your best :)

65 posts
14 Jan 2010
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
Ok i'm on the fence when it comes to mua's i know that there are good ones and there seems to be a lot of backlash against models doing this themselves or unqualifieds doing it

as a showcase of some variety and out of personal curiosity i'd like to see your best single image/makeup (as not to have too many images on thread) but....preferably not in the face painting/elaborate drawing on face style? more in the style of something someone would be proud to be seen wearing out?

also possibly to your benefit a brief rundown of what's gone into it that might set you apart from the norm...i.e techique/particularly complicated bit that we as non mua's don't understand emoticon

please don't take this thread in a bad way as i've tried to be as "purestorm correct" about it as possible and i'm not after stirring anything up emoticon
Posted 14 Jan 2010
kt101
Photographer
kt101

This sort of thing?
Posted 14 Jan 2010
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
yeah that'd be the sort of image
Posted 14 Jan 2010
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
I may be wrong here but you seem to be asking us to EXPLAIN ourselves as to why an MUA is any better than an unqualified (as you put it) or model doing their own makeup??? (Can i just add, i have absolutely NO issues with models doing their own makeup...to have a problem with that would be ridiculous!!)

No disrespect but what is the ACTUAL point of your thread?   Do you just want a collection of images to point out the good and bad? emoticon
Posted 14 Jan 2010
Edited by Secondskin 14 Jan 2010
kt101
Photographer
kt101
This is the reason I don't mind models doing their own makeup.

Simply stunning.

Posted 14 Jan 2010
imageaware
Photographer
imageaware
kt101

This is the reason I don't mind models doing their own makeup.

Simply stunning.

Really? 

G.

Posted 14 Jan 2010
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
A little overdone with the foundation/blusher for what APPEARS to be a natural based shoot? and also the lipstick is bleeding slightly, but thats just my opinion. Eyes look nice though

Posted 14 Jan 2010
Edited by Secondskin 14 Jan 2010
kt101
Photographer
kt101
imageaware

Really? 

G.

I gather you do not agree that she is stuning then?

I personally thought she did pretty well considering it was done on site.

Posted 14 Jan 2010
Edited by kt101 14 Jan 2010
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
i suppose part of the point of the thread is for the mua's to show off and prove themselves as there are numerous threads about people going elsewhere and generally "why aren't people using/paying for mua's" really i'm not even wanting to show the good and the bad, i'm asking people to show their best, i thought i'd outlined the purpose of this in my initial post you're correct i'm asking you to explain yourselves because i don't know anything about make up stuff and a lot of other probably don't also. part of selling yourself surely is to educate people on the benefits of using you as has happened in another thread i'm not sure why you're writing some things in capitals, i along with most others are capable of reading lowercase hope that answers your questions second skin
Posted 14 Jan 2010
imageaware
Photographer
imageaware
kt101

I gather you do not agree that she is stuning then?

I personally thought she did pretty well considering it was done on site.

Actually she is lovely,  but the theme of this thread deals with the issue of models doing their own make-up,  instead of a MUA.

In that respect, the make-up is not as good as a MUA would have achieved. The tones are inconsistent and look 'muddy' in places...or maybe it's my monitor!

Either way, a well  trained MUA is a God-send on a shoot.

G.

Posted 14 Jan 2010
otteypm
Photographer
otteypm
This is why I like to use makeup artists. I did a shoot before Christmas, I wanted something that had more deliberate styling than anything I had shot before. So I got an image in my head of what I wanted, I tried to describe it and it was gibberish. I sent an email over to Gaynor with my gibberish on, something along the lines of 'goth but not goth fashion stylee sort of thing' I did specify I wanted a top hat and makeup that was running down the face but not like tears.

Gaynor managed to transform that into my favourite photograph of the year, Samantha provided the clothes, Gaynor the accesories and makeup, I stood in the corner and pressed a button emoticon

I can't afford to do it all the time, but whereever possible I will pay an MUA. It's also because I enjoy that collaboration, all three of us involved worked to get the shot, Gaynor and Sam threw in ideas I had never thought of. Simple things such as pair of gloves, I hadn't thought of it, but I don't think I would have liked the image as much if Gaynor hadn't suggested them.

Posted 14 Jan 2010
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
see i'd agree that mua's are definately worth it, but i'd like mua's to join in on this thread and post some images that prove it, so far there hasn't been any positive response from any which surprises me.

great image btw

Posted 14 Jan 2010
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
Well you haven't given many MUA's chance to respond yet I have only just seen this thread. Firtly I don't know how to get my images up on the forum threads so if someone explains I will pop up a couple of "my fave" make up shots but I'm not saying I think I am the best, but I am passionate about what I do and always strive to my absolute best and give the client be it the photographer or the model what they want, but also offering my professional opinion to achieve the results. I am so happy to read responses from photographers saying that we are "worth paying for" as I believe the results we can achieve are far better than the average model/ woman doing her own make up. For example the the earlier image presented as a reason for models to do their own make up I am afraid I have to diagree on. The model is gorgeous clearly, but the thread was started about make up skills, therefore I agree with Gaynor, the base is patchy and blush/ contouring not blended well, the mascara is very clogged ( just my pet hate) and the lip line bleeding, and yes she may have done it on location, and she did an ok job. But the reason people hire us, is for an amazing job not an ok job. I myself and I know many other Pro MUA's work on location. Places like fields , castles, ruins, car parks, snowy pathways LOL either working out of my boot or just out of my boxes. We should be capable of producing great results whatever the situation. Just my opinion though
Posted 15 Jan 2010
kt101
Photographer
kt101
Ok. Perhaps I got things going in the wrong direction.
I would love to be able to employ a MUA for every shoot I do but unfortunately funds don't always allow.
The shot of Emma was my second shoot I had ever done so MUA was out of the window. In fact I didn't even know about them back then.
I will agree that having a MUA WILL enhance a shoot but some models can pull it off to a satisfactory level so us amateurs can get some good shots.
Ultimately every shoot boils down to costs but with this thread acting as an advertisement for MUAs perhaps you will sway us all with your amazing capabilities.

Heck, if I could afford a MUA at every shoot I do, I would be using them all the time.

Posted 15 Jan 2010
ClaireShipman
Make Up Artist
ClaireShipma..
Im sure Lisa wont mind me posting this (sorry), this is Lisa naturally I presume having done her own make up;

This is Lis
a hair and make by me on location on a freezing day last year:

The Finished result:

another, this is Cassandra with her own make up:

and make up and hair by me, finished result:

Now I cant find a normal shot of Jane Weiss at the moment but everyone that knows her knows,  she doesn't tend to wear make up:

The point I would like to make is that it takes a team to get a good shot everyone is equally as important in creating an image.

as for telling you my techniques, well I'd have to kill you if I did
emoticon

Posted 15 Jan 2010
Edited by ClaireShipman 15 Jan 2010
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join