Youngie is off-lineSilver Member
16 July 2016 04:06
Youngie
Photographer

County Durham
Darlington

Hi all..

FirSt time I've posted so forgive me..

I'm wondering which is the best budget portrait lense. Since I'm not super rich and pennies need to stretch..
I do feel that I could use something different, that gives me a bit more range maybe..

I'm shooting with a 50mm 1.8 and the kit lense.. body is 50d..

Sounds all dated.. but it does the job for me at present..

Many thanks

Steve

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
16 July 2016 05:51
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

May help to give better advice if you could indicate your budget.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
16 July 2016 08:19
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The 50mm f1.8 is the best portrait lens on a budget with a crop sensor.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

16 July 2016 17:55
Youngie
Photographer

County Durham
Darlington

Ops sorry.. still very new to forums..

I might he able to stretch to £120.. and I agree 50mm is good but like I said it does get very up close and personal for some

Profile Pictures is off-line
16 July 2016 18:32
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

85 1.8 is the next step probably if you feel close with a 50mm. Aside from fringing, its pretty good.

16 July 2016 19:43
skphoto
Photographer

85mm 1.8 is a cracking lens that is definitely a step up!

Ellesse Photography is off-lineSilver Member
16 July 2016 20:03
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Edinburgh
Edinburgh

Quote from profilepictures
85 1.8 is the next step probably if you feel close with a 50mm. Aside from fringing, its pretty good.

Agree, the 85 f1.8 is pretty good value - there is also the 100mm f2 to consider as well.  However, both of these would be out of your budget, even second hand.  As a stop-gap, you may wish to look at something like the ef-s 55-250mm f4-5.6, which should be available s/h within budget.  Probably not the best lens, and not as versatile due to larger apertures, but may get you by for the time being.

17 July 2016 04:24
Youngie
Photographer

County Durham
Darlington

Cheers people.. I'll have a look and let you all know..

In the meantime I need to start updating images and get more shoot time in...

Practice practice practice..

Lol

exuphoto is off-line
17 July 2016 05:26
exuphoto
Photographer

London

Conventinally, I'd say that the 85mm f1.8 would be the next step for portraits...
... But if you feel that the 50mm is getting 'too close' on your crop sensor, then it won't do you good. So my recommendation would be -
1. Work on your interpersonal skills (not saying yours aren't good, only that it tends to dictate outcome more than the lens you pick...)
2. Have a look at the 35mm or even 24mm - that'll give you some more space in the frame

Anthonygh is off-line
17 July 2016 06:45
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

An old but well regarded lens is the 24 - 85mm USM. I have some fairly good lenses including L lenses.....but I am not 'disappointed' when I use this particular lens....which I have used on a crop and FF body.

Alongside that and the same vintage....there is the 28 - 105mm MK2 (getting the Mk2 version is important). I have that lens and it is good....not sure why I don't use it more often come to think of it....will dig it out later!!

I haven't checked their eBay prices recently.....but they were around the £100 mark a couple of years back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-24-85mm-f-3-5-4-5-USM-/122025503920?hash=item1c69496cb0:g:x2IAAOSwl-FXNZyB

19 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
davenport dillon1993 pinklilly
cgwebster cps dby47 diphoto Finallyhere guitarman jdunvillephotography Ladiesman mikebee philippahh stevegosh studio17 Thunder_Photos two_stops Visions11 xcellent