Photography shops vs The Internet

JSP is off-linePlatinum Member
12 October 2015 06:20
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

I used to enjoy travelling into the city to visit my local photography shop. You are able to check out the cameras there and then. Have a play with the cameras; check it out and make sure it is the camera for you. You even got pretty good advice from those that were selling. This has all but gone from the high street now days.

Most high street photography shops are now a distant past. I personally do not like the amount of research you have to do on the Internet and then hope and pray that the camera that you purchased comes, lives up to your expectations. Obviously if it doesn’t then you have to send it back pretty quickly.

Don’t you miss the days when you could just walk into a photography shop and check out the latest camera there and then??

I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
12 October 2015 06:50
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'll be honest and say I don't miss them. Sure, it was exciting to go into them and look at all the gear but the research the internet allows means I can make very informed choices about equipment rather than simply basing it on how something feels/looks and now rarely make purchasing mistakes, especially considering the stuff I buy is generally at the higher end of the market (eg. Canon L-series lenses, Profoto lighting). In honesty, the only mistakes I seem to make are those where I've bought cheaper items as a substitute for something far more expensive.

Besides, I never have the time to go shopping/looking and hate crowds anyway so internet shopping is fine by me*.

* - I do live near Calumet's distribution warehouse which has a walk-in reception (which is almost always empty) so many purchases have gone through there.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

12 October 2015 10:04
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Quote from RedChecker
I'll be honest and say I don't miss them. Sure, it was exciting to go into them and look at all the gear but the research the internet allows means I can make very informed choices about equipment rather than simply basing it on how something feels/looks and now rarely make purchasing mistakes, especially considering the stuff I buy is generally at the higher end of the market (eg. Canon L-series lenses, Profoto lighting). In honesty, the only mistakes I seem to make are those where I've bought cheaper items as a substitute for something far more expensive. Besides, I never have the time to go shopping/looking and hate crowds anyway so internet shopping is fine by me*. * - I do live near Calumet's distribution warehouse which has a walk-in reception (which is almost always empty) so many purchases have gone through there.

Yes I use to do a little bit of research online before going to have a look in the shops. Unfortunately where I live there are no camera shops any more.
I’m sorry about the white jacket with ties at the back. My doctor says I’ve made excellent progress and I will be released from Broadmoor on Tuesday; fancy a shoot on Wednesday!?

Profile Pictures is off-line
12 October 2015 11:35
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

Mostly if I'm buying, it'll be high value stuff, in which case a drive over to Wex at Norwich is always a good start point. If you're laying out hundreds of pounds or more, its the sensible I feel. Nothing negative to say about any of my dealings with them either. Combining internet/mail/shop works there.

HowardJ is off-line
12 October 2015 16:36
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Not really. The staff in most high street shops haven't got a clue what they're selling.

I still occasionally pop into a shop to try out a new bit of kit, but then I'll buy it online as the high Street prices can't compete.

Profile Pictures is off-line
12 October 2015 19:14
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds

I wonder why anyone serious would need shop staff advice really? Solid pricing, availability, hands on, warranty etc, are good though.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
13 October 2015 03:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from profilepictures
I wonder why anyone serious would need shop staff advice really?

The last thing I actually went to the shop for was due to having a very specific question for the item which I couldn't find online.  That said, every manufacturer has cottoned on to Facebook/Twitter now and will generally respond to queries.

I'll confess though that I did want a touchy-feely of this thing as well bearing in mind it was £4500, but my heart was already set, especially since the answer to the question I had was positive.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

13 October 2015 04:58
paule
Photographer

no camera shops in the centre of Dodge anymore.. closest thing we have is PC World / Currys.. and they can be a little more corporate than personal..

Closest Jessops is 50+ miles away, they used to be good, I don't know now as I've not used their shops since they buy out

An independent shop closed down a few years ago and had very knowledgeable staff, no more.

Internet is great for research and price hunting so saves loads of time.

raw and the cooked is off-line
16 October 2015 05:24
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

i use a shop. I've been shopping at Calumet, euston, since before they were Calumet! Ditto the flash centre! I've had good advice, though not strictly needed, and last time I went to TFC to exchange a brand new but faulty CF card, I walked out with a hundred and fifty quids worth of ex rental Eli light modifiers by way of an apology!

That ain't gonna happen on the internet!

I occasionally use an independent shop in Hampstead. I bought a brand new sigma lens from him, which I knew I could have got cheaper on the net! Here's the thing! He keeps his eye open for second hand nikon lenses I might be interested in, and gives me first dibs! That's proved a valuable and cost effective way to do business.......

Bought my yongnuo triggers on the net though, and no problems...

07 November 2015 07:24
Ladiesman
Photographer
Ladiesman
Leicestershire
Leicestershire

Well I think when you dealing with hundreds of pounds it's a good idea to hold the camera in your hands and give it a try in the shop there and then. Most of us know what we're looking for so will spot what it can and cannot do there and then. If the assistant is bull****ing it will become very obvious.

I find video reviews online either biased or inaccurate (apart from 1 or 2 that are absolutely spot on). And those ones that are Spot On are usually the ones I find last.

I suppose I ought to get better at searching the internet and making use of Facebook etc.

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
aphoto82 Bane711 George99 iestyn photofrank Platidonio sammylhel siclews Steveh32 viewphotographic