Studio closed - not sure what to do with clothes, shoes etc

PJA Media is off-line
28 October 2017 18:36
PJAMedia
Photographer
PJAMedia
Strathclyde
Glasgow

I stopped shooting professionally 2 years ago and moved to a smaller house (moving all my studio kit into the spare room - always thought I might want to get back to it, so held on to all my kit for far too long - until now - sold most of the camera kit off (few bits left but selling pretty steadily over last few weeks so it won't be long until its all shifted). Not quite sure to do with all of the soft items like clothing and soft furnishings I have here. They are just taking up toomuch room. The things I have:

2 rails of ladies clothes - all sorts from sexy to formal, plus a few kinky costumes
2 rails of lingerie - mostly size 8-10
20ish pairs of ladies shoes - mostly size 5 and 7 (a few size 4).
Loads of bedding - all laundered and crated into different colours
Cushions (loads) and curtains
Crate of candles
Lamps (all different styles/colours)
Vases (some with dried flower arrangments)
50ish paintings (mostly oil canvasses from 80cm x80cm upwards) - these are all stored in poster racks to make browsing easier
Bags of T shirts/tops, skirts, sports outfits, panties, bras (including about 100 bra/pants sets), Stockings, Tights, Socks - massive amount of stuff purchased over 10 years - on average any item being used on 2 shoots (some not worn at all) - and laundered before putting back onto their shelf.

All of this stuff is stored in dry, well aired environment - so all in great condition.

Wondered if any studio might be interested in them all as a job lot. Or maybe a model looking at setting up a studio. Its rather sad it all being stuck here without a use.

Thoughts/ideas would be awesome. Thanks guys, Paul

Paul J is off-line
30 October 2017 08:20
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
North Yorkshire
Selby / York

I had a very similar situation when i closed my studio room a couple of years back. Boxes & boxes of stuff all hijacking one of my spare bedrooms!

Bulk selling to a tog (or model) def does help, so it’s worth putting it on the forums of any site you’re a member of to announce that your stuff is available.

I also offered clothing in return for shoots (as an alternate to cash payment) & that got me a couple of really enjoyable shoots without having to get the old wallet out.

Other than that everything went onto a certain auction web site. Things sold in dribs & drabs, but most stuff did go. Obviously you have to be realistic about pricing, it’s as much about decluttering as it is about re-couping money.

You’ll probably make more money by selling the higher quality items individually, selling stuff in a bulk listing tends to only attract the bargain hunters looking for lots of items for a very low outlay, but you should also take into account how much time you’re prepared to devote to this, both in terms of personal hours (time packing / post office trips etc) & also how quickly you want the stuff gone.

Some stuff simply didn’t sell & i gave up on re-listing it, so some items went to charity. Xmas & new year are going to be a slow time of year to shift used items, so might be worthwhile starting on this soon rather than later.

You’ll need to familiarise yourself with the postage side of things. As a beginner i found myself not factoring in how expensive postage can be. I once sold an item for £8, took it to the post office & ended up paying £9 in delivery (ooops!).

When it comes to the royal mail, any package over an inch thick becomes classed as a parcel & the postage cost shoots up to £2.80 (well that’s what i used to pay). So if you’re selling an individual item of clothing, either be careful how you pack it or factor in the higher postage charge when naming your price.

Economy courier services such as Hermes, can be useful for the bigger but less valuable items but i found them to be quite unreliable at times.

I’d think twice about shipping the breakable items. Even though properly packed i found myself having to refund out of my own pocket when a courier smashed all the bulbs in a lighting set i’d sold.

Finally, an alternate could be general classified listings sites or even a car boot sale!
..... and your legs are too short, I want a fit bird from the Sunday Sport

Glasgow Photographer is online
31 October 2017 12:27
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

You have a price in mind for any of it? Sounds like far too much to take it all. Would probably clutter up my own studio. I do live in Glasgow if that helps.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

AGS is off-line
31 October 2017 20:39
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Still got all my studio props n stuff, comes in handy for parties, xmas, halloween etc

PJA Media is off-line
08 November 2017 06:58
PJAMedia
Photographer
PJAMedia
Strathclyde
Glasgow

Quote from GlasgowPhotographer
You have a price in mind for any of it? Sounds like far too much to take it all. Would probably clutter up my own studio. I do live in Glasgow if that helps.

If you don't mind I'll PM you? 

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa AmberBray Bluesapphire Courtneygiles00 RedXXX
ad360photo anochecer Auctioneer diphoto Distortedecho DM_Photography donaldmac eosfan frogley geoffmarchant GlasgowPhotographer hylander James7799 Leewheatley LGI markeos50d mikyspics moritz78 penfold10 redbaron rob_s57 Rscott360 siclews stephenmuddell steveh32 thelook Willjamieson Zuiko