Outdoor nude shoot locations

Outdoor nude shoot locations

21 posts
19 May 2009
Ianspics
Photographer
Ianspics
Hi everyone just looking for a bit of advice please,
                                                                   Iam hoping to do some outdoor nude shoots in the summer (when ever that happens). So I was looking for locations for nude shoots in the North West round Merseyside - Lancashire - Cheshire and Wales that would be suitable for that type of project, also what is the law regarding outdoor nude shoots dont fancy the old bill on me case.

Cheers Ianemoticon
Posted 19 May 2009
gantar
Photographer
gantar
Don't know of any in the NW  but there are plenty in the SW  ands its warmer, though sometimes wetter too.

The law?  Choose a naturist beach 'clothes optional ' signs usually present.  Should have no bother there, except genuine naturists afraid of being caught on your camera.  Avoid annoying or upsetting others, don't point your camera in their direction.

Open moorland is great, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Woodbury, also secluded beaches, but keep an eye out for people on the cliff tops with binoculars!

Only if you cause offence to others might you be reported to the police, so get ready to cover up if you hear or see others out dog walking or rambling around.
In practice if you have a confident model and carry on photographing I've found the majority of the great British public feel a bit embarrased and avoid you or walk round another way with a few furtive glances just to make sure they have really seen a naked beauty in their favourite woods.
If a couple, the man usually gets frog marched in the opposite direction by his partner!  If a single male or couple of males approach get ready to pack up and walk, avoid confrontation and always maintain a professional approach to model and others who may not have yours or your models appreciation of the naked figure as a work of art, or beauty to be appreciated.

Research your site beforehand, I spend many happy hours alone looking for secluded glades in forests, but have my favourite places with good and close car access and a variety of woods, meadows, rocks, water and old barns.
   All you need is the good weather and RELIABLE models!   My biggest problem I'm afraid.  No shortage of locations.
Posted 19 May 2009
Lifescapes
Photographer
Lifescapes
In my experience the vast majority of people are far more accepting of nudity in the great outdoors, particularly if you are shooting near water.  That said, preparation seems to be the key to making this a success.  Research your locations thoroughly beforehand.  Check access so you can see where anyone might be coming from.  Check where the sun is so that you can get the angles right.

Your nearest nudist beach will probably be near Barmouth - it's a cracking beach though.

Brief your model beforehand and make she/he's comfortable with the arrangement.

Being naked out of doors is not an offence and in the unlikely event of you being spotted and even unlikelier reported, all you can be charged with is 'breach of the peace' type offences.

And going against the grain of popular opinion on here, this is one situation where (IMHO) chaperones can come in to their own.  Carry stuff, keeping lookout, etc.

Having said all that, my shoot last week, where in half a dozen visits I've only seen a handful of people was suddenly the most popular corner of the Lakes.  Ah well.
Posted 19 May 2009
Edited by Lifescapes 19 May 2009
Gazz
Photographer
Gazz
Sand dunes at Formby are great, and quite quiet during school term, but even then you can quite easily attract an audience!

Now all you've got to do is catch a model and wait for a sunny day!  Good luck.
Posted 19 May 2009
Lifescapes
Photographer
Lifescapes
… ahh the sand dunes. Takes me back.  I remember getting the car bogged down one evening many years ago when I was there with a lady friend … happy days.

Posted 19 May 2009
whicker
Photographer
whicker
Don't  use a location where someone can accidently stumble upon your shoot- always make sure you can see the directions walkers are coming from well in advance, so you can take a break when someone is passing. If someone stumbles upon a nude shoot it could be very embarassing, possibly upsetting or worrying for them, and that is where a potential issue could be. 

I was once with my mum and a five year old, walking the dog along the canal, on the branch that leads out of Glasson Dock,  and we literally almost stumbled on a naked man sunbathing next to the towpath as we passed under a bridge.

Not a problem in this case, but some people, espeically with children, might not wish to be exposed to nudity. Just be respectful.
Posted 19 May 2009
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
I encountered another aspect of location shoots quite recently. We were in an industrial complex, out of business hours, in what seemed to be a fairly secluded location, when I became aware of a watcher. This individual must have approached with care (on reflection, he may have seen us walking from the car, obviously intent on a shoot from the kit I was carrying) and was stood watching us (or at least the model, I hope) while fondling himself through his trousers.

