Lisa Taylor is off-line
07 December 2008 13:14
lisataylor_mua
Make-up Artist
lisataylor_mua
London
Hornchurch

Quote from LylacBlush
I totally agree, over the past few weeks I have been reporting several models posting for make up jobs with no mention of qualifications despite it being a necessity (apparently) on this site.

As said above these girls that want to play make up artist are putting your health at risk, there are some horrible infections caused by cross contamination from make up, please girls think about who you are booking!!

OK, so it might be free but at what cost... Conjunctivitis, maybe a cold sore or worse?

A profeshional Mua will be obsessed with hygiene (I know I am and proud of it!!!) please BE CAREFUL.

Do you know if your reports were actioned at all Claire?  I recently reported someone and as far as I can tell, there was nothing done.

Claire Shipman is off-line
10 December 2008 14:30
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Quote from lisataylor_mua
Do you know if your reports were actioned at all Claire?  I recently reported someone and as far as I can tell, there was nothing done.

Nope, as far as I can see nothing has been done, but then again I dont really check up on things, maybe I should start looking back to see if they have been deleted or not.

13 December 2008 09:40
JaneWeiss
Model

Quote from LylacBlush
Nope, as far as I can see nothing has been done, but then again I dont really check up on things, maybe I should start looking back to see if they have been deleted or not.

Maybe the moderators checked with the model in question and she/he was able to provide proof of training?
Travel to me for a shoot - All bookings at Westgate Studio (Long Eaton) receive a 10% discount on my model fee.

Lisa Taylor is off-line
13 December 2008 10:48
lisataylor_mua
Make-up Artist
lisataylor_mua
London
Hornchurch

Quote from JaneWeiss
Maybe the moderators checked with the model in question and she/he was able to provide proof of training?

The person I reported quite clearly states on her profile she has had no formal training and will not be undertaking any until 2009, and then had the cheek to go on to say she will take cash or cheque payment!  She lives miles away from me so it's not going to affect my business, but I f feel frustrated for the properly trained people she could be taking work away from. It's annoying that there is supposed to be this 'No training=No profile' Policy, but it is totally unpoliced.

photo3 is a moderatorPlatinum Member
14 December 2008 06:22
photo3
Photographer
photo3
Kent
Rainham

Quote from lisataylor_mua
It's annoying that there is supposed to be this 'No training=No profile' Policy, but it is totally unpoliced.

Unfortunately we do get a huge variety of reports of various types ranging from requests for photographer interaction to changes of DOB. It is possible that a report may get missed if it has happened on a day that has a lot of other activity so if you want to PM me I can check. I know profiles reported are being checked, some have been removed and others have provided evidence of their training.

We are also completely reliant on members reporting profiles. Whether it be for unqualified MUAs or a copyright theft etc we are unable to view all profiles so please continue to report any profiles that give cause for concern.

Andy
Admin team
Photography in Kent, Essex & Sussex. Visit our websites www.photo3.co.uk and new site www.models3.co.uk

squodge photography is off-line
02 January 2009 07:54
squodge
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
squodge
London
London

Quote from simplydivine
Totally agree with you ladies, its becoming tiresome to find increasing numbers of models who think they will "try their hand at make up" and take the work from pro MUA's  offering cheap rates when the modelling dries up... but having had no training or experience and as you say often no insurance!

What about photographers trying their hands at make-up LOL?  I've done a basic intensive course in beauty make-up [very basic], which emphasised health & safety.  I'm now doing the ASET Level 3 in Beauty Therapy at a local college, part time, so it'll take at least two years for me to finish it [it's hard juggling it against a law degree].

Onto your other point - insurance.  Lots of photographers also don't have insurance, so surely that's also a problem?  If a photographer is amateur, probably no one expects him to have insurance because he's not doing it professionally.  So does that mean an amateur MUA doesn't need insurance?  It's my understanding that insurance would only be needed if you were doing something as 'employment' - is that correct?  Therefore, it would just come under Tort Law - i.e. you sue me if I leave you with weird skin.

~ squodge ~
There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not.

Pete Davies is off-line
02 January 2009 10:41
Peted123
Photographer

Wiltshire

Hello

My two penneth - whilst i sympathise with you - photographers have been suffering this for years - as digital cameras have become cheaper  you will find many people listed as photographers who have no experience and no idea on even the basics in lighting calling themselves photographers. They offer cheap rates generally do a poor job and give full time professionals a bad name.

For example i charge on average £2000 per wedding i shoot - not the most expensive in this area by a long way - but substantially more than the recent advert in the local rag for £250 (including an album) i know that its always subjective but what sort of coverage and quality are you going to get on the most important day of your life for that?

We are only going to see an increase in this as the economy slides as people think they will trun their hand to anything else that might make a few quid.

I cannot see that we can do anything other than offer a great portfolio and offer the best service we can. If people try and take the cheap option then i have no sympathy if they get ripped off (or get cold sores) Lets face it - its not hard to research on a site like this what is good or bad and then make a few enquiries on price is it?

Regards

Pete

James  Clark  is off-line
10 February 2009 06:32
make_upartiste
Make-up Artist
make_upartiste
Glasgow
Glasgow/London

The problem of person with kit (guys are guilty to) is that its fast becoming an overburdened industry in the UK. COlleges are churning out hopeful students with the notion that in a few months they are going to be doing film, tv and fashion earnong mases of money, when the reality is they are not ready and need to learn the job.

I know many pro make up artist, a term I use loosely, who having gotten a vtct or hnd certificate onsider themselves qualified and its not true.  People who work hard and earn their stripes, look agfter their kit, earn clients and can work hygenically can do the job.

Infections are passed by stupidity and ignorance of the rigors of this trade.

When it comes to a choice between someone willing to work for free or for very little money most people take it, inspite of the inherit work and risk involved. 

Infections will contiunue to be common as long as people are unaware of hygeine for their kit and are stuid enough to think think this is an easy job.

Having stood in the middle of fields, studio's and many other nasty places to work I understand the risks and make usre I am safe in the workplace. Educating people properly and doing your time as an assistant (not always possible sadly) is a must,

James
professional make up artist for fashion and video.

Victoria Howard is off-line
12 February 2009 18:36
Victoria_Howard
Make-up Artist
Victoria_Howard
Hungary
Budapest

Is there any way that Body painters can have a different section to MUA's on this forum?  We have different training and industry issues to MUAs? (althrough some MUA also body paint or vice a vera).

It should be noted that professional body painters have their own strict hygiene and industry standards and have insurance

18 February 2009 05:03
majestic_layers
Make-up Artist

In between fast shoots etc I use clinque brush cleanser which is okay but can take awhile to dry - I clean my brushes every night and never use the same brush until washed on another! - common sense? Anyhow what do you find is the best quick fix temporary spray thanks Ruth

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Modeljo29 Sifx xamberx
Cheshunt83 cliffc davetse digineil dirkus duncanjames ellessephotography For_Arts_Sake forden_photo Gigar72 Gordee Hairflicks jackw James7799 john_at_tina_spice keltica Ladiesman lester2705 lextalionis Lssm2 markeos50d mikehemmings modelimaging Photojoe670 powerbook92 Rscott360 steveh32 Stevew1 Willjamieson