Why are male chaperones not allowed?

Why are male chaperones not allowed?

It seems this conversation has now been locked
9 posts
23 Oct 2010
Ive been to a couple of studios where the professional photographers were completely unfazed about me bringing a male chaperone and in fact welcomed the idea if it made me feel safer and therefore more comfortable. So why is it that the majority of amateur photographers who have contacted me about a shoot specifically will NOT allow male chaperones or in some cases a chaperone at all? My male friends are completely supportive of me, dont make any noise, dont get in the way and definitely dont  have any effect on my modelling. Am I just unlucky or is this the norm? HELP!!!     Chantel xxx

#ff0000;">Moderator Comment : This linked section may provide the answers:-

#ff0000;">~§~ Chaperones / Macaroons ~§~

Posted 23 Oct 2010
Edited by ForumModerator 23 Oct 2010
DJ200
Photographer
DJ200
emoticon

Oh dear..
Posted 23 Oct 2010
They don't know your friends in the exact same way you don't know the photographers - furthermore, your male friends aren't necessary to the shoot. I wouldn't trust a random guy in my house for no reason at all.

I think insisting on chaperones is a horrible way to start a working relationship. It essentially says 'I don't trust you enough to be alone with you'.

There are a lot of threads on this - just use the search feature.
Posted 23 Oct 2010
Edited by Vasilisa 23 Oct 2010
Search the forum for "chaperones". This has been discussed lots of times. Here we go....
Posted 23 Oct 2010
Callear
Photographer
Callear
I don't get why chaperones are a problem whether they be male or female. If everything is above board and professional and the limits have been clearly set out what's the problem with letting the model bring someone providing they don't interfere in the shoot.

I've worked with hundreds of models over the past 8 years. Some of the stories I've heard have been horrific. So I can understand why some models would want someone with them.

We make material that instantly puts some less experienced models on their guard thinking there must be some other agenda involved. So some ask to bring someone with them, which is fine. 

From our point of view we'd rather have someone bring someone and then realize they don't need them than not bring someone and be nervy or no show.

Posted 23 Oct 2010
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
Hoorah! A thread that isn't about government benefit cuts or politics!

Oh, wait...  

Posted 23 Oct 2010
modelboutique
Photographer
modelboutique
i'll make myself comfy for this one!

Posted 23 Oct 2010
Pixelcriminal
Photographer
Pixelcriminal
From my point of view, being quite a shy photographer I find having some random bloke watching everything I do exceedingly offputting... If it is just me and the model I tend to find it easier to direct the model and get the shots I want...

Its even worse when the chaperone is the models mother...

Posted 23 Oct 2010
Scottmorgan
Photographer
Scottmorgan
Chaperons are a pain in the ass sometimes (not always) and most times get board after a few hours of doing nothing and I hate it when a model says 'but he can hold a refectory if you like'

If you cant handle the heat get out of the kitchen I say, you have to be tough for the modeling world as you will come up against some shit bags.

[ #c00000;">Locked by Moderator and links provided to the many other threads on the same topic. ]
Posted 23 Oct 2010
Edited by ForumModerator 23 Oct 2010
It seems this conversation has now been locked