Reminder Secure

PHOTOGRAPHIC STUDIO SIZE - Can Photographers help please?

Peter Blanchflower is off-line
25 November 2015 10:34
blancho
Photographer
blancho
West Midlands
Solihull

"Garden is 100ft long and 80 ft wide"

100ft x 80 ft sounds perfect……

If its for casual shooting with flat uninteresting lighting any space can become a studio. If you want to beable to create anything and everything you need the space in all directions

firstly so you can shoot on a longer lens (wider lenses can look good but are often overused through lanyness or necessity) , and often so the subject isn't to near the lights, or to near the background if its lit so you don't get flair.

secondly so the lighting DOSNT bounce effortlessly (sorry to contradict your comment) you should be in control of all the light in the studio, if its reflecting off something it should be something you have placed there deliberately.

I would say ideally 4m x 10m minimum, with higher than a normal ceiling. I have less for my studio and it limits what I can do creatively.

Also most people paint their studios white so they look nice and the light bounces round. Unless your studio is very big paint it black then you can control the lighting, get shadow when needed and add the detail in the shadows etc as needed, my studio area is light and I can never create a real silhouette or black shadows.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
25 November 2015 11:26
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from blancho
Unless your studio is very big paint it black then you can control the lighting

Even many big commercial studios are painted black.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Peter Blanchflower is off-line
25 November 2015 11:40
blancho
Photographer
blancho
West Midlands
Solihull

thats because bigger studios bigger sets, bigger lights quite often,
black is the only technically correct option, but often isn't as pleasant in an amateur environment,

what ever you do don't go with anything non neutral, not white, grey , black. the colour will reflect and cast a coloured tinge to all your images

Suzy Monty is off-line
25 November 2015 11:46
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Quote from blancho
"Garden is 100ft long and 80 ft wide" 100ft x 80 ft sounds perfect…… If its for casual shooting with flat uninteresting lighting any space can become a studio. If you want to beable to create anything and everything you need the space in all directions firstly so you can shoot on a longer lens (wider lenses can look good but are often overused through lanyness or necessity) , and often so the subject isn't to near the lights, or to near the background if its lit so you don't get flair. secondly so the lighting DOSNT bounce effortlessly (sorry to contradict your comment) you should be in control of all the light in the studio, if its reflecting off something it should be something you have placed there deliberately. I would say ideally 4m x 10m minimum, with higher than a normal ceiling. I have less for my studio and it limits what I can do creatively. Also most people paint their studios white so they look nice and the light bounces round. Unless your studio is very big paint it black then you can control the lighting, get shadow when needed and add the detail in the shadows etc as needed, my studio area is light and I can never create a real silhouette or black shadows.

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply with your wise words.

Some photographers say Grey walls for a studio, which I guess is a compromise between white and black walls.

Black walls then. Satin or Gloss paint? Or maybe black curtains that can be pulled into place.

Total budget for studio is £10K - if it's not doable on that sort of money, then we shall use one of the bedrooms and purchase a fancy four poster for glamour work. At the moment awaiting quotes for work and seeing if an end of garden studio is actually  feasible. Electricity and water no problem anyway.

Regarding your other comments Peter - I love atmospheric shadowy images.

Regards,

Suzy frown
p.s. BTW...I thought these images you shot Peter, were pretty cool...were they taken in your current studio? Plenty of interesting shadow work going on there...

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Alan Johnson is off-line
26 November 2015 07:52
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

I'd go for matt black Suzy.  
If you go for black curtains,  try and use black velvet.  It is the best material I've ever found.  The drawback is you need to keep it well vacuumed,  overwise the dust shows!
When I was looking at large sheds, I found a 20' x 10' for around £1000 including delivery.
It's well worth having a couple of opening windows at opposite ends.  They can get very warm in the summer!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

Suzy Monty is off-line
26 November 2015 10:53
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall

Quote from Alan_Jay
I'd go for matt black Suzy.  
If you go for black curtains,  try and use black velvet.  It is the best material I've ever found.  The drawback is you need to keep it well vacuumed,  overwise the dust shows!
When I was looking at large sheds, I found a 20' x 10' for around £1000 including delivery.
It's well worth having a couple of opening windows at opposite ends.  They can get very warm in the summer!

Thanks Alan.

One photographer I know obtained planning permission for a super 'Granny Annex' and then built and used it for a photographic studio.

I Googled ' Sheds' at the start of this project - certainly loads to choose from and yes, you are right Alan, windows are a must...

I did an Art Nude shoot once, in a bog standard garden shed turned into a photo studio - no windows - boiling hot day outside, but the photographer had booked the space, so we used the studio shed and it was like a sauna by the end of shoot. No windows.

Appreciate your reply, Alan.

