ef24-70 f2.8L ii canon or tamron

Darrin Henry Photography is off-lineSilver Member
16 February 2016 05:14
darrinhenry
Photographer
darrinhenry
London
London

Was only having a similar conversation with someone yesterday and then saw your post this morning - I have the Canon and it's hands down the best lens in my bag. I take it everywhere and would be lost without it. The wide-angle capability for the street photography I do is unbeatable IMHO, but I also use it in the studio, events etc. It's a hefty price tag though so I guess it depends very much on your own budget and the return it is likely to bring. I use a combination of Canon and Sigma lenses which work for my own purposes. Good luck with choosing
Darrin Henry Photography

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
18 February 2016 05:14
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

yes, definitely the tamron version of this for me, as inclusion of the vc for the price is a no-brainer,

and although most of it's use will be in a studio-type environment, if i do any handheld video snapping

i'd really appreciate the vc, outside still snaps too !

thanks everyone for all your input. this will also give me a chance to support a local shop

as i rarely do these days, which in my mind is another plus.

all the best to you all, and thanks for all your input. it's helped (but only after the wine :-) )

CHEERS alex p.s. now where that wine gone... oh, maybe a bit too early in the day, never before 10a.m.

Glasgow Photographer is off-line
18 February 2016 07:58
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

I have an older Canon 24-70 2.8L (still have it) and bought the Tamron. I also own the 25-105L F4. The difference is the Tamron has IS which the Canon 24-70 lacks. If you do any sort of video work then this is quite a big deal, equally any low light work and able to hand hold better at the slower shutter speeds is a bonus.

Never had a problem with the Tamron and the results are as good as any of my Canon lenses. Then again I am not measuring it with a microscope - human eyeball Mkl looks good to me.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

Malcolm Couzens is off-line
19 February 2016 10:18
malcolmc
Photographer

Shropshire
Telford

You may want to take look at the IS capabilities of the Tamron if that's of relevance to you. I can handhold down to one second or thereabouts with the Tamron. Optically the Tamron lacks a teeny bit of micro contrast but has no problems with CA or edge sharpness as far as I can see.

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
butt3rflyxxx
john_at_tina_spice Wildcanyon woody