Dave Beasley is off-line
29 February 2016 16:32
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Hi all,

Later this year I am going on an extended holiday and will not be taking a laptop, however I would like to find a way of copying a days worth of Raw shooting onto a portable HDD at the end of each day, rather than fill a card and put it away until I get home. I can shoot on both CF and/or SD card and will have an iPad, card reader, portable HDD with me.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this - I don't mind buying some other small piece of hardware if required.

Dave

HowardJ is off-line
01 March 2016 02:16
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Epson p7000 viewer

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 March 2016 02:24
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

They used to do portable HDDs that had CF/SD slots in them for exactly this sort of thing but it seems the market for them died a death. I thought they were a pretty neat idea, especially as most had little screens on them to review images but they obviously didn't sell.

That said, it seems WD do a drive called "My Passport Wireless" which has an SD slot for in-the-field backup and it's battery powered so may be worth a look. The only danger is that you're still putting all your eggs in one basket (unless you can occasionally borrow a PC on your travels to make the odd transfer to a second HDD).

Alternatively a Windows-based tablet with USB ports, rather than an iPad would be another solution

If you've got decent internet a cloud-based backup or transfer to a home-based NAS that's left on 24/7 maybe an option.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

AlletunYL is off-line
01 March 2016 04:31
AlletunYL
Photographer

London

The Atomos Ninja might work for you

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 March 2016 04:59
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from HowardJ
Epson p7000 viewer

Those are around 7 years old though, and 160GB isn't much in the way of storage nowadays.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Jones is off-line
01 March 2016 16:45
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Lancashire
Wigan

Quote from RedChecker
They used to do portable HDDs that had CF/SD slots in them for exactly this sort of thing but it seems the market for them died a death. I thought they were a pretty neat idea, especially as most had little screens on them to review images but they obviously didn't sell.

FlashTrax.

I still have one in the loft. Haven't used it for years....

Cheers
Paul

www.PaulJones.org (Glamour / Portraits / NSFW)

HowardJ is off-line
01 March 2016 17:59
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from RedChecker
Those are around 7 years old though, and 160GB isn't much in the way of storage nowadays.

Indeed they are and I have 3 of them. All still going strong. The P7000 uses a SATA interface, so you can replace the hard drive with larger capacity ones.

HowardJ is off-line
01 March 2016 18:04
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Another alternative is an Android tablet and one of the OTG card readers plugged into the mini USB port. You may need to download an app to be able to access the card on the OTG adapter.

I use the Nexus Media Importer which lets you copy or move files between media.

I have an OTG adapter and cheaper Tesco Hudl which I can read SD and CF cards on without any problems. You could take some micro SD cards with you and backup to them. The Hudl supports up to a 32 GB micro SD card and they're tiny, so you could backup a fair bit if you had a lot of them. The micro SD cards are pretty cheap on Amazon.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
02 March 2016 02:40
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

If you're feeling geeky, you could pick up a Raspberry Pi computer and a miniature keyboard. If you're in a hotel or guesthouse you should be able to hook it up to the in room TV using hdmi- effectively that gives you a desktop computer experience from a £30 device that's the size of a deck of cards.

They're not as powerful as a regular desktop, but fine for copying files around.

Fluffypup is off-line
05 March 2016 16:35
Fluffypup
Photographer

Nottinghamshire

Try a Kingston wireless - size of a fag packet and will do what you want. Sd slot, usb slot, powered off its own battery. Controlled by an app off your phone as it creates its own mini wifi

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Just_Janine mandymack
Andrew88 ATDIMAGES cps evopro Gaudinio grahamsphotography paletesdeluz rscott360