Getting skin ready for going to Zante...

Getting skin ready for going to Zante...

16 posts
5 April 2011
River
Model
River
Hi All,

I am going to Zante in June and was wondering if there is any way to protect my skin, whilst not staying pure white? Temperatures will reach 32 degrees C, and we will be spending a lot of time on the beach. Usually in the summer I wear spf 50 sunscreen, and don't tend to tan at all, and if I do, I go pink and then brown. Is there any way to prepare my skin for the Grecian climate whilst not coming away being the only one without a tan?
Posted 5 April 2011
I have no idea, but i went to the T-Zante hotel a few years ago. It was an amazing holiday, have fun!

Posted 5 April 2011
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
sun beds will tan you, but its not the same as getting a tan from the sun so you will still burn if you don't wear sunscreen

Posted 5 April 2011
leia
Model
leia
use an SPF (15 to 30), it protects your skin whilst still letting it tan
Posted 5 April 2011
chelea
Model
chelea
if you use tanning beds for a few weeks before it conditions your skin to the uv meaning you can use a lower sunscreen and come back with a lovely tan, i recommend 2 sessions a week x

Posted 21 April 2011
Dave@studio99
Photographer
Dave@studio99
I have very fair skin and was advised to use a strong sfp for the first few days factor 35 or above,then later use a lower sfp such as factor 16,it did seem to work for me,but don't forget to regularly re-apply the cream/lotion to maintain protection from the strong sunlight - hope this helps.

Posted 21 April 2011
i might be missing the point here but you cant tan safely even with suncream on, using spf 15 and getting a tan is just as dangerous as not using any, the ultraviolet ray that cause tanning damages chemicals in pre-cancerous cells (something we all have) and cause mutation which can lead to cancer
ratsx

Posted 21 April 2011
the best solution I've found going abroad is to apply suncream every day a couple of times a day for a month - 2 weeks before you go - it really helps avoid the going pink before the brown bit
Posted 21 April 2011
Kim_C
Model
Kim_C
I've been told that if you apply fake tan before you go, it gives the sun something to build up on. Still use suncream but if you already have a tan it's easier to tan even if it's fake. I don't know if this is 100% accurate but i'm trying it to go to spain.

Posted 22 April 2011
BaileyK
Model
BaileyK
Don't do the sun bed stuff please please please

Posted 22 April 2011
BaileyK

Don't do the sun bed stuff please please please

+1000
Posted 22 April 2011
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
I don't know what the weather has been like in Norfolk, but I assume you must have had some warm and sunny days like in London. In fact, it has been scorching for April. I suggest you prepare yourself for Zante by getting out in the sun as much as possible in England. (In a sensible way, like by using SPF15, gradually increasing your sun exposure and not overdoing it.) SPF50 must be like a total sun block. If you put that on, there is no way you will do anything but stay white. The sun will be quite ferocious in Zante, so even if you do tan a little in England, you will need SPF 15 over there. NOT LAGANAS?!?!?!
Posted 22 April 2011
K_Studios
Studio
K_Studios
chelea

if you use tanning beds for a few weeks before it conditions your skin to the uv meaning you can use a lower sunscreen and come back with a lovely tan, i recommend 2 sessions a week x

Worst bit of advice I have seen for ages.

I would encourage everyone to read the British Medical Associations web page regarding their use

Clicky

Posted 22 April 2011
spikey19872007
Photographer
spikey19872007
River

Hi All,

I am going to Zante in June and was wondering if there is any way to protect my skin, whilst not staying pure white? Temperatures will reach 32 degrees C, and we will be spending a lot of time on the beach. Usually in the summer I wear spf 50 sunscreen, and don't tend to tan at all, and if I do, I go pink and then brown. Is there any way to prepare my skin for the Grecian climate whilst not coming away being the only one without a tan?

What I used to do considering my shoulders just burnt, no matter what SPF I put on, pace yourself, some time in for say ah hour in the sun spf 40 then 30 mins in the shade, when walking about cover up in something white that is sorta translucent (I used to have white shirts that did the job).

Worked for me and the gaps in the shade just gave my skin time to cool down considerably and prop up the bar.

Also, what has been mentioned about making the use of the sun here is also a start, years riding bikes arms and legs exposed and they never burn!
Posted 3 May 2011
River
Hi All, I am going to Zante in June and was wondering if there is any way to protect my skin, whilst not staying pure white? Temperatures will reach 32 degrees C, and we will be spending a lot of time on the beach. Usually in the summer I wear spf 50 sunscreen, and don't tend to tan at all, and if I do, I go pink and then brown. Is there any way to prepare my skin for the Grecian climate whilst not coming away being the only one without a tan?
First couple of days of your holiday I wouldn't use anything less then SPF 30 then I would try the lowering the SPF to either a SPF 20 or a SPF 15 I wouldn't use anything lower then a SPF 15 at least on my face Why don't you try Delectable Self Tanning Mousse SPF15
Posted 3 May 2011
Edited by whosthatgirl 3 May 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join