Reminder Secure

Photography disaster

porsche is off-line
01 October 2016 20:29
porsche
Model
porsche
Strathclyde

Hey, so hoping someone can advise me on what I should do.
I hired a photographer to shoot at my wedding, I checked his site his reviews all seemed good so we proceeded.I outlined what my expectations were, who to take pics of, when , times required etc and he confirmed everything was fine.
4 weeks after my wedding and with no communication from him. I e-mailed to enquire what the lenght of time was to receive even a peek at some of the photos. "Someone" replied saying he went through a major op and was 6 weeks behind schedule only for our online gallery to be ready 2 days later.
127 photos supposedly edited, to pick from at £40 per 9x6 print. The edits looks undone, the lightning is awful, the position he has taken pics from are awful and he's made some attempt at in the momemt images which again are awful.
When I say awful I'm not worried about my best side etc I mean overall awful. I contacted him and all I got was he'd have a look next week and he thought they looked great. I've went from crying to anger and back again.
Is there anything I can do to perhaps regain some payment as he didn't provide a professional service or have I just been screwed?

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
02 October 2016 06:45
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from porsche
Hey, so hoping someone can advise me on what I should do.

Seek advice from those most qualified to offer it - your local CAB.
The service is free and they can put you in touch with those best placed to assist.
Bob

AGS is off-line
02 October 2016 08:02
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

There are a LOT of photographers doing weddings at low low cost these days, was it one of those? - the £40 per print is a bit of a red flag, with expectations in place and the consultation done, it should be all in and costed. In my experience, you get what you pay for, so if you chased the low cost, it's no wonder you got the service you did. I've seen people casting for weddings on TF too - I mean, what do they expect, ya know... best avoided, and more fool the people who actually try it on for size. There's a right and a wrong way to do everything.

The pics are probably awful because the photographer doesn't have the experience or the gear to handle all the challenges a wedding can present. They probably don't have the correct insurances either in order to keep the price down, or you could claim back on that when something like this happens. The right setup and professional service with everything in place is arranged costed, paid up, and informed months ahead of time. It usually involves rented top of the line gear to use if you don't already own it, which if course, adds to the price, part of the reason weddings cost big money - some lenses, if you buy, can be upwards of 2 grand each, camera bodies can be costly too, and you should have at least 2 camera bodies at a wedding - it's not uncommon for top people to have around 8 grand hanging from their necks.

There are lots of variables to consider too, including whether or not the clergy told him to sit in one place, or be able to dodge around... whether or not a flash could be used etc... really good lenses are best practice for dimly lit / mixed lighting, or even just 'million-candlelight' church environments. It all comes down to experience and gear, or as we photographers see it - investment. If a skill is invested in heavily, we want to be able to reap the rewards that that investment brings, not do weddings on tf or for "the 'valuable experience' the 'opportunity' provides."

Did you hire a professional, or a hobbyist?

I would avoid a slating on social media as it can come back on you if you're just firing off and don't have the actual facts to hand.

CAB and Police will just tell you it's a civil matter and to go see a solicitor. Do you have the photographers address? can you verify his story? - those would be the first steps to take imho. I hope the contact medium was business address or phone number rather than facebook or snapchat or you might well be SooL. We only have half a story here, told in anger, and with possibly unverified 'facts'. If you end up in small claims court, they will judge on what is considered 'reasonable' for the arrangements agreed to. If you have a contract, that would be really useful here.

If it helps, as a starting point, you can put his website in here:
https://who.is/

porsche is off-line
02 October 2016 09:53
porsche
Model
porsche
Strathclyde

Hi, firstly this wasn't posted in anger, I'm past that now.
The tog has been contacted and my disappointment and concerns made clear to him.
He advertises as a professional not only in person but via his website etc his portfolio showed good images and good reviews hence why I went for him.
The facts have been presented to here as they are to me by him.

He was informed what I wanted from his time and he agreed to be given sub standard images isn't acceptable.

The reason I posted here was to ask and seek advice not to slate him, bad publicity will come later if it remains unsettled.
Re: clergy etc he had freedom to move around and again at reception venue but chose to provide images with poor lightning, compostion and majority are of closed eyes and guests blurred out when they were focus.

I appreciate all advice given and will take note of the site you provided.
Thanks for taking the time to post it's appreciated

Keith Wells is off-lineSilver Member
02 October 2016 10:17
keithpics
Photographer

East Sussex
Brighton

Stating the obvious first, you can't retake your wedding photos. So, you are stuck with what you have. I think you should first take a deep breath and establish contact with this photographer in a (fairly) friendly manner to see what he is and is not willing to do to put things right. If he is willing to edit the images to as best a standard as he can, then you can maybe negotiate with him in terms of what you want and how much you're prepared to pay him. He may realise himself that he did a bad job and be feeling guilty anyway. Can the RAW files be obtained from him so you can get a good image editor to work on them? At this stage that would probably be the best outcome you can negotiate. If the images only exist as JPEGs they possibly could still be enhanced in terms of lighting etc.

