JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
11 February 2018 15:53
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

I only use Corel Paint Shop Pro 8

Do I really need Lightroom or one of the other expensive editing software packages in order to make fantastic images?

I also have After Shot 2.

I would be grateful for peoples input on my editing software. 
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Dave Beasley is off-line
11 February 2018 18:14
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

I've been using the subscription model of PS CC and LR CC6, which I do find excellent, particularly for printing from, however I have now just purchased Affinity Photo software at £48 which seems very close to Photoshop in its features and way of working, and is a one-off cost/purchase.
Have a look at some of the Affinity tutorial videos on Internet.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10119-official-affinity-photo-desktop-video-tutorials-200/

Dave

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
12 February 2018 06:09
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

No. I think fantastic images are created well before you get anywhere near your editing software. Yes I use the Photoshop/lightroom combo but that's because over the years I have learned those programs inside out. Even so I find I need them less and less now for the bulk of my work. While I may feel the tweaks I do make improve the result more, I suspect in many cases straight out of camera (as far as there is such a thing) would gain the approval of most people.

I do sense that the PS/LR platform has reached a plateau too. While I have the latest version I cannot think of any recent groundbreaking improvements. I'm pretty sure that is why they moved to a subscription model. You need a big new thing to drive the upgrade sales. I have lost contact with Corel's version but looking around there are now a lot of programs starting to snap at the heels of Adobe. Particularly if you do not make use of liquefy or the warp tool to 'tweak' those awkward bumps. For me that remains a big plus when shooting clients. No Mum wants a double chin in her baby session for example and posing alone is not always an answer. When doing model shoots though you can be selective about who you are shooting.

On1 is one program that has come on a long way for example and now edits RAW images with its version of LR built into the suite. Alien skin is also more functional as a stand alone program.

If your are into things like compositing though, which is creeping into even portrait work (As vogue embarrassingly showed )then I have yet to see anything close to Photoshop.
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
12 February 2018 07:53
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from redbaron
No. I think fantastic images are created well before you get anywhere near your editing software. Yes I use the Photoshop/lightroom combo but that's because over the years I have learned those programs inside out. Even so I find I need them less and less now for the bulk of my work. While I may feel the tweaks I do make improve the result more, I suspect in many cases straight out of camera (as far as there is such a thing) would gain the approval of most people.

I do sense that the PS/LR platform has reached a plateau too. While I have the latest version I cannot think of any recent groundbreaking improvements. I'm pretty sure that is why they moved to a subscription model. You need a big new thing to drive the upgrade sales. I have lost contact with Corel's version but looking around there are now a lot of programs starting to snap at the heels of Adobe. Particularly if you do not make use of liquefy or the warp tool to 'tweak' those awkward bumps. For me that remains a big plus when shooting clients. No Mum wants a double chin in her baby session for example and posing alone is not always an answer. When doing model shoots though you can be selective about who you are shooting.

On1 is one program that has come on a long way for example and now edits RAW images with its version of LR built into the suite. Alien skin is also more functional as a stand alone program.

If your are into things like compositing though, which is creeping into even portrait work (As vogue embarrassingly showed )then I have yet to see anything close to Photoshop.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, thank you. 

I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Anthonygh is off-line
12 February 2018 08:08
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Get the NIK collection from Google...totally free....and well worth experimenting with. Ideal for a novice....ot the very experienced.

Not a substitute for PShop or similar....but can take a basic editing programme to new heights.

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
12 February 2018 10:38
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from anthonyh
Get the NIK collection from Google...totally free....and well worth experimenting with.

Google sold NIK to DxO months ago.

Standalone NIK can't open RAW files, only JPG or TIFF.

Anthonygh is off-line
13 February 2018 05:41
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from PHP_Photography
Google sold NIK to DxO months ago.

Standalone NIK can't open RAW files, only JPG or TIFF.

I use it exclusively to open and work with Photoshop (.psd) files. Although I don't use the standalone version....but would have thought it had similar capabilities.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 February 2018 11:38
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from anthonyh
I use it exclusively to open and work with Photoshop (.psd) files. Although I don't use the standalone version....but would have thought it had similar capabilities.

It won't have the benefits of Photoshop's colour management, nor ability to work on indivdual layers once you're half way through any editing process, so its usefulness is greatly diminished as a standalone package regardless of whether its own functions are similar (though obviously this depends on how advanced your workflow is and how much work you apply to images.)

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
14 February 2018 12:01
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

For those looking for something, anything other than Photoshop The OnOne suit has come on leaps and bounds the past two years. Works as a standalone including file browsing, Raw support, layers and plenty of presets to get you started. Id does not have any sort of liquify or warp avaiable but there is a healing brush and masking options.

On1 Photo Raw editing suite
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

18 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura
ad360photo AndiCallen chicimages djb1 duncanjames GGDP_Photography laurencejpower mauricesimagery mg michaelangelo peterh Roundhouse Stoker Thunder_Photos Tom60 Vinceb Willy_O