Reminder Secure

PHOTOGRAPHIC STUDIO SIZE - Can Photographers help please?

Kevin Wilson is off-line
02 November 2015 08:32
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Advise that you check with local council the maximum size that you can build before requiring planning permission. Be cagey regarding it's use stress is not for commercial purpose's otherwise they will hit you for business rates, council tax.

Suzy Monty is off-line
02 November 2015 11:20
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Quote from kerandastudio2
Advise that you check with local council the maximum size that you can build before requiring planning permission. Be cagey regarding it's use stress is not for commercial purpose's otherwise they will hit you for business rates, council tax.

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for your valuable advice. We planned to tell local council that it would be a hobbies room.

I see that you have a purpose built studio yourself, so are obviously well versed in the planning procedure.

A studio of one's own is a very useful tool to have as a model. I know some models shoot from home, but an actual well equipped studio is a real plus.

The professional studios that I've worked here in Cornwall, do not have the time or inclination to let their premises out to amateurs. There used to be a very good studio near St. Austell, run by a professional photographer and his model partner - they did very well too, lovely people - but sadly closed now.

I would be catering for the amateur photographers within the county. There are gorgeous locations in Cornwall abound during fine weather, but as soon as the weather turns very cold, or it is grey and rainy, (mist and rain down here is called 'muzzle' ) then, there is a great shortage of where to actually shoot - hope to fill that needed gap in the market at reasonable rates.

I've shot in some professional 'studios' which are no more than an ordinary garden shed size...yet the photographers knew their trade so well, that the results were brilliant.

Will take it step by step. There are certainly lots of garden studios to choose from - depending on budget of course laugh

Many thanks again,

Suzy frown

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Suzy Monty is off-line
02 November 2015 11:30
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall

Quote from redbaron
I would say don't bank on the studio hire. There is probably a very good reason you don't have any local. I'm in a pretty good position between two large towns and a station nearby. Even so we get very few hires. True i don't make any serious effort to push that side of the business though.

The studio is on here as immortaleye. There is a couple of shots of the shoot area, which ought to give you an idea of the dimentions in real life. (BTW Purestorm if you are not going to give the option of viewing the code in the editor and least sort the bug out with posting a URL so you can type after creating it without all the text becoming part of the URL )

http://purestorm.com/immortaleye

Hi Baron,

ABSOLUTELY the Bees Knees Super studio. Lucky models and photographers who shoot there!

Thanks for the details. Totally professional in every way cheeky

Regards,

Suzy frown

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Suzy Monty is off-line
02 November 2015 11:50
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall

Quote from RedChecker
Smaller studios are inherently more difficult to light due to spill and light refelection off walls (not to mention restriction on focal lengths).

Couple that with the fact that the biggest proportion of photographers wanting to use a home studio would likely be (I'm assuming) less experienced, it would be harder for them to get anything useful from a small studio such as a shed/garage, and even more experienced photographers may struggle due to lack of familiarity with the space provided.

That in mind, if you're having your own lights in there it would be good to have one or two preset light setups that simply just work and all they have to do is press the shutter at standard settings (eg. 100 ISO, 1/125, F8 ), light restricting modifiers such as grids & barndoors would be advised if doing anything other than flat lighting, dark painted walls will also help to a degree. A model who I'm good friends with has such a setup in her garage and it's worked well for her.

Personally I hate small studio spaces and would much rather shoot in 'real' surroundings (even if small) given the choice.

Hi Steven,

Many thanks for your valued advice.

TOTALLY agree that I would rather have a shoot in 'real' surroundings, than a bog standard studio...but when Ye Olde Cornish muzzle (rain and mist) hits the county, a nice warm studio with the right facilities is a haven from which to create pictures.

Your model friend who set up a studio in her garage, reminds me of a local amatuer photographer who built a very large double garage and then turned it into a super super photographic studio - it is absolutely amazing, with just about every gadget going and a fair sized changing room for models (no loo - so one does have to rather cross one's legs until shoot over ) - but when the council chap came round initially to check the building, he said ' this isn't going to be a garage is it?' Not daft those council peeps... The said studio is for photographer's personal use ONLY, he would never rent it out to other photographers.

I get asked time and time again during the murky Winter months, if there are any studios around for amateur photographers. Some photographers I know, use the local University's facilities - some large size studios available on the campus, some small, but they are quite limited, and NO food or drink allowed therein. So No  lol...NO mirrors, never mind a full length one or even proper changing room for models.

Setting up a new studio takes time and money obviously...many thanks for all the advice on this Forum Post - most grateful broken heart

All the best,

Regards,

Suzy frown

Paul Thompson is off-linePlatinum Member
16 November 2015 18:24
Biggles485
Photographer
Biggles485
Hampshire
Fareham

I tend to work with a lot of new models so to help keep down costs I shoot at home generally, I have Elinchrome lights, backdrops, various props mostly from charity shops and backdrops. My room is about 8 feet high, by 13 feet wide but is over 35 feet in length. Most images on here unless states studio or on location are taken in the house or garden

Good luck with your venture, have fun and enjoy, remember to build walls, a well and the likes in the garden and plumb in outside / waterproof electrics on an RCD so that main powered lighting can be set up outdoors!
When going through Hell don't stop!

