The Coil - Men, look away now!

The Coil - Men, look away now!

77 posts
1 Sep 2010
I've tried Googling how the coil works but I'm not getting the information I need!

Basically I'm finding oodles of info about how they fit it and the side effects etc, but I want to know HOW it works. What does it do stop you getting pregnant?

I've seen different types, but which is the one where you can fit it then take it out and get pregnant without waiting for hormones to wear off?

Thanks in advance,

xx

Posted 1 Sep 2010
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS

They sit in your womb and prevent you from getting pregnant. They do this in three main ways:

• they prevent your partner’s sperm from getting through your womb and into your tubes
  • they alter the secretions (mucus) in your cervix, creating a further barrier for sperm
  • they affect your womb lining – making it less likely to ‘accept’ an egg.
Posted 1 Sep 2010
TonyS

They sit in your womb and prevent you from getting pregnant. They do this in three main ways:

• they prevent your partner’s sperm from getting through your womb and into your tubes
  • they alter the secretions (mucus) in your cervix, creating a further barrier for sperm

But is it possible for an egg to be fertilised only to be 'flushed' out? That's what I'm concerned about.
Posted 1 Sep 2010
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
jess_andrews

Basically I'm finding oodles of info about how they fit it and the side effects etc, but I want to know HOW it works. What does it do stop you getting pregnant?

The presence of an object in your womb tricks your body into thinking you're already pregnant. 
Posted 1 Sep 2010
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Posted 1 Sep 2010
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS
I¬m no expert, but I guess that is possible yeah.

Bear in mind, its not a baby at that point, just a lump of cells rapidly dividing.

Posted 1 Sep 2010
Nick_Giles
Photographer
Nick_Giles
TonyS

Or put another way :-

Nick
Posted 1 Sep 2010
TonyS

I¬m no expert, but I guess that is possible yeah. Bear in mind, its not a baby at that point, just a lump of cells rapidly dividing.

That's a good point- thanks guys!
Posted 1 Sep 2010
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Posted 1 Sep 2010
RobS_1
Photographer
RobS_1
Nick_Giles

Or put another way :-

Nick

Succinct as ever lol (I did...honest)
Posted 1 Sep 2010
Edited by ForumModerator 1 Sep 2010
River
Model
River
Easiest thing to do is to go to your GP or local family planning clinic, they will be able to give you all the information you need, and help you decide which form of contraception is best suited to you. Speaking as a girl with 4 younger brothers and sisters, my mum has been my best source of contraception advice lol. She has every method, including the coil, which she didnt like, for a variety of reasons. She's now using the implant, has been for the last 3 years with no problems. She's got to have it taken out at the end of the month tho, which she's dreading
Posted 1 Sep 2010
silverk
Photographer
silverk
TonyS

I¬m no expert, but I guess that is possible yeah. Bear in mind, its not a baby at that point, just a lump of cells rapidly dividing.

So at what point does life become life?  Surely the fact that it has the capacity to divide means its alive already?  I'm not trying to distract from the OP!emoticon
Posted 1 Sep 2010
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS
silverk

So at what point does life become life?  Surely the fact that it has the capacity to divide means its alive already?  I'm not trying to distract from the OP!emoticon

lol, I knew someone would bite!

Posted 1 Sep 2010
silverk

Fine by me!

This could turn into a religious and moral debate...
Posted 1 Sep 2010
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS
I didnt deny it was alive, but it aint a baby; not by a long stretch.

Posted 1 Sep 2010
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join