Regards,

Suzy smiley

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

pat hayes is off-line
03 December 2015 14:33
pat_hayes
Photographer
pat_hayes
Cornwall

When converting our single garage into a double/workshop with a studio use in mind I went for 6m x 7m, which turned out OK length and breadth-wise, but any smaller would have been not enough

BUT, the roof trusses and and beams kept the workable height down to 2m, which really isn't enough for any effective rim lighting or overhead lighting, unless of course your model is kneeling or laying on the floor, which works in certain shoots.

I know there will be others poo-pooing the height thing, but you really can't have enough height, think about it, your Plan B is to convert a bedroom, I bet it has high ceilings ??

Anyway, if you do go ahead, let me know, I would use a good-sized local studio, (I'm in Redruth) as I haven't found much suitable so far since Studio Southwest shut in Exeter, although Studio Hire Plymouth is pretty good
I'm semi-professional, I take peoples money and do a half decent job........

Suzy Monty is off-line
03 December 2015 15:24
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall

Quote from pat_hayes
When converting our single garage into a double/workshop with a studio use in mind I went for 6m x 7m, which turned out OK length and breadth-wise, but any smaller would have been not enough BUT, the roof trusses and and beams kept the workable height down to 2m, which really isn't enough for any effective rim lighting or overhead lighting, unless of course your model is kneeling or laying on the floor, which works in certain shoots. I know there will be others poo-pooing the height thing, but you really can't have enough height, think about it, your Plan B is to convert a bedroom, I bet it has high ceilings ?? Anyway, if you do go ahead, let me know, I would use a good-sized local studio, (I'm in Redruth) as I haven't found much suitable so far since Studio Southwest shut in Exeter, although Studio Hire Plymouth is pretty good

Hi Pat,

Many thanks for your comments.

Various photographers I know, have also found it difficult to source a good local studio here in Cornwall. Some photographers down here have their own studio space, but do not like renting it out. Which is fair enough - they have a living to make and need their studios for commercial work.

One photographer I know did find a small studio to rent, for a Christmas glamour shoot and found he could hardly fit the Christmas tree into the studio space. The way he told me the story was hilarious. (It wasn't a huge tree either ).

Another photographer who booked me, used a studio out in the wilds, only to discover that they only provided a single light box on gantry and on no account were we allowed to shoot glamour there.... So we just shot fashion, but wouldn't use the said studio again...It wasn't that cheap either.

Devon definitely seems better equipped, studio- wize. It takes us an hour or so to get to studios in Plymouth and even longer to Exeter - the traffic is always horrendous, no matter how early we start out. Cornwall would really benefit from a decent sized rental photographic studio.

Bedroom height in our own property is 8 ft. But we  have been down that route before, using our home for shoots, when I ran a model agency, and really, hubby would much prefer that proposed studio was at top of garden.

Springtime would be the starting time, if at all. It's amazing how the costs are already adding up in quotes supplied...

I've even started scanning local property pages, taking into account properties that have rooms, or an annex, or large double garage, or barn,  suitable for a photographic studio, that didn't encroach upon private space, within the house, as it were. Yes, there are some superb houses about, but think I need to win the lottery first. Won £25 on Premium Bonds today - so that's a start! blush

Regards,

Suzy frown

Imagefield is off-line
04 December 2015 05:08
Imagefield
Photographer
Imagefield
Greater Manchester
Manchester

It's down to maths... well 'some' of it is down to maths -

Object (hight or width) divided by sensor/film (hight or width) multiplied by focal length of lens

Model 5'7"(1700mm)
Full frame sensor 26mm (portrait) ....24 if landscape
lens 100mm

(1700/26)x100 = 6538

Or 6.538 meters

This is a very useful formula for figuring out which lens to take with which camera !

Though this does not account for depth of field behind the subject./ 3 rolls of background/ a cove or the space behind the camera for a photographer, kit, observers, changing room or MUA.

My 2p on colour - paint it white - everything - possibly a grey floor as its easier to maintain; but I would never book a black studio.

Suzy Monty is off-line
04 December 2015 06:48
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall

Quote from Imagefield
It's down to maths... well 'some' of it is down to maths - Object (hight or width) divided by sensor/film (hight or width) multiplied by focal length of lens Model 5'7"(1700mm) Full frame sensor 26mm (portrait) ....24 if landscape lens 100mm (1700/26)x100 = 6538 Or 6.538 meters This is a very useful formula for figuring out which lens to take with which camera ! Though this does not account for depth of field behind the subject./ 3 rolls of background/ a cove or the space behind the camera for a photographer, kit, observers, changing room or MUA. My 2p on colour - paint it white - everything - possibly a grey floor as its easier to maintain; but I would never book a black studio.

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for your advice.

That's interesting, when you say paint everything white...http://stephenelliot.com/2011/04/07/home-photo-studio1/

At moment, the trench ( for water connection/sewerage pipe & electric cable) to proposed studio is proving not exactly cost effective - has to be done by hand by contractor, as there isn't any access for a mini digger, let alone a full sized JCB.

Best regards,

Suzy frown

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
mghphoto photostevo Pictureimage Steveh32