Search profiles by region

Search profiles by region

25 posts
10 Sep 2010
desyek
Photographer
desyek
Hi all,

I'm finding the search facility to be a bit of a nightmare when trying to find a model to work with.

The reason being:

Mid Glamorgan = Bridgend, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Merthyr & Caerphilly

South Glamorgan = Cardiff, Vale of Glamorgan

West Glamorgan = Swansea, Neath Port Talbot

Now, a member can have Bridgend in their profile but not be found searching for 'Mid Glamorgan', Cardiff and not be found in South Glamorgan.

As all of the above counties are technically South Wales (not forgetting Carmarthenshire, Monmouthshire - and their constituent counties!!), it may be worth creating a 'region' search that differentiates between North and South Wales - but uses the above county names on the profile.

All the counties of South Wales are very easily accessible by the M4 and A roads from it - as well as having good public transport links.

This would make it easier for Welsh photographers and models - or those travelling to the area -bto work with each other.

I'm also sure that the same applies for the counties in England - with Bristol being a county in it's own right, but still being classed as in the county of Avon. Parts of Bristol are also classed as being in 'South Gloucestershire' and Bath is in Avon as well as being part of it's own county of Bath & North East Somerset. These counties are all within 20 miles of each other!
Posted 10 Sep 2010
desyek
Photographer
desyek
As it's been over 12 months and no acknowledgement:

BUMP!

Posted 18 Nov 2011
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
This issue has been raised before. It is hard to see why we can't have a method whereby a member types in a location and can search from there, at any radius out. MM and eBay manage it.

Posted 18 Nov 2011
desyek
Photographer
desyek
anthonyh

This issue has been raised before. It is hard to see why we can't have a method whereby a member types in a location and can search from there, at any radius out. MM and eBay manage it.

Indeed. And the casting call system is designed around a 'regions' system as well.

Posted 18 Nov 2011
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Agree, 'region' needs to be much more precise as its so useful. The present system is, to be blunt just far too vague, in Newcastle we consider ourselves 'north east' its a hell of a walk to Sheffield which is also considered 'north east'!
"Regions" such as Tyne and Wear, Durham, a la MM would make a lot more sense as would radius search ability.

Posted 18 Nov 2011
Matt has plans afoot to increase the various search criteria but this will probably require all members
to provide the first portion of their postcode - something which currently many fail to do or do incorrectly.

Posted 18 Nov 2011
desyek
Photographer
desyek
Maybe so, but what's the problem in creating a "South, Mid and North Wales" section?

Posted 18 Nov 2011
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
It was a lot easier when it was counties. I live between Southampton & Bournemouth but get casting calls from Kent & Plymouth ( frikkin miles away !) If it aint broke 'n' all that!

Posted 18 Nov 2011
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
A postcode based search would be fantastic...

Posted 18 Nov 2011
mph
Photographer
mph
ForumModerator

Matt has plans afoot to increase the various search criteria but this will probably require all members
to provide the first portion of their postcode - something which currently many fail to do or do incorrectly.

To which, one is tempted to say "tough!"
Posted 18 Nov 2011
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
South, mid and north Wales would be nice!

Posted 18 Nov 2011
desyek
Photographer
desyek
corbystock

It was a lot easier when it was counties. I live between Southampton & Bournemouth but get casting calls from Kent & Plymouth ( frikkin miles away !) If it aint broke 'n' all that!

Please see original post about counties.

Where I am currently located, I can travel to Neath Port Talbot county within 2 miles, I'm in RCT or the Vale of Glamorgan within 15 miles, Cardiff, Merthyr, Swansea and Caerphilly Counties within 30 miles and within 50 miles I'm only missing out on Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Monmouthshire in the South.
Posted 19 Nov 2011
kpg
Photographer
kpg
anthonyh

The problem I have with radius searches is the Thames - I can merrily search within a reasonable 30 minute drive and end up with many well over an hour once I've gone through Dartford.  Now if I could exclude everyone from Kent at the same time... (No offence meant to people from Kent, you're lovely people really, you just didn't build your half of the bridge so now we call our half "Southend Pier".)
Posted 19 Nov 2011
wq0pco
Photographer
wq0pco
anthonyh
Is the correct answer.......
Posted 20 Nov 2011
wq0pco
Photographer
wq0pco
desyek
Maybe so, but what's the problem in creating a "South, Mid and North Wales" section?
And what's so bloody hard in keeping Yorkshire towns/cities out of the NORTH EAST!! Barnsley, Doncaster, Bradford in the NE?? Ridiculous!! Jesus, just spotted one CC for Lincoln classed as the NE..... FARCICAL!
Posted 20 Nov 2011
Edited by wq0pco 20 Nov 2011
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join