Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 August 2017 02:20
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Anyone used one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-Macro-Flash-YN-14EX-Camera/dp/B00G3CEYM4/ref=pd_sim_107_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JVSYXSVREJ2ZW6HWDKVG

For the price it's seriously tempting, because while I'll an avid supporter of the sayings 'you get what you pay for' and 'buy cheap, buy twice', Canon's offering (MR-14EX2) is simply ridiculous at £500, and I'm finding it difficult to justify the expense for the odd macro shot I may do (their mk1 model was around the £300 mark when it was still being sold, and so this price hike for the mk2 also irks me).
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Ellesse Photography is onlineSilver Member
25 August 2017 05:14
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Oh yes, I'm a long time fan of Yongnuo. As well as Macro lights, I also use 3 Yongnuo 600ex-rt and 2 686ex-rt along with the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT (the 686 rt is new on the market and utilizes a long life lithium battery instead of AA's)

I had the Canon one on my older 100 macro, but when I changed lens's to the 100 L, I needed a 67mm adapter - Canon wanted £35 for one, so I sold the mr14ex and bought the Yongnuo variant - it came with all needed adapters. I've now sold that and use the Yongnuo YN24ex, a lot more versatile, but twice the price. The yongnuo works just as well the the more expensive Canon.

Only downside to macro light is the harsh lighting they produce (sure you knew that anyway), so you do need to "invent" some sort of diffuser for it. I used some old packing foam that came protecting the screen of a new TV I bought, along with some strips of silver reflective cardboard and the ubiquitous gaffer tape, worked a treat. A quick google will get you plenty of hits

HTH
Lez

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147034&sid=d7415b61bf0568b06cf4043be4d2c350

25 August 2017 06:20
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Thanks for the reply. For £77 I'll probably give it a go, £499 is way too steep even for a Canon one IMO (~£350 would have been palateable but beyond that it's getting a bit silly imo)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

25 August 2017 07:00
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

If you have a decent flashgun, you could also try the Kingfisher diffuser - it works very well indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVsxM89LX2M&t=13s

Instead of the PP sheets, I did it with silver mirror card, some translucent PP sheet, foam, and more gaffer tape.

25 August 2017 07:31
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I've got loads of flashguns (2x Canon EX-550, 7x Yongnuo manual flashes and a Profoto 'fashion' ringflash) but I've long wanted a TTL macro ringflash just as a simple 'grab and go' solution if I see the occasional exotic bug in the garden or something (nearly got a photo of a dragonfly sleeping the other day)

25 August 2017 07:42
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Once you start - it get's addictive lol

25 August 2017 07:43
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Yep, no moths in my wallet

34 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray BlueSapphire Czechbeauty Harleypage ustablegames
big123dave Blancho bob david1500 davkit Distortedecho ellessephotography fannmore flashysnapper ian201050 jas Ladiesman LGI MIB mlp modelboutique moritz78 musicman oro paulcase peterh simont stevegosh Steveh32 Stoker thelook theroundpeg Thunder_Photos WellandPhoto