Is bread fattening?

Is bread fattening?

29 posts
23 Aug 2010
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I'm a big lover of bread and I eat a lot of it and I was wondering if it's bad for you and if it makes you fat?

I ask because I lived in the US for a few years and I could never find a bread I liked, so I cut it out of my diet and I lost weight.  Since I've returned from the US I've been eating bread again, which I love, but I'm starting to put on a bit of weight.
Posted 23 Aug 2010
Nick_Giles
Photographer
Nick_Giles

According to my chum Laura Warburton. ( a bakers daughter. ) Yes it is.

Nick

Posted 23 Aug 2010
i have been told it is

Posted 23 Aug 2010
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Ok, then I'll go easy on the bread and I'll get back to my thinner self again.

Thanks

Posted 23 Aug 2010
FelicityFatale
Photographer
FelicityFatale
No. You are not made fat by individual foods. You are made fat by consuming too many calories and not doing enough exercise. You need to look and everything you're eating. Bread is unlikely to be the culprit unless you're seriously over indulging.

Bread and other starchy foods are very good for you and indeed should be included as part of a healthy and balanced diet.

Posted 23 Aug 2010
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Well I probably eat about 4 to 6 slices of white bread a day. Is that overdoing it with bread? I ended up losing about a stone over 2 years when I lived in the US. Generally I don't over indulge unless it's biscuits, but I only eat those on shoots now (only if I'm really forced to by the model - hint Homewheat Digestives are my favs or Maryland cookies). I now buy apples and oranges to eat while watching the TV and only have one a day.
Posted 23 Aug 2010
Cody
Model
Cody
Maybe it's the butter/mayo you're putting on the bread that isn't helping?
That's quite a lot of bread per day and white bread doesn't have much nutritional value...go for brown and you will feel fuller
Posted 23 Aug 2010
Edited by Cody 23 Aug 2010
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I have Flora (but not the light version) on my bread.

Posted 23 Aug 2010
Cody
Model
Cody
Excess calories- not foods in particular (as Felicity says) puts on weight
6 slices of bread with flora is roughly half your calorie intake for a day if you're relatively inactive
Posted 23 Aug 2010
Edited by Cody 23 Aug 2010
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Cody

6 slices of bread with flora is roughly half your calorie intake for a day if you're relatively inactive

Ok, I'll cut down to 2 slices a day and see how it goes

I do zero exercise.  Not good, but I'm lazy.

Posted 23 Aug 2010
paulford
Photographer
paulford
If you put chips cooked in beef dripping with it yes.

Posted 23 Aug 2010
FelicityFatale
Photographer
FelicityFatale
HowardJ
Well I probably eat about 4 to 6 slices of white bread a day. Is that overdoing it with bread? I ended up losing about a stone over 2 years when I lived in the US. Generally I don't over indulge unless it's biscuits, but I only eat those on shoots now (only if I'm really forced to by the model - hint Homewheat Digestives are my favs or Maryland cookies). I now buy apples and oranges to eat while watching the TV and only have one a day.
It's all relative. I eat about half a loaf a day and weigh 50kgs. However my hobby is powerlifting.
Posted 23 Aug 2010
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I don't do exercise other than a fair bit of walking around during the day.

The last time I was weighed as part of a health check I was fine for my build and height. I'm 6'2" and 13 stone (and no I don't know what that is in kgs) with a 34" waist.

Posted 23 Aug 2010
kater
Model
kater
all carbs are fattening! And they're hi-gi so they dont keep you full as long.
When i tried eating mackrel and salad for lunch instead of sandiwches I lost wieght- because I didn't need the chocolate bar 2 hours after eating!

Posted 23 Aug 2010
Tathiel
Model
Tathiel
I try to stay away from white bread as aside its higher calorie value and less nutritional value than wholemeal alternatives it really really bloats me out as it aggravates my stomach. I try to eat seeded or granary wholemeal bread or when i have time to make it I eat soya bread.

Posted 23 Aug 2010
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join