Suzy Monty is off-line
17 November 2015 04:57
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall

Quote from Biggles485
I tend to work with a lot of new models so to help keep down costs I shoot at home generally, I have Elinchrome lights, backdrops, various props mostly from charity shops and backdrops. My room is about 8 feet high, by 13 feet wide but is over 35 feet in length. Most images on here unless states studio or on location are taken in the house or garden Good luck with your venture, have fun and enjoy, remember to build walls, a well and the likes in the garden and plumb in outside / waterproof electrics on an RCD so that main powered lighting can be set up outdoors!

Hi Paul,

Yes, that is very sound advice. Many thanks.

I notice a lot of successful photographers and models on here, shoot from home. Those that live on farms are especially fortunate with barn space and marvellous on site props!

Regards,

Suzy

Paul Thompson is off-linePlatinum Member
17 November 2015 05:28
Biggles485
Photographer
Biggles485
Hampshire
Fareham

Good luck Suzy, whatever the outcome have fun with this venture!
When going through Hell don't stop!

Sensationelle is off-lineGold Member
18 November 2015 12:17
Flyingphotographer
Photographer
Flyingphotographer
Highland
Inverness

Suzy, I'm sure you've visited studios , which ones were best to work in?
What sizes were they?
Mine is 14m x 7 m and double height, but that makes it a bugger to heat!
plus changing toilets kitchen.
Hope that helps
David

marlham is off-line
18 November 2015 13:10
marlhamphoto
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending
marlhamphoto
Kent
Canterbury

Quote from RedChecker
Smaller studios are inherently more difficult to light due to spill and light refelection off walls (not to mention restriction on focal lengths).

Couple that with the fact that the biggest proportion of photographers wanting to use a home studio would likely be (I'm assuming) less experienced, it would be harder for them to get anything useful from a small studio such as a shed/garage, and even more experienced photographers may struggle due to lack of familiarity with the space provided.

That in mind, if you're having your own lights in there it would be good to have one or two preset light setups that simply just work and all they have to do is press the shutter at standard settings (eg. 100 ISO, 1/125, F8 ), light restricting modifiers such as grids & barndoors would be advised if doing anything other than flat lighting, dark painted walls will also help to a degree. A model who I'm good friends with has such a setup in her garage and it's worked well for her.

Personally I hate small studio spaces and would much rather shoot in 'real' surroundings (even if small) given the choice.

I echo this completely.

There's a huge difference between a photographer using his own small studio space and being able to get worthwhile images out of the place having got thoroughly used to its  limitations and somebody who turns up for a day hire. The latter is likely to struggle in a small space he isn't familiar with.

Suzy Monty is off-line
18 November 2015 15:18
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall

Quote from Flyingphotographer
Suzy, I'm sure you've visited studios , which ones were best to work in? What sizes were they? Mine is 14m x 7 m and double height, but that makes it a bugger to heat! plus changing toilets kitchen. Hope that helps David

Hi David,

Your studio sounds good - the double height means light bounces effortlessly...the studio space within,  means you can be innovative with sets and styling, helping you and model be more creative. Brilliant stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Although,I have to say that from experience it isn't always SIZE that matters, it is QUALITY laugh
I once modelled in a huge London Studio for a top woman's magazine fashion shoot - they wanted movement in my hair...the studio had no wind machine, not even a bog standard fan...they had to use a hair dryer. There were assistants for assistants on that shoot - peeps everywhere, yet I still felt some studios in the West Country had better facilities. They spent a fortune on bringing in caterers to feed everyone for the lunch - no wonder, I thought, that glossy magazines are so expensive to buy...mmmm

Yet, have also modelled in tiny studios with super results. Have modelled in a tiny Shepherd's hut even and again, results were very good.

Have come across nice studios, but spoilt by the dirty loo/shower that haven't been cleaned, one would judge for a decade - felt like taking a bottle of bleach in... and everyone knows cleanliness is next to godliness.

Some studios - no mirrors. Although I've done a fashion shoot in middle of muddy field before now, without a long mirror, just a hand mirror I had brought along, and no stylist to assist , yet many costume changes and it came out more than fine... It's all down to experience.

The list of plus and minus is endless.

Even portable studios can work...it's all in the talent of the photographer. No good having an all dancing and all singing studio if not knowing what to do with it.

This forum post has for me, been most instructive and a good learning curve. Thanks to all that took part.cheekyYour valued advice has been much appreciated xx

Best Regards,

Suzy

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Argentiq FirstLifePhotography Fluffypup George99 keltica martinchristie photostevo redtail Ross85 scottmcccxiv Thunder_Photos TinDolls