Reminder Secure

That most painful of emails to answer...

Havoc is off-line
05 January 2016 06:37
Havocphotography
Photographer
Havocphotography
East Sussex
Brighton

"could you tell me why?" (from a model, in relation to a thank you, but no, casting application).

And therein lies a minefield.

05 January 2016 07:36
paule
Photographer

You can be honest without being brutal or rude..

- Tell them why you chose someone else.
- Let them know your thoughts on what would have improved their chances, in your eyes, for the casting.

It can be an almost undesirable think that makes you choose A before B.. I often find it's just a look in one portfolio photo that can swing a decision and its almost always in a facial expression over, anything else.

Being able to pull a really convincing expression full of an emotion is top draw, imho.

Just give some constructive, positive feedback..

Havoc is off-line
05 January 2016 08:11
Havocphotography
Photographer
Havocphotography
East Sussex
Brighton

Yeah I thought about it and was going to try this even though to be quite frank, the real reasons would have been moderately... brutal. But she's blocked me, haha. Oh welL! I guess she changed her mind eh?!

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
05 January 2016 10:22
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from Havocphotography
she's blocked me

Congratulations!
I find that usually the least suitable applicants tend to be the ones who take even an overly polite rejection badly, so you may well have just had a very close shave.
Bob

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
05 January 2016 10:52
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from paule
You can be honest without being brutal or rude

Where's the fun in that?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Rich H is off-lineGold Member
05 January 2016 12:39
digitalmood
Photographer
digitalmood
South Yorkshire
Barnsley

......."its because of those blue faces in your feedback section" lol
www.digitalmood.co.uk

05 January 2016 12:54
paule
Photographer

she's blocked me, haha. Oh welL! I guess she changed her mind eh?!

Her loss..

*like your 500px stuff..

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
09 January 2016 10:07
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

"could you tell me why?" (from a model, in relation to a thank you, but no, casting application). And therein lies a minefield.

I don't see it as a minefield.

A straightforward factual answer is fine when the reason is simple and objective. For example: "your dress size/age/height is outside the range that we need for this shoot". Or "unfortunately the images you have available didn't give me a clear enough indication of your appearance for me to be able to make a casting decision. If you have new images t hat you'd like to show me at some point I'll be happy to reconsider you for a future shoot". "This project needs a model with longer hair. If in the future you grow your hair long, I'll be happy to consider you for a shoot". 

If the reason isn't objective enough to be expressed that way, you can give a more general reply while still being factual, such as "unfortunately your look doesn't fit the style I'm looking for for this shoot". Or (if applicable) "unfortunately the client didn't select you for this shoot".

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

AGS is off-line
09 January 2016 21:55
AndyGStudios
Photographer

West Yorkshire
Wakefield

Quote from digitalmood
......."its because of those blue faces in your feedback section" lol

That would cover it... also, they don't worry about telling you, why worry about telling them, they are professionals, they can handle it... most people understand what preferences are. That or they were unsuitable in the first place but responded anyway. you don't have to be brutal or insulting - just honest... if they can't handle your truth or opinion without chucking a mental benoit, they shouldn't be modelling.

... but ya, mostly the blue faces lol

11 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alibama ryansd
Jpdo kaz58 MIB redbaron redtail rscott360 stueyuk tony_hetherington tucker217