Raw & JPEG

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
18 March 2018 08:19
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

When I took an image (raw & JPEG) with my old camera (Sony A77) the JPEG would look to be spot-on to my eye, yet the raw image did not look right - particularly as regards to the white balance.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
18 March 2018 09:14
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

That's exactly how it's supposed to be.

Camera manufacturers spend $millions perfecting their presets to look 'perfect'. The RAW file is a completely unprocessed readout straight from the camera's sensor and ALWAYS requires further post processing to show the image at its best. Once you've mastered RAW processing, you'll end up with better images than any manufacturer's profile ever will, not least because for one thing, you're using an uncompressed image as opposed to a heavily compressed JPG.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
18 March 2018 09:43
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

If you use the Sony software it can "develop" the RAW file so it looks like the in camera JPG.

Lightroom or other software can't.

18 March 2018 09:52
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from RedChecker
That's exactly how it's supposed to be. Camera manufacturers spend $millions perfecting their presets to look 'perfect'. The RAW file is a completely unprocessed readout straight from the camera's sensor and ALWAYS requires further post processing to show the image at its best. Once you've mastered RAW processing, you'll end up with better images than any manufacturer's profile ever will, not least because for one thing, you're using an uncompressed image as opposed to a heavily compressed JPG.

That's good to know.

I edit most of my raw images using after shot 2. It sounds like I really do need to practice a lot more with my raw editing software. cheeky
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

18 March 2018 09:54
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from PHP_Photography
If you use the Sony software it can "develop" the RAW file so it looks like the in camera JPG. Lightroom or other software can't.

Unfortunately I only have Corel paint shop pro 8 and after shot 2

What I usually do is edit in raw using after shot 2 and then finish off in Corel paint shop pro 8. frown

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
18 March 2018 10:36
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Ladiesman
Unfortunately I only have Corel paint shop pro 8 and after shot 2

What I usually do is edit in raw using after shot 2 and then finish off in Corel paint shop pro 8. frown

I believe you also get a license for a abbridged version of Phase 2 which is dedicated to your Sony camera. I know I did when I bought my Sony Alpha. I would not be surprised if it has a preset to give you something similar to the options on your camera settings too. Incidently Lightroom also creates some camera dedicated presets intended to come close to the cameras options .
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

18 March 2018 10:54
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from redbaron
I believe you also get a license for a abbridged version of Phase 2 which is dedicated to your Sony camera. I know I did when I bought my Sony Alpha. I would not be surprised if it has a preset to give you something similar to the options on your camera settings too. Incidently Lightroom also creates some camera dedicated presets intended to come close to the cameras options .

I've now moved up to a Sony a 7r 11.

I must check the box of my camera and see if there is something like Phase 2. And of course see if there's anything on my camera settings.

Thank you for your help.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
18 March 2018 14:53
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

This is the link to the download I think the Express version is free but Pro requires an upgrade Never actually bothered to check that out as I have LR and while I think Phase one is better it also means learning yet another sodding software program

Oh and this is the details of what youi get apparently
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

18 March 2018 16:56
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from redbaron
This is the link to the download I think the Express version is free but Pro requires an upgrade Never actually bothered to check that out as I have LR and while I think Phase one is better it also means learning yet another sodding software program

Oh and this is the details of what youi get apparently

Thank you very much frown

13 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
butt3rflyxxx firessecret Frankirae Thejesta
antoinewynn djb1 GSPhotography humphries modelboutique soulc stevegosh swalsh58 westend_portfolios