Nik Collection

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
22 January 2016 13:28
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Hi All
Do any off you use the Nik collection when your editing your photos please? Is it a good plug in to use please for editing?

Thanks
Brian

Rupert Rudd is off-line
23 January 2016 01:37
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
East Yorkshire
Hull

I find the SilverEffex (Black and white conversion), and Viveza (spot brightening) very very useful. THe HDR etc I have less call for.  Used with Photoshop CC. No regret at spending the money on NIK.
A little help is worth a lot of sympathy.

AGS is off-line
23 January 2016 07:42
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Works for me, but like any filter it's easily overused if you're not careful.

Paul Riddell is off-line
25 January 2016 05:26
riddell
Photographer
riddell
Hertfordshire
berkhamsted

Quote from AndyGStudios
Works for me, but like any filter it's easily overused if you're not careful.

+1

I used to use Niks filters a lot when I wasn't such a good photographer, they are good at giving a boost to an otherwise dull photo, but then as you progress with photography you start to realise just how amateur a route it is and that you should shoot right in the first place and then apply individual processing to that image.

www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Profile Pictures is off-line
27 January 2016 18:53
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Oh dear.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
28 January 2016 02:28
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

LOL!
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

AGS is off-line
29 January 2016 01:13
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

A lot depends what you want to achieve, sometimes a filter can save you hours of processing... a daguerreotype effect for example. Not necessarily Nik, there are loads. I can understand the purist viewpoint, and thats great for you, in business, time is money, and if the customer is happy, that's all that counts. If you can do 10 in a day instead of one, thats great for the ole pocket. For those without thousands to spend on expensive lenses, you can emulate the characteristics of one using layer masks... and filters. Again, less is more, don't overdo it. Filters have their place, just don't overdo it. another filter would for example be the raw output sharpener. filters are easily dissed, mostly by those who run them at 100%.

When you do frequency seps, guess what, ya, it's a high pass filter.
Noise reduction function, yup, it's a filter...

Some of the Nik ones are amazing, others, not so much, on their own, but in combination with other NJik, or other companies filters - you can do some really clever stuff. Try doing a droste effect without the filter for that one. Its good to be purist, but nobody should discount the possibilities on offer for creativity atop a base photograph.

I rest my case m'lud.

John McNairn is off-line
29 January 2016 09:33
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
Tayside
Dundee

I use the Nic Collection....mostly SilverFx for all B&W, and the odd occasion ColourFx and HDR for landscapes. With most plugins though..less is more.
Erica Von Stein - jealousy does manky things to people.

Brian Southam Photography is off-line
29 January 2016 12:27
Brian2008
Photographer

Buckinghamshire
High Wycombe

Tank you al for the feed back great help!

Best regards
Brian

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin Malemod
cliffc Dphphotography FirstLifePhotography john_at_tina_spice JohnDentonPhoto Pictureimage redtail Steveh32 woody zzdigital