What do others think of this???????

What do others think of this???????

16 posts
5 July 2009
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
I applied for a job recently advertised in the MUA wanted section.....this was part of the reply i got!!!

.....................................If you could let me know your rates, pardon me for my ignorance, but I usually used only local people they are more friendly give them a nominal pay and got some above average pics. So i don't know how the pros work.

IS IT ME???????  i am really put out by this attitude.  I dont think i need to explain why??? Does this guy need to learn how to communicate professionally or what?? I havent even the heart to reply never mind work with this guy!!

Posted 5 July 2009
Edited by Secondskin 5 July 2009
jes
Model
jes
I wouldn't be offended by it.  I think what he's trying to say is that he's used amateurs in the past so doesn't know how it works booking a professional or what your rates are likely to be.  Obviously the construction of his sentences leave a lot to be desired but some people aren't very good at expressing what they mean through writing.
Posted 5 July 2009
kt101
Photographer
kt101
At the end of the day he is only asking a valid question. He wants to know how much it would cost to have a professional MUA.
Yes i understand its a bit off but then just tell him how much and leave it at that.
Some people naturally have an attitude problem.
We all get it from time to time.

Posted 5 July 2009
Rude Rude Rude is all i can say !!!!

Posted 5 July 2009
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS
Generally speaking, taking offence is a choice
Posted 5 July 2009
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
TonyS

Is not being rude  a choice too??  Being in an industry where people skills are a must!!
Posted 5 July 2009
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS
Secondskin

Is not being rude  a choice too??  Being in an industry where people skills are a must!!

Its difficult to pick up intonation in an email, the guy has structured his sentance poorly. Probably down to the word "More"

You can pick up on that if you want, or dismiss it as a syntax error and move on.

Obviously bear it in mind if they say other stuff that you feel is upsetting, but its doubtfull that a guy trying to arrange work with you is going to go out of his way to outrage you, so its more logical to assume its a mis-understanding.

Posted 5 July 2009
Secondskin
Make Up Artist
Secondskin
Yeah, i can see your point Tony. I think its because as an MUA i have always prided myself on upholding a professional friendly approach, so it takes me back a bit how some people type before they think.

Posted 5 July 2009
TonyS
Photographer
TonyS
Well, here`s your chance to blow his socks off and show what a proffesional is all about!
Posted 5 July 2009
Victoria_Howard
Make Up Artist
Victoria_How..
Sounds very rude.
However just respond back to him sweetly with a standard reply

Posted 5 July 2009
kumarphotoshoot
Photographer
kumarphotosh..
I was just going thru the forum and found this interesting post which is about me. Sorry Secondskin that you found i was rude but you chopped up the head and tail of the mail, which i think you completely misunderstood. Anyway, you responded to my forum request saying "Hiya...I am quite local to you. Please take a look at my port and if you think i could be useful to you feel free to pm me and I can send you my rates. Is this the shoot with xxxx(removed)? as i have already messaged her today. " and I replied "I am looking to tie up with few make-up artist as i feel that i am missing a punch in my pics, where a makeup artist can give that extra impact. I got different rates from people that can't take a decision. Basically at present looking for some beauty shots nothing extensive. Maybe a step further in the further will venture into more makeup and body art kind of things. Yes, i need a makeup artist for xxxx(removed) too i.e, on (removed), saturday from 7.30 to late, but i adverted for today's shoot and have thursday & friday shoots (not completely finalised). If you could let me know your rates, pardon me for my ignorance, but I usually used only local people they are more friendly give them a nominal pay and got some above average pics. So i don't know how the pros work. Definitely at present i can't pay hourly rate. Give me some economical options and will let you know." Yes, after reading this reply, found many grammatical mistakes. But on the whole all i was saying was using Amateur MUA and getting average pics and my intention was to hire a pro MUA at some reasonable cost as i am just enhancing my port and not for commercial assignments nor selling pics and get some great images with the help of MUA, as i feel that hiring pros is the only way. I do like your work, and if you want to keep this misunderstanding aside and want to work with me, please do send your rates either as a session or per model or per hour or simply ignore it and let's move forward.
Posted 12 July 2009
desyek
Photographer
desyek
TonyS

I take offence with this statement.

emoticon
Posted 12 July 2009
HatterArts
Photographer
HatterArts
I was very confused at what caused offense - he works with MUA's who are friends for nominal fees - he now wants to pay a pro (so to speak) and has no idea what the going rate is!

Posted 12 July 2009
Bob
Photographer
Bob
kumarphotoshoot

Sorry Secondskin that you found i was rude but you chopped up the head and tail of the mail, which i think you completely misunderstood. 

Naughty, naughty Kumar. By not allowing the quote to remain out of context you have completely ruined a rant. You are a very inconsiderate Photographer and should be burnt at the stake for your heresy!

Never, ever try to stop a MUA when she's in rant mode. Like a low intellect midget, it's not big and it's not clever.

Bob

Posted 12 July 2009
Edited by Bob 13 July 2009
HatterArts
Photographer
HatterArts
Bob

Naughty, naughty Kumar. By not allowing the quote to remain out of context you have completely ruined a rant. You are a very inconsiderate Photographer and should be burnt at the stake for your heresy!

Never, ever try to stop a MUA when she's in rant mode. Like a low intellect midget, it's not big and it's not clever.

Bob

PMSL
Posted 12 July 2009
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join