This thread is being watched by 1 person
Lisa Taylor is off-line
11 November 2008 09:02
lisataylor_mua
Make-up Artist
lisataylor_mua
London
Hornchurch

Despite having the thread about MUA account eligibility we seem to be having an influx of models offering their services for make up without being subject to moderation.  Can we expect to see these posts pulled at all?

I know it's been said over and over, but please people, don't book someone who hasn't had the relevant training. They won't know about the necessary hygiene and product safety procedures, nor will they have insurance.  These people are killing the make up  artist industry as well as putting your health at risk!

Claire Shipman is off-line
11 November 2008 12:00
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

I totally agree, over the past few weeks I have been reporting several models posting for make up jobs with no mention of qualifications despite it being a necessity (apparently) on this site.

As said above these girls that want to play make up artist are putting your health at risk, there are some horrible infections caused by cross contamination from make up, please girls think about who you are booking!!

OK, so it might be free but at what cost... Conjunctivitis, maybe a cold sore or worse?

A profeshional Mua will be obsessed with hygiene (I know I am and proud of it!!!) please BE CAREFUL.

Tracy Kane is off-line
11 November 2008 12:10
Tracy79
Make-up Artist
Tracy79
Edinburgh

I also agree, if they want to practice then they should on their own face only. We should post up the pics that shows the infections you mentioned. Also the important point of insurance. The industry is bad enough at the moment trying to seek paid work.

www.tracykane.co.uk

Claire Shipman is off-line
11 November 2008 12:32
ClaireShipman
Make-up Artist
This member has been reset to pending
ClaireShipman
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

TB's Make-Up is off-line
11 November 2008 16:23
TB_Make_Up
Make-up Artist

Wiltshire
Chippenham

I thought I'd post a reply on this as I am a model and have both MUA and model accounts on here.

I am slowly increasing my MUA career in place of my modelling career (getting old!!). However I am fully qualified and am excessively clean when it comes to my kit, I give my kit a clean after a shoot then a thorough clean once I get home.

Maybe it would be a good idea for certificates to be posted on profiles as proof of training etc.

Just a thought

Lisa Taylor is off-line
12 November 2008 03:53
lisataylor_mua
Make-up Artist
lisataylor_mua
London
Hornchurch

Quote from LylacBlush

I think these two pictures really say it all!

Why would someone want to put themselves at that kind of risk???

Karen Hegarty is off-line
12 November 2008 07:27
simplydivine
Make-up Artist
simplydivine
Cheshire

Totally agree with you ladies, its becoming tiresome to find increasing numbers of models who think they will "try their hand at make up" and take the work from pro MUA's  offering cheap rates when the modelling dries up... but having had no training or experience and as you say often no insurance!
Even a couple of weeks at college isn't sufficient training!
apart from the obvious hygeine issues there isn't the indepth tutition needed that most pro MUA's have to create the looks required for photography.
It really is very frustrating for us!!
Karen x

Luna Fae is off-line
12 November 2008 14:20
lunafae
Model
lunafae
Staffordshire
stafford

you make a good point. in my situation, i dont have enough images yet to create an MUA account, due to clients not wishing for images of themselves to be put on the internet. i have a qualification in theatrical make-up, A levels in Chem & Bio and a HND in illustration. my colleague has over 10 years as a Qualified hair stylist and also holds a GNVQ lvl3 in beauty therapy. so unfortunately, at the moment, i have to advertise myself through my model portfolio and word of mouth untill we have photographs of models which we can use on the internet. there may be some models/MUA's who are in a similar situation. but yes, i agree people should be careful with who they hire.

Karen Quinn is off-line
12 November 2008 19:39
face_forward
Make-up Artist
face_forward
Merseyside

If a model or photographer is stupid enough to use an un quallified make-up artist without the relevent insurance documents then more fool them. But I must say in all my years of working as a make-up artist I have only twice been asked to produce my insurance and certificates and they were both for teaching jobs!!! Even in the world of T.V which is what I work most in I have never been asked to show my documents.
Karen x

Tania Claire is off-line
21 November 2008 05:26
TaniaClaireMakeup
Make-up Artist
TaniaClaireMakeup
Surrey

I agree too, however I too am both model and make-up artist and shoot stylist and I was a photogrpaher for a while too.  I have been a model for over 20 yrs and a make-up artist for over 15yrs. I am hyper about cleaning stuff,  and I also work with an airbrush which does help dramatically with stopping any cross contamination.

My other bug bear is make-up artists that reply on Photo Shop to make their make-up look good. I now have old original prints from slides in my portfolio to show that my make-up doesn't need Photo Shop work to make it look good.

Rant over

T.xx

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Dadshouse12 Kathmoore1 paige_hendrix pinklilly
Add_barkaway Andy_B ansonphotography B_W canonman5D cliffc djb1 ElegantCaptures ellessephotography exfree freddie gkeesuk GlasgowPhotographer JohnDentonPhoto Kjoservices Musicman Nash Njsphotography pierre psn stevegosh timshawphotography TonyNutley wtphotos
Charlottealom