As soon as I spotted him, we  packed up and moved off. Unfortunately, the car was the other side of him. He immediately walked off at speed, while pronouncing repeatedly in a loud and quite venomous tone that what we were doing was disgusting and that he had called the police. He continued in this frame of mind until we got to the car, where with a final volley of indignation he walked off, but not before making a great show of taking a picture of my car with his mobile. We then drove off to give him time to cool down. We returned to the location after a short while to await the arrival of the police, in case he had been less than honest, so we could give our side. Needless to say, they didn't arrive, and I've heard nothing since.

It did rather spoil the day, but I got a couple of images out of it that I'm rather pleased with.
Posted 19 May 2009
Edited by Sdeve 19 May 2009
Ianspics
Photographer
Ianspics
Hi guys,
          Thanks for the replies to my post. It seems you have had the same problems as me, people interrupting. I have used formby beach and forest before, usually around mid morning during Mon to Fri less people around at that time. I will try the idea of the nudist beaches during the week when its quieter.

Cheers Ian emoticon
Posted 20 May 2009
mgphotomedia
Photographer
mgphotomedia
Sdeve

I encountered another aspect of location shoots quite recently. We were in an industrial complex, out of business hours

I wouldn't recommend industrial complexes unless you know them very well. Loads of CCTV and 24hr security.

Most likely your 'voyeur' spotted you both from the comfort of his security box, surrounded by banks of CCTV screens, but decided he wanted to get up close and 'personal'.
Posted 20 May 2009
Edited by mgphotomedia 20 May 2009
whicker
Photographer
whicker
Ianspics

Hi guys,
          Thanks for the replies to my post. It seems you have had the same problems as me, people interrupting. 

Sounds an odd choice of phrase- but don't forget that people have a "right" to interrupt. If you using a public area, then people have the right to be there too.

Some users of public space (not photographers, I should add) seem to get very moody and self rightous when others cross "their" space. Fishermen for example, tend to get angry at families walking past where they are fishing.

Posted 20 May 2009
Edited by whicker 20 May 2009
Lifescapes
Photographer
Lifescapes
You're quite right Ian, if it's public then the public have a right to be there.  The best way to avoid them is a) take a long walk, b) let the model bring her chaperone, and if all else fails just get her to smile sweetly at them.

Whilst most people are quite tolerant of nudity, they don't 'expect' it and it's the surprise that causes the problems.  Using a naturist beach, where it is expected is one way round the problem - just be careful who you point your camera at.
Posted 20 May 2009
gazmann
Photographer
gazmann
there are lots of places on the yorks lancs border for great outdoor shoots
you gotta be wise though and pick your time carefully as to avoid mass traffic, i found that between 4 and 6 on evenings is good as most people if out walking are heading home for food and its too early for an evening stroll
another thing is to use a regular back pack to carry your gear and try to look like a walker........anything esle stands out a mile
also as said if model can bring a friend as an extra pair of eyes thats allways great.
it is quite challanging but end results can be worth it

just one last thought.......try to arrive in same car.....meet up somewhere first then travel in same car.........this way you dont attract attension as your just a couple out for a walk

Gary
Posted 24 May 2009
RobYoungManchester
Photographer
RobYoungManc..
I've found Formby very good for outdoor nude shoots. The main reason is the quality of the beach. The sand is clean and golden, the sand dunes mean you don't see buildings and people in the distance. People didn't believe I'd shot the photos in the UK! I have just kept away from people and, although some may have seen us from a distance they haven't interacted at all. It is important clothed or unclothed not to make the shoot look too professional to the rangers though or they can ask for a permit (it's national trust land). I have heard of that problem with a fashion shoot there. I tend to work fast as if myself and the model are just friends or a couple doing a few cheeky shots. I've always thought that might cause less offence.

On the occasions when we have been discovered in Manchester (e.g. next to the canal or in railway arches) I have found people leave a wide berth around you assuming you probably have permission and feeling they are intruding. I even found they waited till we had finished a set then walked past the naked model quickly with eyes down appologising.

Posted 5 May 2014
atumeda
Photographer
atumeda

you gotta be wise though and pick your time carefully as to avoid mass traffic, i found that between 4 and 6 on evenings is good as most people if out walking are heading home for food and its too early for an evening stroll

I can confirm 4 to 6 (or to sundown as a proper time with no public, because MIDGET TIME. At least here in Scotland. Any proper hill walker is happy to be back in the car at this time.
I could have made tons of shoots .... if there was a model with me, but thats another story. I arrive usually seeing the last car going from the parking space.

Posted 18 May 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
Does anyone realise that this discussion is now five years old (to the day) and the person who asked the quetion is no longer a member, which would seem to make any replies futile?

Posted 19 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join