CONFUSED NOW

It seems this conversation has now been locked
9 posts
2 Jan 2010
Hya. Kylie has kindly posted a thread on this site giving advice to new models.  She has advised new models to take someone with them on shoots.  This advice from an experienced model must have some bearing on  when she started off.  Unfortunately i am getting no shoots as i am accompanied my a male friend who is not my chaperone, bodyguard ,or boyfriend. He drives me, carries my bags, helps me with my make up hair and outfits.He is also available to make tea, help with backgounds etc. He is a sweet guy and my best friend. He will sit in another room and not interfere. Do not want him wandering the streets for hours or sittin in the car.  Some togs have been so rude with their mails when i mention i will be accompianed by him and do not want to photograph me.. Can i have other views#ff0000;">* on why many togs cannot work  with another man in the same building, even in another room and not in earshot.  XX

#ff0000;">* Comment: Look here for opinions :- ~§~ Chaperones / Macaroons ~§~
Posted 2 Jan 2010
Edited by Love 2 Jan 2010
ciaran
Photographer
ciaran
Everyone has their own way of working.. some photographers welcome chaperones, some don't. What works for one person, won't necessarily work for another.

For me, nothing says "I don't trust you" like a chaperone. If a model needs a chaperone in order to feel safe shooting with a photographer, then my view is she shouldn't be shooting with him in the first place! Chaperones/friends are often a distraction on a shoot, which is another reason I don't work with models that insist on having one.

I look for professional models and in any other professional services business, no one needs to bring their friend/chaperon to work!

Posted 2 Jan 2010
ph_oto
Photographer
ph_oto
ciaran

Everyone has their own way of working.. some photographers welcome chaperones, some don't. What works for one person, won't necessarily work for another.For me, nothing says "I don't trust you" like a chaperone. If a model needs a chaperone in order to feel safe shooting with a photographer, then my view is she shouldn't be shooting with him in the first place! Chaperones/friends are often a distraction on a shoot, which is another reason I don't work with models that insist on having one.I look for professional models and in any other professional services business, no one needs to bring their friend/chaperon to work!

+1...      Also as my studio is within my home I have to reserve the right as to who is invited into it, lets face it I am already often inviting One stranger and don't think it  wise that they should then be able to invite another stranger into MY home.

I also learned the Hard & Costly way which has been chronicled on here before.

Posted 2 Jan 2010
i would take some 1 with you hun as its not safe and if your getting no shoots post an add or search other models and ask to work with them x

Posted 2 Jan 2010
Why would a moderator give this advice. Kylie has clearly got a good insite into the modelling industry. It is not a topic on chaperones, so would not want to hear the usual comments please. It is about an assistant helping me and he is a man. most togs say dont mind it being a woman as she can assist you. my friend is an experienced make up artist and hairdresser. Have no girl friends who can do this. Surely he would be of benefit to the tog to get the best possible results to enhance my portfolio.xxx

Posted 2 Jan 2010
kruse
Photographer
kruse
babyblue

Hya. Kylie has kindly posted a thread on this site giving advice to new models.  She has advised new models to take someone with them on shoots.  This advice from an experienced model must have some bearing on  when she started off.  Unfortunately i am getting no shoots as i am accompanied my a male friend who is not my chaperone, bodyguard ,or boyfriend. He drives me, carries my bags, helps me with my make up hair and outfits.He is also available to make tea, help with backgounds etc. He is a sweet guy and my best friend. He will sit in another room and not interfere. Do not want him wandering the streets for hours or sittin in the car.  Some togs have been so rude with their mails when i mention i will be accompianed by him and do not want to photograph me.. Can i have other views on why many togs cannot work  with another man in the same building, even in another room and not in earshot.  XX

First thing to do is not get hung up on titles.  You may not think of your friend as a chaperone but those for whom another person attending is an issue won't care about the distinction.

I act as a driver, on occasion, for a model and all I expect to do is drop her off and pick her up.  Most photographers won't have a problem with this.

Ciaran has put forward one 'objection' to chaperones.  Another you may well hear is that some photographers have had kit stolen by chaperones.  My personal experience includes a chaperone who was overly keen on 'adjusting' the model's clothing, something I was very uncomfortable with.  

Bottom line is that you'll just have to come to terms with it.  Some allow them, some don't.  

Jeremy

Posted 2 Jan 2010
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
I've done a couple of shoots with a model's boyfriend in the same room - and they were fine, but like most togs I'd prefer that they weren't there. Photography is about a lot of things - the lighting, the craft of actually getting the right settings on the camera, the composition and styling but probably most importantly the discussion and interaction with the subject. You're trying to get emotion into the picture (it's like an acting performance) and other people in the room negatively affect that.

I suppose as a worst case, photographers fear jealous/interfering partners... or who knows, even some sort of strange cuckold thing going on between model and partner.

To answer your direct question - what's the problem with a person in another room:
- If you're shooting on a photographer's premises (home studio say), would they really trust some random bloke they'd never met to have free-run of the building, unattended for three hours.
- Similarly, if a photographer hires a studio, they're then responsible for that space and breakages etc. The model is fine, because he/she is in the same room - but I wouldn't want to be responsible for the actions and safety of another person - again, who has unsupervised run of the place.

So it's both about the dynamics of the studio itself, and trust of some unknown person if they're not actually in the studio (of the two, I'd probably rather have them in earshot/sight).

I think photographers may have been especially unreceptive as it sounds like most of your work is clothed... and this could be seen as less risky/less reason to be chaperoned?

Couldn't your friend disappear off to a local pub with a book, once they've met the photographer and you're both satisfied that everything is OK.

Posted 2 Jan 2010
photoclassic
Photographer
photoclassic
At the risk of sounding dumb; a chaperone doesn't actually need to be with you.

Taking a leaf from the book of other trades where "lone working" is the norm, they operate a buddy system.

Your "buddy" has your mobile number and the name, address and landline number of the person you are visiting (or in this case photographer you are shooting with).  They know the approximate start and end times of the shoot.  You call your buddy to advise when you arrive on a shoot and you call again when you leave.  If you have not called by an agreed time, your buddy will attempt to contact you on your mobile; if that fails they call the client's landline.  If you cannot be contacted within 15 minutes of the agreed call-in time, the police are informed.

Simples!
Posted 2 Jan 2010
THANK YOU CARRIEAN20.I have actually been in contact with other models and am having my first shoot on Friday, and  more booked this year. The tog who shot  my profile images does not mind who they bring to the shoot. and does not understand what the fuss is about having my own assistant, be it man or woman xx

Posted 2 Jan 2010
It seems this conversation has now been locked