Reminder Secure

PHOTOGRAPHIC STUDIO SIZE - Can Photographers help please?

Sparks Media London is off-line
04 December 2015 09:26
Pelush
Photographer

Hertfordshire
St. Albans

I would suggest to have at least 7 meters to allow enough distance between you and the model and being able to frame a subject of 1.80m with an 85mm lens.

considering also the space for your bums, the space for the background and a little of distance between the background and the subject.

as width a minimum of 5 meters o have the background and some side space for lights
height should be 3 meters minimum, perhaps a trus to hold overhead lights could be useful.

Consider, also, how much availableyou are to share your home services like kitchen and bathroom to your guests.

Suzy Monty is off-lineSilver Member
04 December 2015 10:08
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Quote from Pelush
I would suggest to have at least 7 meters to allow enough distance between you and the model and being able to frame a subject of 1.80m with an 85mm lens. considering also the space for your bums, the space for the background and a little of distance between the background and the subject. as width a minimum of 5 meters o have the background and some side space for lights height should be 3 meters minimum, perhaps a trus to hold overhead lights could be useful. Consider, also, how much availableyou are to share your home services like kitchen and bathroom to your guests.

Hi Allesandro,

Thank you for your valued advice.

None of the home services will be shared - hence the trench digging that is required for sewerage and electric cables - plan to have a loo/changing room and refreshment area with sink.

The one thing I am worried about is Business Rates.Not quite sure where we stand on those, since the proposed studio will only be used for hobbyists.

Regards Suzy frown
Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Imagefield is off-line
04 December 2015 10:15
Imagefield
Photographer
Imagefield
Greater Manchester
Manchester

Hi Suzy

Thats the problem with asking you get lots of opinions :-)

Having read Stephen Eliots post - I would not fundamentally disagree with him.
Painting it matt black will kill any light reflections.
Any colour at all is a bad idea (even wood is brown!)

But it will also mean you need a lot higher wattage of lighting, may be 3 stops more.
That means (dependent on what your doing) a 500w strobe will be around its maximum output and 500w continuous will look like you lit a candle.

So that brings up the question of how to kill of the light you don't want.
This is done by using 'flags' hanging black cloth or more commonly big 50mm polystyrene sheets (black onside white the other) in bicycle stands.

Have a look at 'studio B' here http://studiomanchester.com/?page_id=12

The other thing you may like to consider is
1 you can't have too many plug sockets
2 if possible put your studio lighting sockets on a different circuit
or if thats not possible surge protect any power supplies that a pc may be connected to.

Good luck with the dig!

Suzy Monty is off-lineSilver Member
04 December 2015 11:48
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Quote from Imagefield
Hi Suzy Thats the problem with asking you get lots of opinions :-) Having read Stephen Eliots post - I would not fundamentally disagree with him. Painting it matt black will kill any light reflections. Any colour at all is a bad idea (even wood is brown!) But it will also mean you need a lot higher wattage of lighting, may be 3 stops more. That means (dependent on what your doing) a 500w strobe will be around its maximum output and 500w continuous will look like you lit a candle. So that brings up the question of how to kill of the light you don't want. This is done by using 'flags' hanging black cloth or more commonly big 50mm polystyrene sheets (black onside white the other) in bicycle stands. Have a look at 'studio B' here http://studiomanchester.com/?page_id=12 The other thing you may like to consider is 1 you can't have too many plug sockets 2 if possible put your studio lighting sockets on a different circuit or if thats not possible surge protect any power supplies that a pc may be connected to. Good luck with the dig!

Hi Back Geoff,

Thanks very much.

StudioManchester looks as a studio should - clean & functional. Super!

All the best with your own photography.

Regards,

Suzy cheeky

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

23 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Cody illy_xx Methzee Winterlilly
bengie diphoto gazza GlasgowPhotographer imageatthemill keltica Ladiesman mikebee moorlane oro panda49 philippahh Photojoe670 photostevo plymjack stevegosh steveh32 Thunder_Photos Willjamieson