Reminder Secure

PHOTOGRAPHIC STUDIO SIZE - Can Photographers help please?

Suzy Monty is off-lineSilver Member
01 November 2015 13:00
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

Hello there Photographers,

Would be very grateful if you could answer my query.

We are thinking of building a home photographic studio at the end of our long garden...what sizing would be most suitable please?

Obviously ceiling height is important, so that light bounces correctly.

As a model, I've been photographed in all manner size garden studios...but really want to get my own studio sizing right from the start.

Studio to be built in log cabin style. Garden is 100ft long and 80 ft wide.

Many thanks, in anticipation of your advice.

Suzy laugh
Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
01 November 2015 13:34
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Well my studio is 4.3mx5.7m for the shoot area though I have over 900sqft in total with changing area, reception viewing lounge and storage. I don't thinks I would want it any narrower and a little wider would have been nice. It does depend a bit out how the studio is being used of course but a basic setup is a full roll of background paper with adequate space on either side to set up flash units 'off stage' This could be to cross light for art nude or other styles. It may be to blow a white background to avoid editing it later.

The length just about allows the use of my 70-200 Lens at the 70mm end for a full length shot if needs be without the model having to be too close to the background. Again a little more would have been nice but a little less not an issue. these days I shoot a 24-100 and always have several feet free behind me even with big groups

I use this studio day in day out and have had everything from newborns to family groups of 12.

I did look at a cabin once. I think the biggest off the peg was around 5.5m square which should work. Choose an apex wall for the background so you can get in up higher. that is my one limitation. I think I have 2.7m at that end but a beam stopped me mounting the background support brackets right at the top so I only use two out of the three rolls it can take.

Some printed backgrounds are nearly 3m tall so try to have this for the width of a standard paper roll if practical
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

01 November 2015 14:08
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall

WOW! That was so quick and so informative...Brilliant Baron!
Have copied what you wrote, word for word and given same to hubby cheeky This is a project for us to undertake over the coming months. Plan to use studio for myself and to rent out to interested photographers, at reasonable rate, as there seems a distinct lack of studio space to rent here in Cornwall. Devon fares better...

Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Profile Pictures is off-line
01 November 2015 15:28
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Sorry, what was the question?

01 November 2015 15:42
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall

Quote from SuzyMonty
Hello there Photographers,

Would be very grateful if you could answer my query.

We are thinking of building a home photographic studio at the end of our long garden...what sizing would be most suitable please?

Obviously ceiling height is important, so that light bounces correctly.

As a model, I've been photographed in all manner size garden studios...but really want to get my own studio sizing right from the start.

Studio to be built in log cabin style. Garden is 100ft long and 80 ft wide.

Many thanks, in anticipation of your advice.

Suzy laugh

Hi Neil,

That was the question as above...

I think Baron answered my query very comprehensively...I just have to sound out the local Council, to see what permission is required for a garden studio. Plenty of garden studios flat packed, ready to build,  advertised on the internet...I need a changing room and loo and actual studio, but it's all do-able.

All the best,

Suzy cheeky

redbaron is off-lineSilver Member
01 November 2015 16:59
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I would say don't bank on the studio hire. There is probably a very good reason you don't have any local. I'm in a pretty good position between two large towns and a station nearby. Even so we get very few hires. True i don't make any serious effort to push that side of the business though.

The studio is on here as immortaleye. There is a couple of shots of the shoot area, which ought to give you an idea of the dimentions in real life. (BTW Purestorm if you are not going to give the option of viewing the code in the editor and least sort the bug out with posting a URL so you can type after creating it without all the text becoming part of the URL )

http://purestorm.com/immortaleye
Photography and Studio hire www.immortaleye.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
02 November 2015 04:03
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Smaller studios are inherently more difficult to light due to spill and light refelection off walls (not to mention restriction on focal lengths).

Couple that with the fact that the biggest proportion of photographers wanting to use a home studio would likely be (I'm assuming) less experienced, it would be harder for them to get anything useful from a small studio such as a shed/garage, and even more experienced photographers may struggle due to lack of familiarity with the space provided.

That in mind, if you're having your own lights in there it would be good to have one or two preset light setups that simply just work and all they have to do is press the shutter at standard settings (eg. 100 ISO, 1/125, F8 ), light restricting modifiers such as grids & barndoors would be advised if doing anything other than flat lighting, dark painted walls will also help to a degree. A model who I'm good friends with has such a setup in her garage and it's worked well for her.

Personally I hate small studio spaces and would much rather shoot in 'real' surroundings (even if small) given the choice.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Clarke is off-lineSilver Member
02 November 2015 05:56
penfoldpc
Photographer
penfoldpc
Worcestershire
Redditch

I had a 5 metre wide by 20 metre in length with 3 metre high ceiling. I found it just the right size to shoot with an infinity curve at one end and hi glide for the lights. You need to remember storage areas for props and bits and bobs. I also had a small changing room.

I still have all the lights, backgrounds infinity curve etc. All the kit needed for a pro studio. I had to shut the studio a couple of years ago to concentrate on refurbishing a house. Now I can't find a suitable building around Worcestershire to open it again.

David Hunt is off-line
02 November 2015 06:10
dhuntuk
Photographer

Surrey
Camberley

I know the minimum size of a home studio has been discussed tons of times in the past, and generally the minimum size has always been agreed to be about 16' wide by 20' long internally. If it can be longer, than yippee!

Yeah, sure. Paint the end wall white, but paint the rest of it grey. That way the photographers should be able to control the light. Oh, and some black/white painted polystyrene (8'x4') sheets as well.....

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
02 November 2015 07:36
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from dhuntuk
I know the minimum size of a home studio has been discussed tons of times in the past, and generally the minimum size has always been agreed to be about 16' wide by 20' long internally.

I'd never heard of a minimum size where home studios are concerned (although that side I would consider useable as it could shoot full length with an 85mm lens) due to practicalities involved, but certainly for a general purpose commercial studio hiring itself out for all manner of photographic projects (not just modelling/portraiture) I'd expect it to be 8x8x4m (I've read this in several books by pro photographers I own) and would be slightly miffed if it were less and I were paying commercial rates for it.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Livespirit pinklilly Winterlilly
AaronKent bengie guitarman Ladiesman MauricesImagery mlp panda49 Reynard Rhadamanthus