Reminder Secure

CANCELLATIONS - why book us? then cancel us?

24 February 2009 14:51
majestic_layers
Make-up Artist

why do models book you to work with them?

you research the project / travel / even buy extras like false eyelashes / nails etc anything specific to the shoot
and then the models OR EVEN PHOTOGRAPHERS cancel
or not get in touch

......... WHAT IS WITH THIS INDUSTRY? - lol I work at this full time
I rely on work to eat!
what is so hard to understand about that?

thank god ive got with some agncies.

we should have a no show box

'name and shame'

do any other MUA ask for deposits? if Its only an hour say £50 cash for one shoot- if they cancel what can we do?
I am going to start billing people that mess me around
third one so far!!!

rant over -
ruthy

Eleanor James is off-line
24 February 2009 15:03
EleanorJames
Make-up Artist

Kent
ashford

im in the same position - been booked up but then havent heard from them since no matter how much i chase them gets to the point where i cant chase anymore - i dont do this full time i run my own beauty business and if  my clients cancel i charge cancelation fees so cant see y u couldnt especially if its paid work x

Victoria Howard is off-line
25 February 2009 17:19
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

If I don't show for my dentist he bills me full fee.
I'm starting to ask for deposits too. Sick of this nonsense.

Dann Chelley  is off-line
25 February 2009 17:38
DannS
Model
DannS
West Yorkshire
Halifax/Leeds

Hyaa

I am a model not an MUA but I think if like myself a model is seriously interested in thier work & booked a MUA they wouldnt cancel .. MUAs when you get a no-show write a bad reference on profiles !!
We have made a shoot booking with you as much as the photographer !!
Let people know whats going on , then they know how it feels to have time wasted

Rant over

xxxemoticon
Taking Bookings As I Have More Dates Available :)

Jane-Louise is off-line
26 February 2009 11:14
jane_louise
Make-up Artist

Greater Manchester
Bolton

I ask for deposits..no deposit means I dont turn up!
If I have worked with someone a few times and know they are reliable then I would not ask for a deposit, but people I have never worked with before, I always get a deposit off them so that I dont totally loose out if it cancels.
No one has seemed to be bothered by it either, the way I look at it is if they are bothered about paying it then the shoot is probably not 100% confirmed in which case they should not be booking me anyway.

26 February 2009 14:41
Secondskin
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending

Quote from majestic_layers
why do models book you to work with them?

you research the project / travel / even buy extras like false eyelashes / nails etc anything specific to the shoot
and then the models OR EVEN PHOTOGRAPHERS cancel
or not get in touch

......... WHAT IS WITH THIS INDUSTRY? - lol I work at this full time
I rely on work to eat!
what is so hard to understand about that?

thank god ive got with some agncies.

we should have a no show box

'name and shame'

do any other MUA ask for deposits? if Its only an hour say £50 cash for one shoot- if they cancel what can we do?
I am going to start billing people that mess me around
third one so far!!!

rant over -
ruthy

Hi Ruthy

I bill too. I have to as bodypainting is so expensive and the materials are sometimes really time consuming to source, so it gets right on my nerves when a project that iv done a lot of research for is cancelled with hours to go!! VERY annoying.  And you can leave feedback on their portfolio for no shows??

Claire Shipman is off-line
26 February 2009 14:49
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

All I can say is, these things happen. Lesson learned though - dont buy anything prior to a shoot unless you have recieved funds via paypal for eyelashes etc.

26 February 2009 17:59
toddie69
Model

I have looked through all of the MUA's who have posted on here and I wouldnt cancel on ANY of you! Or anyone else for that matter!! 

If someone cancels on you for a paid shoot then you would, IMHO, be paid if no good reason was given or enough time beforehand!
Love Life, Live Life, Dream!! xxx

Michelle MacGregor is off-line
02 March 2009 07:14
ProMakeupMichelle
Make-up Artist
ProMakeupMichelle
London

Unfortunaly Cancellations do sometimes happen
I myself have never had a cancellation or no show - only a reschedule, but have been notified beforehand.

but all that has been suggested do help to prevent you (us make-up artists) from incurring any losses

* Build a good trusting relationshiop (even if it is via email or by phone) with the client

* Ask for a small deposit to be paid to you to confim & secure their booking - via paypal is good (I usually go with between £20-£50 dependent on the job)
   If they question why you need a deposit this is a little worrying but just explain it will be to cover initial costings, to get stock for the job, etc.
   & explain that it is non refundable if they cancel (without rescheduling or if they do not turn up)

* Also check references to whom this person has worked with in the past, have they had comments or testimonials from other Make-up Artists etc.

Hope that helps Hun

Michelle MacGregor - Creator & Head Make-up Artist - www.glamitwithmac.com

19 March 2009 05:17
majestic_layers
Make-up Artist

Yes thank you it all helps

As I'm fairly new to this - any advice on setting up paypal
Pms greatly received I think deposits are the way to go !
Ruthy

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ChloeDevine chosin pinklilly
Blancho dby47 duncanpritchard iestyn philippahh photostevo redtail shadowtime74 siclews spiritofwales Willjamieson