Rail travel

Kevin Wilson is off-lineSilver Member
10 December 2015 06:31
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

What a truly wonderful rail service we have in UK  in 21st centuary.

Attempted to arrange a booking with a model based in Skegness approx' 60 miles from Kings Lynn [ my base ] . Would you believe [ have not kept details ] however a return journey by train or coach is not possible in one day.

Today looking to book a model from Northampton 63 mile journey. Details for train journey . Duration 3 hrs 51 minutes . Cost £ 60-70 return ?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 December 2015 07:13
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

My sister lives in Lynn and the trains pretty much only run to/from London from what she says (and not even to Norwich).

Rather than waste £billions on HS2 I'd rather see that money go into lines for places like that, connecting the harder to reach places with nearby towns. Not as much money in it I guess, or at the very least... not as easy to explain the investment.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Kevin Wilson is off-lineSilver Member
10 December 2015 07:47
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Yes only one line out of Kings Lynn to Kings Cross.
The Lynn to Norwich line although at the time always seemed to be very well used went under the Beeching cull .

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 December 2015 08:11
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

The Lynn to Hunstanton line has also for many years made sense to re-open (judging by summer/weekend traffic jams) if it weren't for the fact they rapidly built over the lines during the cull also.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
10 December 2015 09:09
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from kerandastudio2
Attempted to arrange a booking with a model based in Skegness approx' 60 miles from Kings Lynn [ my base ]. Would you believe [ have not kept details ] however a return journey by train or coach is not possible in one day.

I wouldn't believe it, as there are five trains out of Skeggie to KL which the model could catch on a day return ticket any day except Sunday (when there are only three).

See https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/

Mind you, why anyone would want to return to Skeggie once they had tasted freedom is beyond me.

Then again, having frequently had to travel through KL from the Notts border and been astounded that a 60 mile road journey into Tractor Boy country  can regularly take close on two hours, I have often wondered why anyone would choose to live in that remote part of East Anglia.

Bob

Bob is off-linePlatinum Member
10 December 2015 09:22
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Devon
Honiton

Quote from RedChecker
My sister lives in Lynn and the trains pretty much only run to/from London from what she says (and not even to Norwich).

There is no direct service from KL to Norwich, but you can get there easily by changing trains at Ely.

The road journey between KL and Norwich on the A47 is just as slow as the A1 to KL stretch of the A17, with 35mph being a good average any time other than in the middle of the night, but as everybody there seems to drive a tractor it is hardly surprising.

Bob

PS. Since becoming eligible for wrinkly discount on the trains I've been making much more use of them and have ditched my 'motorway' car, now only running my little 'town' car. The UK's rail network is actually not too bad, just so long as you are not planning on travelling through the London or Birmingham connurbations during Lemming Time when long distance fares are set ridiculously high to try to create more space in the carriages for commuters.

w4pictures is off-line
10 December 2015 13:42
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

Quote from Bob
There is no direct service from KL to Norwich

Just hovered over without having read the thread and read this as "no direct service from Kuala Lumpur to Norwich".

Paul Hodson is off-line
12 December 2015 12:59
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Nope - you have to change at Aberystwyth
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Tim Cheesman is off-line
12 December 2015 18:52
MrTim
Photographer

Norfolk
Norwich

The public transport system in this country seems to be fundamentally broken to me. The train is sometimes cheaper if I know exactly what times I want to travel at least a month in advance, but if not the budget option is always going by car. Whether it's going halfway across the country or popping into town, the cost of petrol and parking is invariably significantly less than the train or bus fare. I know there are other costs involved in owning a car, but as I do have one the additional expense is what counts on a per journey basis. It really should be a luxury to travel on my own in a private vehicle rather than the low budget option, but that's not how it works!

Matthew G is online
13 December 2015 20:29
MG
Photographer
MG
Warwickshire

Quote from Bob
There is no direct service from KL to Norwich, but you can get there easily by changing trains at Ely.

The road journey between KL and Norwich on the A47 is just as slow as the A1 to KL stretch of the A17, with 35mph being a good average any time other than in the middle of the night, but as everybody there seems to drive a tractor it is hardly surprising.

Bob

PS. Since becoming eligible for wrinkly discount on the trains I've been making much more use of them and have ditched my 'motorway' car, now only running my little 'town' car. The UK's rail network is actually not too bad, just so long as you are not planning on travelling through the London or Birmingham connurbations during Lemming Time when long distance fares are set ridiculously high to try to create more space in the carriages for commuters.

Gees uncle Bob you've turned in to national rail enquiries! Haha. I miss the days where we used to call India tomfind out how we get from Coventry to Birmingham on the train to be told to catch the train to London and then change to Birmingham! They had no conception of where Coventry or Birmingham were in relation tomeach other! :-)

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
KinkyKaycee Missminiskirt toxicinnocence
alanbassettphotography ansonphotography Cliff Creativedge dave1980 DAVEYC djb1 Dolayley Hioctane James7799 jccj1 john2017 JohnDentonPhoto keltica Kjoservices mg mike0048 Philski photomart photostevo psn RealityImaging Reynard ricciarelli steveh32 Steveharratt Twilightphotography