So...how many calories an hour does modelling burn?

So...how many calories an hour does modelling burn?

23 posts
22 Feb 2011
Just did a trapeze and karate shoot - making up for it with cookies. Reckon that was 400 or 500 an hour as I was fairly out of breath and doing lots of jumping running climbing stuff. How many do YOU burn?
Posted 22 Feb 2011
Buddygb
Photographer
Buddygb
What's a calorie?

Posted 22 Feb 2011
BobH
Photographer
BobH
What's a trapeze shoot?

Posted 22 Feb 2011
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
At least that. Probably 2000 kJ on a long shoot.
A lot of "Nervous energy", and moving the tripods, changing the lenses (mostly trying to find where I last put them), and leaping about all over the place trying to get the right angle.
Posted 22 Feb 2011
dpbphotography
Photographer
dpbphotograp..
with the amount of sweets people bring I think i probably put weight on
Posted 22 Feb 2011
Tathiel
Model
Tathiel
Probably quite a lot. Especially those that require you hold awkward poses for a long time as you will be working the muscles to hold those poses. I have on occasions ached a hell of a lot more after an art nude shoot the day after than I have after a good session on the weights in the gym!

Posted 22 Feb 2011
Loads Then again modelling makes me hungry! I always tend to pig out when I get home, especially when I've been out in the cold for hours and am craving something hearty and hot to warm me back up
Posted 22 Feb 2011
Tathiel
Model
Tathiel
I'm like that when I get cold. I wanna eat loads if I am cold on a modelling shoot. Probably because I think your body uses more energy that normal shivering and trying to keep you warm. I always tell myself when freezing and shivering to think of the calories I'm burning hehe!

Posted 22 Feb 2011
RussFreeman
Photographer
RussFreeman
Okay, if you run then you burn around 100 calories per mile. Sitting down doing nothing you burn around 70 calories an hour.

Most people "jog" at anything above 9 minutes per mile, so rounded up that's 6 miles per hour or 600 calories - minus the 70 you would have burnt anyway then that's 530 calories.

Do you feel like you ran maybe 6 miles? I doubt it. Most people are comletely fooked after just one mile. I'd *guess* you probably burnt 100-200 more calories than you would have sitting on the sofa watching corrie and that's being optimistic.

To put that in context; If you drank a 500ml can of coke, or went large with your big mac, then you burnt nothing during your 1 hour and may actually have had a net gain!

Tara is right. You burn more when cold. Drinking cold water can use several calories just to warm it up to body temperature.

Posted 22 Feb 2011
squodge
Photographer
squodge
I believe swimming uses up 700kcals an hour (why do people refer to cals when it's actually kcals?), but that's non-stop moderate intensity swimming.

I can run (or 'jog') at a moderate pace for about 40 mins before having to stop, so according to Russ's calculations I'm probably using up around 350kcals. Much better than sitting on my arse and losing just 70kcals!

Posted 23 Feb 2011
JohnPicton
Photographer
JohnPicton
[qt][author]RussFreeman[/author]
I'd *guess* you probably burnt 100-200 more calories than you would have sitting on the sofa watching corrie and that's being optimistic. To put that in context; If you drank a 500ml can of coke, or went large with your big mac, then you burnt nothing during your 1 hour and may actually have had a net gain![/qt]

I think that Russ has pretty much nailed it here. If your arms or limbs ache after a shoot then that isn't a sign of burning calories, it's a sign of fatigue. It's quite shocking how much exercise you have to do to burn off the biscuit you had with your cup of tea. I found a really good site not long ago which showed you the calories burnt per hour of specific exercise activity, and it made sobering reading! I'll see if I can find it.

Posted 23 Feb 2011
Mike_Dainty_ARTIST
Photographer
Mike_Dainty_..
Buddygb

What's a calorie?

A measurement of energy, to be precise (if I remember correctly) one calorie is expended to heat one litre of water one degree centigrade. So the answer to the above question would totally depend on how many cups of tea you drunk during your modelling session.

Mike.
Posted 23 Feb 2011
Ely
Model
Ely
I just ate 5 rolos at 127 kcals... OOOPS
Posted 23 Feb 2011
flashman
Photographer
flashman
And if the model is a flake does she put weight on
Posted 23 Feb 2011
seanb
Photographer
seanb
I guess it depends on whether you're doing this:

Or this:

I reckon photography burns quite a few though - I'm always knackered after a shoot, so it must be good exercise! Especially the outdoor shoots when I've lugged a load of kit miles around the countryside.

Posted 25 Feb 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join