Reminder Secure

starting out

14 February 2009 08:24
dani8709
Make-up Artist

hi, im pretty new to this site, I have been a qualified hairdresser for 3 years and I am currently studying for a level 3 diploma in theatrical and media hair and makeup which I will finnish in May, I have had some photoshoot experience and am gradually building up my portfolio, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when I am qualified, are there any agencies that would take me on once my portfoilio is up to scratch and how do I go about getting paid work? I'm starting to panic a bit as my savings are running out and as a single mum I want to try and build up a stable business. Would be really grateful of any advice,
Many Thanks
Dani x

Claire Shipman is off-line
15 February 2009 10:51
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from dani8709
hi, im pretty new to this site, I have been a qualified hairdresser for 3 years and I am currently studying for a level 3 diploma in theatrical and media hair and makeup which I will finnish in May, I have had some photoshoot experience and am gradually building up my portfolio, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do when I am qualified, are there any agencies that would take me on once my portfoilio is up to scratch and how do I go about getting paid work? I'm starting to panic a bit as my savings are running out and as a single mum I want to try and build up a stable business. Would be really grateful of any advice,
Many Thanks
Dani x

Hi Dani,

My best advice would be to get an income from elsewhere during the first 2-3 years, and do make up on the side. Its very rare that any agency will take on an mua with hardly any experience and or straight from college. Most mua's work for a few years building up a fantastic portfolio testing with different photograpers, models and designers. Im lucky I had someone to support me during this time otherwise, I would have starved, no joke!

Weddings however may be an option and are a good way to keep the cash flowing in, if you can do them! (But they are not easy money either, in my opinion after a few experiences of what us mua's call the Bridezillas!) 

Until you are more experienced I would not rely on any income from the photographic side of this business, paid jobs are rare, you only have to look in this forum to realise this! Until you have built up a good regular client base and this can take years, its not an easy way to make money at all, you will invest thousands into your kit over the years and spend plenty of time and money travelling to get those perfect pictures for your portfolio just to eventually brave the agencies... and they have so many girls doing this now that even if you are super talented at what you do, they still may not take you on either that or your book is just not quite perfect enough yet so they rip it to bits (Not literally) and tell you to come back when its better, harsh but you will learn a lot from doing this.

I hope this helps and its not disheartened you, but i think if your a single mum you need some decent advice and im not about to tell you can support your child on an income that wont exist until as above you have a regular client base and a portfolio ready to be showed to agencies.

Good luck!

15 February 2009 15:13
dani8709
Make-up Artist

hi, thankyou for your advice, i'm very glad I did my hairdressing beforehand so at least I have a trade and a source of income. I am glad I joined this sight as it gives an insight into how hard it is to break into this industry and also how high the standards are, it's something you never get taught in college, they tell you all the different career avenues you can go down and how much you get paid but not how hard it is to actually get there in the first place! hopefully get there one day though thanx again
dani x

Claire Shipman is off-line
16 February 2009 09:28
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from dani8709
hi, thankyou for your advice, i'm very glad I did my hairdressing beforehand so at least I have a trade and a source of income. I am glad I joined this sight as it gives an insight into how hard it is to break into this industry and also how high the standards are, it's something you never get taught in college, they tell you all the different career avenues you can go down and how much you get paid but not how hard it is to actually get there in the first place! hopefully get there one day though thanx again
dani x

Thats very true, you dont get taught anything in college and they make it sound easy but its the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Hairdressers will always have an income so im glad you can get a regular income whilst working towards your portfolio. I would suggest joining modelmayhem.com there is a lot more helpful advice in thier forums it is very American but the advice the girls give over there is priceless from what to charge to what lipstick works best for certain things, its a styling bible

PS choose very wisely who you work with for your portfolio, working with just anyone will do you no favours at all.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
KinkyKaycee Missminiskirt Pinklilly toxicinnocence
alanbassettphotography ansonphotography Cliff Creativedge DAVEYC Dolayley Don_Dark Hioctane James7799 jccj1 john2017 JohnDentonPhoto keltica Kjoservices mg mike0048 Philski photomart photostevo RealityImaging Reynard ricciarelli steveh32 Steveharratt Twilightphotography