
ClaireShipman
Make Up Artist
ClaireShipma..
99% alcohol available from the chemist dries quickly (but is an irritant if not fully dry so be careful) but kills nearly everything in it's path
Posted 5 May 2011
jes
Model
jes
Wow!  Good for you... most photographers don't even supply a mirror!

Posted 5 May 2011
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
hmmm might try that Claire probably cheaper than brush off too and easy to get hold of is it in a spray? x

Posted 6 May 2011
portfoliochris
Photographer
portfoliochr..
jes

Wow!  Good for you... most photographers don't even supply a mirror!

hahaha - you should see how much make-up there is for you to play with!!!

And many thanks to those who have offered advice!

Posted 6 May 2011
Edited by portfoliochris 6 May 2011
ClaireShipman
Make Up Artist
ClaireShipma..
simplydivine

hmmm might try that Claire probably cheaper than brush off too and easy to get hold of is it in a spray? x

It is cheap, I buy it in masses then poor into a spray bottle. However it doesn't fully remove all the make up residue just mainly disinfects them so I usually use it on big shoots spraying between models and then when I get home give them a good shampoo and let them air dry overnight. Its the only cleaner that dries in an amazing ammount of time if your rushing, brush off can be quite greesy sometimes and irritates the hell out of me when im in a rush to get onto the next model although I do have a few sets of brushes, I have my faves and cant bring myself to use my old sets lol!
Posted 15 June 2011
jes
Model
jes
portfoliochris

hahaha - you should see how much make-up there is for you to play with!!!

And many thanks to those who have offered advice!

oooh!  I likes your studio!!
Posted 15 June 2011
portfoliochris
Photographer
portfoliochr..
Hey Jes - I am sure you would - come play anytime!!!

Posted 15 June 2011
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
ClaireShipman

It is cheap, I buy it in masses then poor into a spray bottle. However it doesn't fully remove all the make up residue just mainly disinfects them so I usually use it on big shoots spraying between models and then when I get home give them a good shampoo and let them air dry overnight. Its the only cleaner that dries in an amazing ammount of time if your rushing, brush off can be quite greesy sometimes and irritates the hell out of me when im in a rush to get onto the next model although I do have a few sets of brushes, I have my faves and cant bring myself to use my old sets lol!

Yes i know what you mean about drying time while on a big shoot waiting for brushes to dry it annoys me too, so i think the alcohol will be much easier! I also clean my brushes with anti bacterial wash once home and let them air dry, but as you say just need to disinfect between clients on a big shoot. I also have 2/3 sets but sometime just not enough lol.
Posted 18 June 2011
portfoliochris
Photographer
portfoliochr..
Next on my shopping list? What do you think? http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Dry_n_Shape_System_p/ds01.htm
Posted 18 June 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join