Canvas Recommendation!

This thread is being watched by 1 person
AGS is off-line
02 April 2016 02:45
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Things rarely stay on topic on forums, but I like to think we can still look out for each other from time to time.

John Enger is off-line
02 April 2016 05:10
JohnEnger
Photographer
JohnEnger
Norway
Nannestad

If that's how you see thos, sure!

AGS is off-line
02 April 2016 09:06
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Fair enough... there's a pit over there, go fall in it lol.

Paul Riddell is off-line
04 April 2016 06:49
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Red Baron describes an excellent snippet of professional life here.

Its a fantastic business reality lesson that any up and coming photographer should heed.

1. If you shoot for a day, its never a day. Its often two or more and therefore you need to charge for 2 or more days money. Charging rates of low rates of £100.00 a day actually means £50.00 a day, which means £6.25 an hour.

Below minimum wage.

You need to charge for a good couple of hours work + editing time + packaging + time spent packaging and going to the post office etc + of course your markup on the actual canvas itself.

2. Customers can see the quality difference. My biggest mistake ever in my photography career and my one regret was investing lots of money and time in top quality printers, inks, papers, calibration, coatings.

It took up way, way too much of my time printing, had loads of rejects I had to throw away costing me money and worse customers complained, saying it looks like its been printed on a inkjet (well it had) Even with a spot on image, they still complained.

Since then I dropped the lot and send it too a proper pro lab, no complaints, instead its people amazed at the quality - satisfied customers.

Since then I've tried to save money by going to cheaper printers, the sort that advertise everywhere on the internet and don't exclusively cater for professionals. Very mixed results, lots of wasted time. Lots of rejects, complaints, even when I have passed the images across to clients, they of course look OK, but really lack the quality and wow factor of a pro printer.

Ultimately this did not help my reputation and has since been abandoned.

www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura Just_janine Katielouxox mg21 Michelledefeo1 Winterlilly
BOBREEVES cgwebster ChrisD claypaws cliffc couchpotato dirkus djb1 duncanjames Fashionphotography Hairflicks hfordtom jonasbee KDP keltica KStoneburg Ladiesman noggy1930 oldbloke pcmphotography rod_m99 rscott360 Steveh32 zzdigital