If the friendly approach doesn't work, then I think contacting the CAB would be worth a go, even if you just phone their helpline. They will help with civil matters, and have helped me in the past. You can pursue a claim in the Small Claims Court up to a certain amount, and the staff there are said to be helpful and will give you all the advice you need. It may be the knowledge you are working towards the Small Claims Court hearing will persuade him to consider working with you to get the best images you can of your special day, and I think that is really what you need to work towards.

If the sums involved are above a certain level then it may be worth approaching a solicitor, and I'd suggest the CAB are the best people to advise you on that. You might also consider contacting your local Trading Standards office.

As others have said, wedding photography is a difficult business and best left to those who really know what they are doing. Too late for you, I know, but best wishes in getting at least a better outcome than you have at the moment.

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
02 October 2016 11:30
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Start by reading back through any contract that was signed to see what it states. Some may have a disputes procedure included If so you need to make sure you follow this to cover yourself. If it states for example you must notify him of issues in writing within a given time make sure you do so. An email may not be considered in writing for example.

I would also check to see if he is a member of any society such as the SWPP, BIPP, MPA.in case they are able to assist if needed.

Hopefully he will have insurance. If you are lucky he may also have Professional indemnity insurance. It is not that expensive. Ask the question and also state you require the name of his insurer, policy number etc much as you would for a car accident.

Finally in the hope he is covered, or at least prepared to make some reparations I would start thinking about what you are prepared to accept. The first thing I suspect is to try and get as many images back as possible and ideally in these circumstance the initial raw files. Sometimes a more experienced photographer can do a remarkably good job of recovering such a situation with head swaps, careful cropping and through a greater understanding of how photoshop can be used to overcome things like difficult lighting.

Also there is the option of having at least some shots recreated at his expense. They will never be of the day of course but they can still serve to recall it in years to come

As Bob said earlier make a apointment with the local Citizens advice. They will be able to guide you through the options much better than anyone on this forum
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

AGS is off-line
02 October 2016 12:21
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

"I appreciate all advice given and will take note of the site you provided.
Thanks for taking the time to post it's appreciated"

No worries, hope you get it sorted, the above 2 posts are sage advice also.

"bad publicity will come later if it remains unsettled"

I'd still tread carefully with this one as it might spark a counter claim. Deffo one to seek advice on before you post anything publicly.

Fingers crossed for you, issues like this are a nightmare on both sides of the camera, and not so easy to settle in a calm manner.

porsche is off-line
04 October 2016 10:00
porsche
Model
porsche
Strathclyde

Thanks,everyone for your advice and help. The issue has now been resolved ambically. Unfortunately I have no wedding images but a resolution was agreed to suit all parties.
Thanks again

07 October 2016 04:56
paule
Photographer

nightmare..

Paying per photo, £40 per 9x6, after the event they don't sound like the most professional of setups though you are unhappy with the photos you don't seem to be out of pocket, small mercy.

127 sounds a very small number of images, were they just covering ceremony then couple & group photos immediately after.. just hour or two?

You state the photos are awful, is this technically bad: blurry, under / over exposed, titled, heads chopped off, bad colours? Or is it more the feel of the photo? How do they compare to the photos on their website? (is it a real website or just a facebook page?... I regard facebook only with just a mobile number (no proper website, address, landline or persons name) to be immediate causes for concern.

Were the timings on the day correct, ie: they had the set amount of time to get the photos you'd both agreed? We can assume for you couple photos you were both ready and willing, even if the weather was poor and in the most unphotogenic venue with bad lighting.. I'd have thought a professional would have been able to create at least decent couple portraits..

I'm sure you asked to see any photos they'd taken previously at the venue.. and what they did if the weather was bad.. so both you and they should have been confident, should the worst weather happen you'd have some nice couple photos..

Make sure you, your guests, the venue were not the cause of any issues: timing, availability, looking at the camera (group photos esp) when requested etc.. after you've confirmed you did your best, you can be confident the photographer has really let you down..

I really hope you can salvage some memories from your wedding day and reach an amicable resolution..

** note for other brides, always, always.. look at several complete weddings, in albums, not just a few of their selected images.. anyone can steal images from the web & post them as theirs so printed photos & albums esp are an essential guide to judge suitability & ability.. & visit them (not them come to you) if possible.

Profile Pictures is off-line
17 October 2016 20:34
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

How much did you pay this person? I'm intrigued since what you've been provided is shoddy sounding and I can get prints at Loxley in that size for around £3. Did you do it on the cheap?

14 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
missminiskirt Trinalee
djb1 Don_Dark duncanjames fannmore GerryS2 jake_istvan JohnDentonPhoto Lumen Paz photomart Rscott360 Stevew1