Reminder Secure

Asking for help with travel when asked to do a TFCD shoot

09 January 2016 06:16
Dkphotographics
Photographer

I have recently been asked todo a TFCD shoot with a model who lives 50 miles or so from me.
It seems that it is ok for models to request help with travel if they come to a photographer and I always offer to pay half the travel cost.
on this occasion I was asked to do a TF shoot with a model at my house and I offered to pay half the travel cost.
The model then claimed she could not travel and would I be able to go to her?
Not a problem was my reply if you are able to cover half my travel?

Was I unreasonable with my request? after all it works both ways doesn't it?

Profile Pictures is off-line
09 January 2016 06:48
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

If you cant be bothered to cover a few quid in petrol for a TF, you should probably give the whole shooting match a miss.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 January 2016 06:56
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from profilepictures
If you cant be bothered to cover a few quid in petrol for a TF, you should probably give the whole shooting match a miss.

When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
09 January 2016 06:57
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

well done...ANOTHER constructive reply from Profilepictures..i really shouldnt be suprised should i....oops here comes a barrage of comments my way ...but hey ho...

In reply to forum post...if i was to travel 50 miles to pick up and return a model id suggest shooting images for my portfolio/projects/ideas etc-to which she doesnt get copies...think thats reasonable....

AGS is off-line
09 January 2016 07:20
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Quote from Dkphotographics

You asked a model to pay for something... This will not end well lol Wake up chap, the market is not weighted in the photographers favour right now, we have to pay for, well, pretty much everything and hope we don't get screwed over with a no show. Working with better known models with a good track record helps... which usually means even more cash unless your work is to pretty much agency standard.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 January 2016 07:26
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from AndyGStudios
the market is not weighted in the photographers favour right now, we have to pay for, well, pretty much everything and hope we don't get screwed over with a no show.

In fairness, the photographer pretty much always gets the most out of it.  They retain the copyright, pretty much control what & how they shoot, get all the images rather than just a handful etc. etc.

Driving there (and arguably massively reducing the likelihood of a no-show) to get her is, in the whole scheme of things, a small price to pay.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

AGS is off-line
09 January 2016 07:33
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

That used to be the case, sites like 500px now require to see a model release before you can sell the images on there, other sites are following suit - so even with the copyright theres not a lot you can do with them, and the world gets smaller... and it's up to the model of course, if the choose to sign that release, so they are in charge and hold a lot of the cards. If the model initiates the session they retain the right to control their image too.

Youre right about the image retention, nature of the beast... some people will provide all images then and there, some will allow the model to choose her images from a contact sheet (this is how I do it) others will hope the model trusts their eye. The downside for the most part is that standard tf means portfolio use only and rights to the photographer as per the CDPA.

No show can be a lot of things though it does sound limited if you drive to the model. Heavy night on the tiles ? you arrive having just woken her up, she's got a migraine, maybe she's in a mess, might even be still dressed, maybe she forgot, went out, or just doesn't feel like it today and doesn't answer the door. But I agree, driving there does seem the best way to avoid a no-show.

Communication is everything. And driving there a small price to pay when you consider what half of the models charge these days. Market forces will decide if people pay it however. Imho internet modeling is dying in favour of webcamming, and apathy seems to be everywhere. Tf weddings appear now, even companies are getting in on it asking for commercial TF in exchange for 'exposure'.

If you get offered TF, and she's worth it - yes, pay the petrol and go to her. Make sure everyone is on the same page though and contact on the day for sure before you set off.

Alan Johnson is off-line
09 January 2016 07:43
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

Quote from Dkphotographics

I have recently been asked todo a TFCD shoot with a model who lives 50 miles or so from me.
It seems that it is ok for models to request help with travel if they come to a photographer and I always offer to pay half the travel cost.
on this occasion I was asked to do a TF shoot with a model at my house and I offered to pay half the travel cost.

I seldom do any TF, I prefer to either pay in cash or a mix of cash and images,  so am not the best placed to answer your question.

That said, if I put myself in that sort of scenario, I would probably weigh it up like this:
Do I want to do the shoot with this model?
If so, is it worth paying £10 or so on fuel?

The original aim of TF was for both parties to benefit from the resulting images.  So, if I would benefit from them an extra £10ish,  isn't going to stop me travelling to the model.  If I felt it wasn't worth that,  then I probably shouldn't be doing the shoot in the first place.
My view about any shoot, - what value does it have?  If the actual cost is equal to or less than the value I assign it,  then I'll do it.  If not,  then I won't.
That applies whether I approach the model or vice versa.  Who pays what percentage of the total cost isn't really of any interest.  as long as I feel the cost to me is worth it,  then I'm happy.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

AGS is off-line
09 January 2016 07:45
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Alan you said that so much better than me
100% nail meet hammer.

09 January 2016 07:48
Dkphotographics
Photographer

Well as usual with this type of question everyone looses sight of the original question and go off on different tangents.

this was not about avoiding no shows or copyrights or amount of photos given or even me not wanting to pay travel.

As stated when I offer TF and Paid I always offer to pay either half the travel for TF and all travel for paid.

what I said was:
I was asked to do a TF shoot with a model at my house and I offered to pay half the travel cost.

2 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Antz Thunder_Photos