Reminder Secure

New models - no experience - Professional Status - Fashion only - Paid only?

Roger Vaughan is off-line
21 June 2016 09:22
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
Warwickshire
Rugby

Back in the 80's I met a pretty young girl who wanted to model. She went down to London and walked into the Models One agency. They took one look at her and sent her to Beverley Goodway. A few days later she was on Page 3. No experience, her first time in front of the camera. Yes some girls expect far too much.
Roger Vaughan

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
21 June 2016 09:33
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from BigEarsPix
Back in the 80's I met a pretty young girl who wanted to model. She went down to London and walked into the Models One agency.

T'internet killed that. These days few wannabe models seem to be prepared to do anything much except upload a few selfies to the net and then post a casting call requesting a fistful of tenners... and unfortunately there appear to be even more hobbyist 'togs' willing to empty their wallet for these girls in the hope they'll get a reminder of what their missus used to look like back when they were courting.
Bob

Pentti Pohjonen is off-lineSilver Member
21 June 2016 11:35
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
Finland
VAASA

Quote from StreetModel
How do you feel about new models coming on a site asking for money when they have no experience, no portfolio and have never modelled before?

Only thing that really matters is the looks, if they have it then they will get paid.

21 June 2016 12:30
wiltshiretog
Photographer

In my experience i have no problem paying newbie models,i won't offer them the top rates,but i am more than happy to pay them for their time,in my day job i started at the bottom,and i certainly didn't do it for free,so why should people expect model's to shoot for free??Sometimes its nice to work with a new model,a blank canvas so to say,it gives you a chance to pass on some knowledge of things you have learned,and they are more than likely not going to disagree,but hopefully listen,and take that on board,and carry it on..
Recently i have had more trouble with experienced models,pushing their rates up and up,they will eventually price themselves out of the market,i would hazard a guess that it is most likely hobby togs and amateurs that are paying their rent.
If a new model has a very good look about her and can take direction,and put what i am suggesting into creating the image i am after,then i will always pay them,we all start somewhere,did you learn your real job for free??
It's all in the detail

Paul Jones is off-line
22 June 2016 16:24
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from PHP_Photography
Only thing that really matters is the looks, if they have it then they will get paid.

This sums it up for me ^^^^^

Some of my best shoots have been with brand new 'models' who had zero experience and who gave me a blank canvas to work with.

Best regards
Paul

www.PaulJones.org

Anthonygh is off-line
02 July 2016 20:36
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Question.....did Kate Moss start by doing the (then) equivalent of TF shoots? I don't know for sure....but I believe she did.

Probably not many.....

FirstLifePhotography is off-line
03 July 2016 01:15
FirstLifePhotography
Photographer
FirstLifePhotography
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from Bob
T'internet killed that. These days few wannabe models seem to be prepared to do anything much except upload a few selfies to the net and then post a casting call requesting a fistful of tenners... and unfortunately there appear to be even more hobbyist 'togs' willing to empty their wallet for these girls in the hope they'll get a reminder of what their missus used to look like back when they were courting.

Bob

Shakes head, sadly my wife never looked like a page 3 model!

But seriously, I do understand the OP, certainly some 'models' do have high expectations when they start. However, many 'photographers' have a high opinion of themselves, but nothing in their portfolio to back it up!

Personally, if a model has a look I can work with, or is adding a genre to my portfolio, I'm happy to pay.

Jaw Imaging is off-lineSilver Member
03 July 2016 02:15
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
Nottinghamshire
Nottingham

Having read all the reply's, I believe the confusion lay in the word "models".

Before digital, photography consisted of only negative comments.

AGS is off-line
03 July 2016 11:47
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Quote from Two_stops
Having read all the reply's, I believe the confusion lay in the word "models".

Bingo... many are camgirls looking to add another income stream and if possible, a clingy sugar-daddy (see Amazon wishlist.) Many are not, and never will be 'models' in the industry sense of the word... I say industry because well, anyone can model pretty much anything, the look accepted by Commercial Agencies is a very different thing... though there are niche's to be found and exploited.

Many 'models' call them... Photographers.

Personally I have "I am not a doormat" tattooed on the inside of my eyelids, and my work standards mean I don't do much on here.

As long as people are enjoying what they are doing, I don't see it as a problem though - happy is happy, and you do what makes you happy... some people remember, pay to be abused and trodden on, some even like their balls kicking by a bird in stilletto's - so there's something for everyone.

When you die though... remember to leave instruction in your will for the hard drive to be put in your cremation coffin, and you're golden; otherwise it could pop up on antiques roadshow 2236; a futuristic "what the butler saw".

diipii is off-line
06 July 2016 03:28
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Quote from StreetModel
Am I being overly critical, or do some models come on here with totally unrealistic ideas of what to expect?

Models and photographers both. These sites are a weird mixture of unrealistic ambition and non relevance to the real world. A place where you can fantasize and play without the risk of financial disaster or a ruined reputation. A dream world you can dip into whenever you want.
Nobody will get rich here or find a sprinboard to fame, it all happens on a computer screen and in your imaginations.
It only happens all the time.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
carinasl Just_janine kamazoo missminiskirt PrettyDiamond RISelene rob452 Zhiying
andrewmoon beaverray bob22 Dave@studio99 Don_Dark fannmore frankpht James7799 Jse_photography Manchestertog1 photomart quercus rscott360