HowardJ is off-line
04 March 2016 14:06
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from xtiggerx
And in reply to HowardJ..i DONT want windows 10 so why would that put me in my comfort zone....again did you read my first post?...I commented about getting back on track cause two photographers were conversing about a different subjct that i posted about which seems to happen alot.....

I just read a post entered in photographers forum about same question i was searching answers for,to which one photographer has answered very well to,giving lots great information....

You'll have to use Boot camp and have dual boot machine, so you can choose to run Windows or Mac OS. You will however be stuck with the lack of user upgrade ability and the expensive upgrade options. You'd get an equivalent Windows PC for less money and it would have a longer life as you'd be able to user upgrade it.

However if you've fallen in love with the Mac hardware then go for it. It's your money...

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
06 March 2016 04:19
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Thanks to everyones input,good or not so good...depending on how your mind set is...Just to answer the apple mac question..i remember years back about apple computers,i thought they had transformed into Mac,am i wrong?....The thoughts now are to look into macbook pro...or the like...again thanks for all the input

HowardJ is off-line
06 March 2016 04:35
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from xtiggerx
Thanks to everyones input,good or not so good...depending on how your mind set is...Just to answer the apple mac question..i remember years back about apple computers,i thought they had transformed into Mac,am i wrong?....The thoughts now are to look into macbook pro...or the like...again thanks for all the input

Apple is the company. The MacIntosh was one of their computer product lines. The Macintosh got abbreviated to the Mac and now they have a number of different types of Mac computers that they sell. Apple is still the company that designs and sells them.

Macbook pro has the same "features" of soldered in memory and issues upgrading hard drives. See

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/07/26/is-it-possible-to-upgrade-a-macbook-pro/

AGS is off-line
06 March 2016 21:51
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

That came (in part) from the early days, Amiga (a sort of Mac cousin) had non-soldered in chips with used to work lose with the heat. I can't tell you how unnerving it is to hold your computer 2ft above a desk... and drop it to reseat the chips without opening the case lol. Araldite was usually the answer lol. Coolers, bracers, clips and heatsinks on everything now lol.

HowardJ is off-line
07 March 2016 03:19
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from AndyGStudios
That came (in part) from the early days, Amiga (a sort of Mac cousin) had non-soldered in chips with used to work lose with the heat. I can't tell you how unnerving it is to hold your computer 2ft above a desk... and drop it to reseat the chips without opening the case lol. Araldite was usually the answer lol. Coolers, bracers, clips and heatsinks on everything now lol.

Yep, ruggedised kit usually has soldered in RAM, but it means it's not upgradeable, so you have to pay more initially for memory from apple.

Sadly I'm from the generation who used to experience RAM pack wobble on their ZX 81s and used to stick paper or cushions of rubber under it.

AGS is off-line
07 March 2016 04:27
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

That's my gen... sez he with a c64 hooked up to the internet via wifi cart lol.

Nick Skinner is off-line
07 March 2016 07:02
snapper47
Photographer

West Sussex
Horsham

I am in the same boat as you, undecided whether to buy a i-Mac to supplement my MacBook Pro, or add another MacBook Pro as mine is now 6 years old. I have owned virtually every Apple laptop since the 165C which have all performed flawlessly and I suspect like you have no interest in building, designing, or modifying computers on any platform. Just like buying cars I expect them to work for me straight out of the box and don't immediately think of adding big bore exhausts or wings etc, for those who wish to I have no scorn, its there thing just not mine. My hard drive failed on my MacBook Pro the other day, I called a local Apple Store, made an appointment for that afternoon. They checked it and found it was failing ( I know why and have to admit it was my fault!) Said they could replace it an hour, I agreed, went for a coffee and 35 minutes later they called and said it was ready. Popped back, gave them a little over £100 and returned home. I use Code 42's crashplan as security backup and they were brilliant in talking me through the reinstall procedure, and my Mac was soon just as it was. My only observation are that the MacBook Pro is inferior to my needs to the previous G4, with that model I could carry a spare battery and just change it in a second which was useful for my work. Apple of course are moving more and more towards their i-phone product as their main earner and maybe in years to come the laptop, well all laptops will be museum pieces but their profits still look pretty healthy to me. No I could not care a toss that it has an apple on the lid, it works well, is ultra reliable and the beauty of having the hardware and most of the software i use from one source is invaluable to me personally. Good luck with your choice, I agree its not so easy.

AGS is off-line
07 March 2016 15:49
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Even harder now... depending how you're used to getting your software.

http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/2016/03/new-os-x-ransomware-keranger-infected-transmission-bittorrent-client-installer/

The bad guys are catching up. Bear this in mind because software isn't as easy to come by as it is on a pc, and you'll REALLY feel it when you need that one piece of essential wares and your pocket can't stretch to it.

raw and the cooked is off-line
08 March 2016 05:49
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

Despite now using a 36 million pixel dslr, and shooting hd video. my top spec 2012 macbook pro is still cutting the mustard! Though I did replace the hard drive with an SSD.....

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 March 2016 06:34
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Rawandthecooked
Despite now using a 36 million pixel dslr, and shooting hd video. my top spec 2012 macbook pro is still cutting the mustard! Though I did replace the hard drive with an SSD.....

Video isn't particularly demanding on most systems, even with mechanical hard drives and as long as you've got decentish amounts of RAM there's no reason why it shouldn't work as photo editing is pretty much only constrained by that .
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

1 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
rscott360