Solve an argument please....

Solve an argument please....

21 posts
19 Aug 2009
Victoria_Howard
Make Up Artist
Victoria_How..
OK
Who job is it to ensure that the models nails are clean, filed, and buffed?
Mine and I should either do the job on the day or hire someone to do the job on the day of the shoot.
Or the models job to maintain herself to a minimum standard and not turn up with dirty, bitten nails.
Posted 19 Aug 2009
Edited by Victoria_Howard 19 Aug 2009
I would say its the models job to make sure her nails are clean before a shoot.
Unless your title is 'nail artist'

Posted 19 Aug 2009
Tathiel
Model
Tathiel
I let my nails grow naturally but i don't go to a nail place to have them done. I suppose it depends on what your nail's are like? Im lucky in that i have nice petite nails that grow quickly - but on the other end of the angle they are also too small for false ones!

Posted 19 Aug 2009
RobertBetts
Photographer
RobertBetts
Yuk - what a question - The Models everytime you are a make up artist not a beauty therapist!
Models have to accept that their bodies are the tool of their trade and respect it as that.

I have had models turn up for shoots in the past after a night out on the tiles or just over consumed with drink - I wont shoot them -Its not my job to work with those conditions

Posted 19 Aug 2009
I would be totally embarrassed to turn up to a shoot with bad nails! I like to make sure they're nice and neat with necessary varnish already done. I would think if a MUA wanted to paint nails on the day then they could easily, as long as the basics have been tended to first. How shocking for a model to own dirty, bitten nails!

Posted 19 Aug 2009
I think it's disgusting(!!!!!!) that models would even consider turning up to a shoot with filthy, teeth abused nails! I always ensure my nails are done for a shoot, it may only be a little detail but it looks alot better in pictures and if someone had bad nails it would be one of the first things I noticed! Its the littler things that notice! x

Posted 19 Aug 2009
kt101
Photographer
kt101
Not as bad as non washed hair i think.

Posted 19 Aug 2009
bulky
Model
bulky
Unless we are talking about nails shoot with nails artist - it's model's work ofc. Now tell us what happened
Posted 19 Aug 2009
RobertBetts
Photographer
RobertBetts
Yeah bad hair is worse - can hide fingers - tends to ruin shots if you have to hide the head
Posted 19 Aug 2009
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
Definately the models job to keep her nails nice and manicured. Im an MUA/Bodypainter and am not in front of the camera on a shoot BUT I WOULD STILL make sure MY nails were decent...If only at the beginning of the shoot before all the paint and latex abuse!!!lol

A model with dirty bitten nails??? sacrilegious!!!!

Posted 19 Aug 2009
Victoria_Howard
Make Up Artist
Victoria_How..
Model turned upp (NOT someone from here) with broken dirty unbuffed nails, and very noticable hard skin feet, paid shoot too. Could really have done with a pedicure and manicure. Although I body paint, and much of the body is covered in paint, it is still nice if the model has filled, buffed clean nails. When I mentioned this ( I send models a note before shooting asking them to do nails, remove hair ect), she said it was my job...So just checking with everyone else, whose job is what.
Posted 20 Aug 2009
simplydivine
Make Up Artist
simplydivine
Definitely the models responsibility to have clean, filed, neat nails,( girls and boys) and even if girls dont have long nails at least neatly filed and clean. and modles dont think it doesn't matter it can ruin a shot if nails are bitten or have chipped polish. After all your body is the tool of your trade so look after it! Victoria I have offered girls nail polish remover and file if they are really bad, But definitely not our job to sort nails, unless booked to do that job aswell and that's extra lol I actually offered on here and another model site at a very very discounted rate to apply nail extensions to any models who wanted it as it really does make a difference to an image. In your trade Victoria as you say neat clean nails are more important and the model should have at least attended to that. As for dirty hair ..... don't even get me started on that one !!!!!!!! lol
Posted 21 Aug 2009
cassiemakeup
Make Up Artist
cassiemakeup
i've had to fix models nails on shoots before, it SHOULD be their responsibility and go without saying but if not, like it or not if a model turns up to a shoot with shitty nails it WILL fall on you to sort it out... the same way you would sort out tan patches, cover bruises, etc. the whole body is your responsibility in the eyes of a client.

i just keep a very basic manicure set in my kit (white, clear nail polish, file and remover) and also the cheapo stick on nails have saved my ass a few times also!

Posted 21 Aug 2009
Victoria_Howard
Make Up Artist
Victoria_How..
I think I will keep a buffer, file, hand cream, orange stick, remover ect in my kit from now on. I'm not insured or trained to do nails...Do you think its OK to give the model the kit and tell them to do them herself? Or does anyone know how much and how long a basic nail course costs/takes? Models and bad nails are turning into a repeat problems for me. Thanks
Posted 23 Aug 2009
Victoria_Howard

I think I will keep a buffer, file, hand cream, orange stick, remover ect in my kit from now on. I'm not insured or trained to do nails...Do you think its OK to give the model the kit and tell them to do them herself? Or does anyone know how much and how long a basic nail course costs/takes? Models and bad nails are turning into a repeat problems for me. Thanks

You didn't think my nails were bad did you? I know they're long and generally unpainted but i always keep them clean and filed. *worried face*

I think it is the models job, but wouldn't hurt to keep a few basics in your kit for emergencies (sometimes a nail may chip/break on the shoot or on the way to it). I think you can do a basic nail course for about £120 over 2 days in Nottingham city centre (opposite Broadway).
Posted 23 Aug 2009
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join