How long for each look?

How long for each look?

24 posts
19 April 2011
jameswardphotography
Photographer
jameswardpho..
Hi

I am after a bit of advice on how long it would take for an MUA to create a beauty look. In short i am planning my first beauty shoot and will have the studio booked for 3-4 hours and would like to get an idea of how many different looks on average could be created in that time?

Any other advice on beauty shoots would be appreciated

James
Posted 19 April 2011
PhilDrinkwater
Photographer
PhilDrinkwat..
Between 45 mins (simple makeup only) and 3 hours (complex makeup and complex hair). If someone says "15 mins" - I'd pass them by. Personally I've never seen anyone do a particularly good job *for beauty* in less than 30 mins.

Generally speaking, second and third looks will take less time, unless there's a significant amount of change between the looks.

Posted 19 April 2011
jameswardphotography
Photographer
jameswardpho..
Cheer Phil, I had in mind about an hour so i wasnt too far out. Obviously appreciate time will depend on what needs to be done. How many shots would you take per look?

Posted 19 April 2011
PhilDrinkwater
Photographer
PhilDrinkwat..
Personally? Just as many as it takes to get what I want - I'm quality based not shot number based That said, I *usually* take 30-100 per look. Enjoy it!
Posted 19 April 2011
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
I agree with Phil. Usually takes me about an hour and a half to do straight beauty makeup with simple hair styling and like he says...up to 3 hours for complex looks x

Posted 21 April 2011
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
ditto Second skin at least an hour qurter to hour and half for make up and hair even for a clean beauty look. Most people outside the industry don't understand what is involved in getting a really fabulous clean beauty make up and some simple hair styling. To change the look depending on what is required can be between 10/15 mins to half hour.
Posted 22 April 2011
junelong
Make Up Artist
junelong
@secondskin and simplydivine (and Phil too)- I am so glad you have said this! I read on another board that anything over 30mins for a clean look is too long! I was starting to feel totally inadequate, so this is reassuring-thank you.
Posted 22 April 2011
wendyanne
Make Up Artist
wendyanne
junelong
@secondskin and simplydivine (and Phil too)- I am so glad you have said this! I read on another board that anything over 30mins for a clean look is too long! I was starting to feel totally inadequate, so this is reassuring-thank you.
Hi june, I know what you mean.I totally agree with karen and secondskin.I was trained to do make-up in 1hr as this is apparently what is accepted in the industry as an acceptable commercial time.Some less complicated make-ups can be done in 45mins.I think perhaps sometimes people dont understand whats needed especially on photographic work as the skin and make-up needs to be as flawless as possible ( and some models require more preperation than others depending on thier skin i.e spots,uneven skin and blemishes etc) also make-up needs to be emphasised more and bolder for the camera and catwalk shows or you lose the features etc,and make-up can look washed out.it can make you feel pressured when not enough time is allowed for make-up as you want to do a professional job and the finished product would not be the same or as good if corners are cut.
Posted 24 April 2011
louisejane1
Make Up Artist
louisejane1
Brilliant guy’s great advice so far! If you want a good professional job then an hour to hour 1/2 I would take for both hair and makeup, for natural if needed, more if more complex. As for the changes in between if the makeup is perfect on the first shoot its surprising how quick the changes can be as the hair and everything is taken in to consideration to allow for the changes i.e. how its curled in the beginning to the finished result Make-up - the primers and bases applied perfectly to how many changes the makeup allows without all being dislodged also the lips and eyes I can change quickly if needed but it’s all in the planning Allow 15 mins plus in between for changes depending?
Posted 25 April 2011
steverobertson
Photographer
steveroberts..
15 minutes
Posted 25 April 2011
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
steverobertson

15 minutes

is that to do your own make-up steve lol blush
Posted 26 April 2011
lashestolockes
Make Up Artist
lashestolock..
Don't feel inadequate I have been in the business since 2005 and a perfectly acceptable time for beauty make up and hair tidy is 1-1/2 hours, Bridal 2 hours theses are the times that I have followed for years. Some make up artist will spend more time on a bride and charge more money than compared to say a bridesmaid.
My philosophy is that everyone deserves to look their best not just the bride so make up in half an hour is make up not applied to the best of their ability (if they hey are qualified and experienced)

Posted 19 Oct 2011
Finishingtouches
Make Up Artist
Finishingtou..
I agree with other people i spend at least 45 minutes on a typical beauty look and can range from anything from that amount of time upwards it also depends on the look you are wanting as a photographer
Posted 9 Nov 2011
otteypm
Photographer
otteypm
0.45 seconds! For some reason it only works when you talk in Spanish.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFydYZjs5T4&feature=related
Posted 9 Nov 2011
jes
Model
jes
45 mins is a reasonable amount of time.  You have to take into consideration what the models' skin is like of course as this can make a big difference.

Catwalk/runway make up can be (and sometimes has to be) done very quickly but if you're going to make the effort to create good images, its worth letting the MUA take the time they need, within reason, to achieve the right look. 

A second and third look, which is usually heavier can stil take a bit of time depending on how intricate it is.
Posted 9 Nov 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join